1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9/13: What a day in college football...and it's only 3:45!!!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tierre_brown, Sep 13, 2003.

1. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I was just watching gameplan (ESPN PPV college football package) at my friend's place on satellite. We were watching the UT vs Arkansas game. UPSET CITY!!! Wow, what a horrendous loss...at least in the Chris Simms era, we would only choke in the big games...

We switched the channel to watch OSU vs NC State, which went into TRIPLE OT, with a few bad calls, but the Bucks won by an inch (reminiscient of the Kevin Dyson Titans Super Bowl stretch).

I've always been a fan of college football (mostly OSU and UT, for those who haven't guessed by now:) ) and this is one of the most exciting non-bowl, non-rivalry weekends in a long time! (unless someone can bring up a better weekend?

2. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

no that my team has done it's yearly ritual,

i'm waiting for my other team Gatech to possibly upset FSU tonight...

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

All I have to say is that Noel Mazzone, the Offensive Coordinator for NC State, should be f*cking castrated.

How in the hell can you call TWO f*cking QB sneaks like that at the end is beyond me! That is beyond r****ded! I was like "Damn, just give OSU the game, NC State!"

So sad and pitiful that the O-Coordinator didn't EVEN give his team the chance to win at the end.

That is 2 weeks in a row that Ohio State has escaped by the skin of their teeth. Seeing crap like today's game makes me think that the Buckeyes are luckier than Notre Dame and Penn State put together.:mad:

4. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Oh come on Manny, you having flashbacks to Tempe an OT?

OSU scored when they needed to. We played terrible and won. Call that what you like but when you play a bad game (like the last 2 weeks) and win it says something.

This game the refs threw every flag against us in OT and we won. Now I won't say we're in New Orleans in January but this team knows how to win.

5. mduke

mduke Member

@$#&&@#($&)(!@#$*)

Lance Mitchell out for the year. Strait could be gone 8 weeks as well :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

damn, we might be able to get all the way up to 30 yards rushing against you in dallas this year with those two out.

and how did y'all end up giving fresno 28 pts in the 2nd half?

7. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Notre Dame dun real good today ;)

8. mduke

mduke Member

2nd team D has been just short of terrible this year.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Paul. Thompson. Is. Fast.

9. Manny Ramirez

Um, no, Chuckie, but real cute, though.

LOL, the refs threw every flag against you in OT?? Yea, that is what they are supposed to do when a team commits penalties. But hey I guess since you played that game in Columbus, the Buckeyes should never get penalized for anything.:rolleyes:

Too bad that the refs blew that call on the TRAPPED interception which led to a touchdown and what do you know? OSU wins by 6!!

If I was you, Chuckie, I would be like I was last week when Miami won against Florida, grateful and humble, especially considering this is the second week in a row that the mighty Buckeyes were outplayed by the other team.

10. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

So I see this is turning into a Buckeye bashing thread...hmm...

I'm a big fan of OSU football (my first ever football game watched in person was OSU vs Michigan as a confused 7 year old) but I have to admit that this trend of close wins is very disturbing. Last year, I could say, "Well, at least the other team's a decent team" or something to that effect, but SDSU is NOT on the same level as OSU, yet they played us hard right to the last minute.

This NC State game only goes to show how much we need a running game. I'm not going to start proclaiming the Bucks NC (just yet:) ). Our defense needs to step it up to AT LEAST the same level it was at last year because, let's face it, the only ground game we have going right now is in the legs of our QB. He's bound to get tired having to run for 100 yards as well as throw for another 100.

I admit that OSU is lucky, they seem to get a lot of breaks go their way, but that's what football is: a combination of skill and luck. Sure, we got lucky on the trapped ball INT call. Sure we got lucky on a few of the ref calls in Tempe. Sure we were lucky that NC St. OC thought he could call 2 QB sneaks and win. But that's what it boils down to. Skill and luck. We have a lot of the latter, we'll see if this squad has enough of the former.

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Manny I am normally grateful and humble but since you can never give OSU any credit, then I give them credit. It gets old to me to have you rip OSU after every game, just like I'm sure you get tired of me mentioning the Fiesta Bowl.

Is OSU a great team right now, no. But these guys know how to win. OSU plays to the level of it's competition. We play well against good teams (Miami, Michigan, Washigton, Washington State in last couple years) and we play down to our level of competition (notably SDSU and Cincy).

So I'm not planning on the Bucks going undefeated this year. But I'll keep rooting for them and see where the cards fall.

PS - It's interesting you rip NC State's O-Coordinator for play calls when they didn't score on 1st and goal, yet Miami was in a nearly identcial situation vs. OSU and didn't score. I guess it's the playing calling that matters and not the execution huh?

12. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I was at the Alabama v Kentucky game tonight, and a few observations:

• Jared Lorenzen is FAT, but he's an interesing QB. He did nothing in this game however.

For those Tech fans...
    • Shaud Williams is the most unbelievable and explosive (Alabama) offsensive player I've seen since Shaun Alexander.
    • I shook the hand of the really really really really really old mayor's hand who was being honored and presented with an American flag before the game for his military service (which they do before every game; that is honoring an American hero). Last week it was Bert Bank (longtime affiliate with the UA, but known for surviving 33 months as a prisoner of war and a Baton Death March surviver.
    • Brodie Croyle is mediocre at best. The play callin' just ain't right. I also was 2 feet away from him during warmups (I know, big deal, but it's awesome that you can stand on a fence and be that close to the game. Try that in the pros;)).
    • Woo Hoo! I ran on the field after the game! Actually, the gates are open, so it's pretty much free reign to do so. I found a mouthpiece last year...

And that's about it I guess.

13. Manny Ramirez

Chuckie,

Miami wasn't STUPID enough to run TWO QB sneaks in the Fiesta Bowl last season, and correct me if I am wrong, but I think they had a false start that caused them to go back to the 8 yard line. That is gonna make it a little tougher to score than instead of being at the 3 or the 5.

Oh and I'll give Ohio State credit when they smash the teams they are supposed to (see San Diego State) and/or beat Michigan, which may be the best team in the country right now.

14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I don't disagree. If there was not a pre-season poll and someone ranked the top 5 teams based on this years games then my Buckeyes would have a hard time cracking the top 5 (Oklahoma, Michigan, Miami, USC would be 1-4 and I would probably say Georgia would be #5 just based on how they handled S. Carolina).

I'll tell you we prolly won't smash anyone except Northwestern and Indiana for the rest of the schedule. We showed last year w-out Maurice we win with Defense and Special Teams. Our offense is not good at all (our O-line is as pathetic as last year despite playing together for an entire year) without #13 breaking tackles. So I would really expect to see alot of ugly games.

We'll see how everything plays out, I am very worried about Bowling Green this coming weekend. We are comign off ahuge win and witht eh Big 10 season starting the following week, it will be an easy game to overlook.

15. Manny Ramirez

The thing about Ohio State and any other team that "wins ugly" is that the perception is that they are not a dominant team. Look at Michigan and the way they rolled Houston. Yes, Houston is terrible but beating them 50-3 looks more impressive, obviously, than winning 10-7. That has always been my gripe with Ohio State....that commentators and media people build them up to be this dominant powerhouse simply because they are the defending National Champions. Yes, they are a solid good team and Tressel is one of the best coaches out there, but their style is one that makes me think that they have gotten incredibly lucky and that their luck will have to run out soon. Some teams are destined to have magical seasons...Tennessee (who I also despise) had it in 1998 and Ohio State had it last year. I just don't see Ohio State repeating again if they are going to have this much trouble every week, but maybe it will happen for them. However, the odds are slim in repeating in the first place and then winning like they have been winning every week is just as slim.

In looking at the top teams, I would rank Michigan, Oklahoma, and USC at the top as the few times that I have seen those 3 teams, I do not see any weaknesses. I see weaknesses in Miami, Ohio State, Florida State, and everyone else. Hopefully, Miami will get their weaknesses solved before too long, but it is a long season and who knows, maybe Miami and OSU will play each other again in New Orleans.