1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn mower recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Jan 21, 2016.

1. droxford

droxford Member

I suggest the following:
    1. Take note of the horsepower. A lot of mowers nowadays try to focus on torque as a way to hide the weakness of the engine. I was VERY happy with the 6.75 hp craftsman I used to have. Its replacement has a weaker engine and it makes mowing much harder. With anything less than four, mowing thick St. Augustine grass becomes almost impossible.
    2. Get self-propelled. Don't even think about not getting this.
    3. I, too, recommend craftsman. Mine lasted about 15 years before its transmission gave out, totaling it.

Try calling Southwest Mower Services and see what they have to offer. I've never bought from them, but I've had them service my mower and edger and they've done a good job.

2. droxford

droxford Member

FYI, this mower has a 4.4 horsepower engine.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

4. papadrunk

papadrunk Member

Unlike others on this thread, I would steer clear from Craftsman. The brand is no reliable - IMO. I've had a Craftsman power drill and several lawn mowers crap out within a year or two. I purchased a Craftsman, self-propelled lawn mower two years ago, which was initially great. It started on the first or second pull and worked like a charm. Then, the front right wheel began to wobble within a year and was in the process of falling apart. This past December, I was mowing my lawn and it completely crapped out. I've replaced the spark plug, changed the gas, removed/cleaned the carb, and replaced the carb bowl/air filter to no avail - darn thing won't start up. This is my second bad experience with a Craftsman lawn mower. You'll save money at first, but end up paying for a replacement rather quickly.

Do yourself a favor, go for anything other than a Craftsman lawn mower. I'm looking into buying a Honda from HD in March. You'll save yourself headaches and won't be left with a useless and fairly new lawn mower.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Since I posted this, the quantities "dropped" and the price increased by $40. So now it's pver $200..no longer POS? :p

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

As the term POS is subjective your definition is different than mine. I prefer a mower that has enough power to mow and starts easily so I don't break the pull start. You like your POS get another POS.

It has a Honda GCV160. Not only will it run circles around the 140cc Briggs RV6 linked, it will start easier and last WAY longer. Disregard HP ratings on these, they are useless.

Huge point. Modern gas is garbage and can start doing damage in a few weeks. Ethanol is polar just like water but unlike real gas so it can either evaporate easier and varish your carb or attract water and corrode everything.

Stragglers are grass or thin weeds?

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Grass, weeds are long gone by the end of April. And I'm hoping to not see any at all this spring.

8. Bandwagoner

Mulching I guess? The problem on highest setting on these small mowers is vacuum, which is why you see bigger mowers with 6 inch deep decks. Keeping the twin blade sharp is vital. You could discharge or bag but I bet if you keep the blade sharper the problem is solved. If not you could also change to a single high lift gator type blade. Less load on the engine.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lol, showing your ignorance again -- modern American petroleum refining has created the greatest gas the earth has ever had the pleasure of using.

10. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

About five years ago I took Consumer Reports advice on a Lawn Boy. I think it was about $200-250. Never disappointed.

11. Bandwagoner

2 stroke engine? Those things were awesome.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

No Worries likes this.
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If anybody is looking for a zero turn, I highly recommend a john deere.

I was always one to say John Deere was nothing but a name and you could get equally good equipment at a lower price point. I was wrong. I did tons of research on warranty, build and overall customer satisfaction for residential mowers. I finally settled on an Arien ikon52 from lowes because of the better warranty and the material it was built from- better quality and said to be in between residential and commercial grade. I added the additional warranty that lowes offers and it was delivered.

I get it assembled, gassed up and start cutting. At first, I thought this was an amazing machine, I really made the right purchase and couldnt be happier. Fast forward a few months later and a deal arises, that I couldnt pass up. It was a John Deere with a 54" deck with low hours on it. So I bought it, with the intention to flip it. I get it home and decide to cut my yard with it since I was gonna sell it anyway, why mess up my Ariens. Low and behold, it was the superior machine, by far...... The cut was better, the hydraulic control levers are better , the same horsepower equivalent motor was better. I hated to say it cause I really thought they were just a brand name with annoying merch people wear, but their machines are really good.

If youre in search of a zero turn, you can go to a authorized dealer and they will let you test their machines. You my have nothing else to compare it to but you will, if you go with another mower.

14. Buck Turgidson

I've never had any complaints about any of their stuff, though the only consumer product of theirs I have is a regular riding mower.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

My honda has worked well for almost 5 years and i use it twice a month.

if you're doing weed eating get an echo.

16. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I would go battery power. I've got a Makita cordless weed eater, chain saw, hedge trimmer and some power tools. They all use the same batteries. So once you get a few batteries and a charger they seem to be about the same price as decent gas power equipment. You don't have to mess with gas and oil, a pull starter, they are way quieter and over all seem more reliable. I wouldn't go back to gas powered or corded power tools. I don't have any experience with cordless mowers though since I'm on 3 acres and have a riding mower.

Edit: Didn't notice this was a necro bump.

justtxyank likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm all about the battery powered mower. Quiet, easy to push, doesn't smell, better for the environment...what's not to like?

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I do like my EGO battery mower but I'm considering an upgrade to a powered reel mower soon. I wish they made battery powered reel mowers.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thinking about replacing my Honda-powered Craftsman with a Ego self-propelled mower. I have a small front yard, a bit larger back yard, some slope. I understand the Ego has the longest lasting battery and quickest recharge Hoping for lighter and quieter and not buying gas. How do you like yours?

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I have the 21" self-propelled and I can mow my yard (roughly 4k sq ft of grass) with battery to spare. Probably takes about 30-40 minutes of mower use. Recharge takes about 30 minutes but I don't run out of charge while I'm mowing. It'll handle your typical house slopes unless it's a steep grade.

It's been a good mower. Very reliable, folds up and stands vertically so it takes minimal space. Starts with the push of a button. Self-propelled works well and has an adjustable walking pace. Very quiet with a decent cut. Light weight. Mulching isn't the best but it's good enough. I'm on my third year with it.

If you have St. Augustine, which most people in Houston will have, it's a good mower. Height of cut between 1.5"-4", so leave it high for St. Augustine. But I have bermuda in central Texas which is better at 1" or less. I'd recommend it for your average home owner. But I enjoy doing yard work and want a nice cut golf fairway carpet, so I'm looking into a higher end reel mower.

NewRoxFan likes this.