1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Aboard the Luke Walton Bandwagon: check in here if you agree

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Apr 20, 2016.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have many posts in this thread. Please read them. I have made many points.

Cmon. A top assistant coach on a historically dominant champion. Followed up by being the lead assistant on the all time best team, and oh yeah being the acting head coach to a 39-4 record, hasn't had much of anything to do with it? That makes no sense.

Right, maybe any coach we hire won't have special players. So what? Get a crappy coach? Get a coach who might be able to coach up crappy players? No... If they can coach they can coach. Got to also have special players. Hopefully we'll have those

Haha. He was effectively fired from his last job (ahem... The Rockets) and the last time he coached the NBA was a different animal. It's been almost 20 years since JVG went to the Finals. There's plenty of risk with him.

No one is a slam dunk. The team can't afford a below average coach. Again no team can. You're assuming that there's a ton of other obvious candidate. There was really just one - Thibs. Recent coach, success, defensive minded, success with Harden. He's gone. Everyone else has lots of risk.

Moreover it's like saying you wouldn't hire Kerr tomorrow if you could. you'd make the same argument about Kerr two here ago.

2. JayZ750

This doesn't have much to do with anything. Maybe there's racism involved. Ok. And Mike Brown isn't a good coach.

Who knows. Again maybe racism. Maybe the players themselves are racist... Since its them being quoted. And speaking in interviews. Or maybe that stuff helped. The players seem to think so.

3. houtown

houtown Member

But was not Green on the team on the time. Trash I do not think so, maybe you should think about what you say as maybe trash, I have a feeling if Mark Jackson were to still be coaching the team, Green will be riding the bench due to not being able to manage his personality or not being able to take advantage of his strengths on the court.

Either way, the team reached had an insane amount of progress after getting eliminated the first round the year before Kerr coached the team.

4. JayZ750

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Isn't Luke like in his late 20's?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you hire someone like Luke it is going to be failure or success

slightly less middleground, all for it.

I came to hate the inbetween mediocrity!

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Mid to late 30s

8. houtown

houtown Member

Who knows if Luke Walton will succeed, just because you are uncertain about him does not make him doomed to fail as a bad prospect. I think he is still a better bet than going after another possible puppet coach, or coaches like Jeff Van Gundy who have already failed coaching two superstars at the time.

He seems like he might contain similar intangibles as Phil Jackson, and forget what Harden wants, hiring a coach to his like is probably a recipe for disaster for the team.

This team needs a level headed coach who has had experience with working with all time great coaches and players as both a player and coach. I see no reason why not to at least give him a serious look as becoming the next coach.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They were great before his interim stint... they were great after his interim stint. And chances are, when he leaves... they'll still be great.

Meanwhile, the first of the departures (Gentry, who was not just the lead assistant... he was basically the co-head coach, with Kerr never having coached before) has not had anywhere close to the same success (on a team that has a generational-type star player and more overall promise than anything the Rockets have).

I said get a coach with skins on the wall and one who's faced adversity before.

You'd need a former player who was a key contributor on a championship team, former GM, and a player who played under some great coaches... John Paxon? Joe Dumars? Isiah Thomas?

Kerr was not simply some out of work ex-player that came out of nowhere. Walton doesn't even have the skins on the wall that Kerr had... despite his assistant coaching experience.

Also, if you're merely choosing Walton to try and replicate the other-worldly success Kerr had, odds are highly against pulling a rabbit out of your hat twice.

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Luke Walton hasnt proven shat!

Let him start at the bottom and prove something before considering him coaching a highly rated franchise

11. houtown

houtown Member

Very rarely do coaches "prove" something before coaching or becoming big time.

And when big time, they usually stay with one franchise, and no other team usually has a shot at hiring them as a coach.

They usually start of as assistants, as Phil Jackson did for the Bulls, then he eventually got promoted to head coach after Doug Collins coached the team

12. houtown

houtown Member

Very rarely do coaches "prove" something before coaching or becoming big time.

And when big time, they usually stay with one frenchise, and no other team ususally has a shot at hiring them as a coach.

They usually start of as assistants, as Phil Jackson did for the Bulls, and then he eventually got promoted to head coach after Doug Collins coached the team.*

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Kerr didn't play Green either till Lee got injured and was out, so if Lee hadn't gotten hurt, Green would be riding the bench and the warriors wouldn't be a contender against teams like SA

14. dmoneybangbang

I think he will go to NYC to be with Phil Jackson.

I don't know if I would want him as a head coach. I agree with some of JayZ750 points, but need to see him succeed outside of GS in some capacity before handing over the keys.

I could be talked into if this was a situation similar to when we hired McHale, i.e., no Harden or clear player to build around.

15. dragonz

dragonz Member

Luke Walton is not my choice of coach, but I do agree we need a young coach that can understand the analytical way of thinking. Some of those old coaches can't even use a smart phone properly.

I am not familiar with college basketball, I would like to know is there another promising young coach like Brad Steven out there?

16. Remlap

Remlap Member

Luke Walton?
    No thanks.

Just because he ran the Warriors for a little bit without being a train wreck doesn't
    mean he's a top flight coach.
    The towel boy could have babysat that team during that stretch with similar results.
    Those guys already know their system and they obviously know their stuff.
    No real credit to Luke Walton

Put him at the helm of the TWolves for a little bit and let's see if he can work some magic.
    Then I'll be convinced

17. RoxD

RoxD Member

The fact is Green started in the first game that Kerr coached, when Lee was still out with injury.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Anyone who would actually think this ... would probably think Luke Walton could change life for the Rockets.

It's baffling how fans continue to think that there's some secret coaching sauce that only a select few have the recipe to. Oh, and those guys just happen to also have legendary players on their roster.

It's like the Rockets' coaching staff was never highly thought of by anyone, and don't spend their entire existence working night and day to improve the team on the floor. Like they're just bumbling fools who deserve to be second-guessed by Joe Clutchfan on every single possession, because he spends a lot of time on basketball-reference.

If you want to know why the Warriors are 32 games better than the Rockets, a good place to start would be realizing that James Harden is a lot closer to Klay Thompson than he is to Curry.

19. JayZ750

I'm not going to respond point by point. Suffice it to say I disagree with pretty much all of this.

20. OpportunityCost

These people on here only want someone they already have an emotional Rocket-related connection to - JVG, Cassell, Elie - lol. People here don't think outside of the box. Also, if he could bring some of the Warrior's system here, God bless him. To those saying that won't work here - complete baloney! So I guess you'd rather see ISOs all day with Ariza firing up last second 3-point bricks, lol. Constant motion and numerous picks can make it easier for ANY team to score - some of you are clueless.