1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN All-time NBA Rank- Centers (Hakeem at #5)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 523744, Jan 19, 2016.

1. photojoe

photojoe Member

Kareem's skyhook was obviously pretty dominant- I mean the guy scored more points than anyone else ever and there was probably a pretty large majority of that from the skyhook.

However, NBA people say all the time that it was unstoppable. That's not entirely true
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EwHP04TWOps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

While I will always fight for Hakeem over Shaq based on Shaq's own words about Dream (and Dream's massive defensive advantage without giving up a ton on offense), I actually don't disagree with their list other than that. Despite their track records as winners and leaders, I always leaned Wilt over Russell based on sheer dominance, and I always think Kareem is given way too little credit for putting up points-rebounds-blocks-efficiency stats (which is the core of what, statistically, you want from your greatest center ever) that were greater than Hakeem and Shaq on a per-game basis* even as he played an extra 30% longer.

It's always difficult to properly slot players from the 60s, but I think that there's enough room between Kareem and anyone from the 90s that slotting them between Kareem and Hakeem would be reasonable.

*except blocks, vs. Hakeem

3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

It's 99% true that the Skyhook was unstoppable. The Dreamshake was also 99% unblockable because of Hakeem's height, the height on his jumpshot, the lean back, the fade away, and the high point of release. I can't recall of a specific instance in which Hakeem's Dreamshake was blocked and a cursory Youtube search doesn't turn up anything. Still, it's likely and plausible that on at least one or two occasions (and probably more given the frequency of the Dreamshake), Hakeem had his shot blocked. But the Skyhook is still the original "unstoppable" shot - even if one of the greatest centers of all time was able to block it a couple of times.

Hakeem is going to go down as one of the all time best and possibly most unique players to ever play the game. I think coming in second to Kareem isn't an insult to his prestigious career.

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

Absolutely true. One youtube video of Wilt blocking Kareem's skyhook doesn't do anything to diminish the dominance of Kareem's shot. You can find a 30 second youtube clip of just about anything, and that doesn't really prove anything over the course of their careers.

Also, I was in no way trying to say that I would put Hakeem over Kareem. Actually, for my money's worth, I would go with:

1) Wilt
    2) Kareem
    3) Hakeem

But I couldn't find much fault with anyone who re-arranged those 3 in any order. I can understand arguments for all of them. It's kind of funny, for how overall weak the Center position is today, it was historically such a stacked position. Ranking the top Centers of all time is much more difficult than any of the other positions.

5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think you could sort any of the top 5 in any order and make an argument for it. They're all so damn good.

1 person likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Same

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

To me its about eras. Dream is my favorite athlete of all time. He is the most complete center to ever play. Kareem, Wilt,and Shaq were the most domimant. Russell is russel and the guy people tend to forget is the recently departed moses. To think that of all the centers since hoops started and to be thought of 5th, thats pretty damn good.

8. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

The List is justifiable. Picking body of work over career prime is a legit way to put this list together.
    Yes, I would say that the Skyhook with the body of Kareem was more unguardable than the Dreamshake but its close for sure. The dreamshake as a move or a platform of moves is based on deception and speed. As Hakeem slowed down in age and speed, I think it might not have been as devastating as when he was younger. Interesting fact was that Kareem did give respect to Olajuwon about trying to stop the Skyhook, forgot the exact wording but he did mention that Hakeem along with maybe Wilt were most effective at stopping him. Olajuwon really tried to time is jump to block that shot.
    The skyhook like Kareem seemed to not age in its effectiveness. The dreamshake I feel if a player is of a shorter stature was probably a more suitable candidate.

Still would pick prime Hakeem as centre though, its just my personal preference.

9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

When did Shaq ever win a ring without another player like Kobe or Dwayne Wade in his prime? Hakeem won being the only marquee player on the team in 94 and then won with drexler who was leaving his prime but still effective. No way shaq leads that same squad to a championship.

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I have to go with Kareem as the GOAT including Jordan. Dude won just as many championships over a longer period of time being effective. Just as the Dream fade away to the baseline was unstoppable, Kareem's sky hook was totally unstoppable! If you look at their play at similar ages you will see how Kareem dominated.

Dream is #1 in my heart and #2 on all time list.

11. RoxD

RoxD Member

" ......based on both peak performance and career value."

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If at any point only a single NBA player can stop an expected go to move, to me, that is the definition of unstoppable. To me, Skyhook was far more effective than the Dream Shake as it is a single move that the defender has to not only be tall enough but jump high enough to even dream of contesting. Dream Shake is more impressive to me technically however as it is a series of moves and counter moves predicated on the reactions of the opponent. With the Skyhook, Kareem just did it and he could do it from basically anywhere within the 3pt line with good consistency.

13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think they are only considering NBA careers for logistical reasons. If Sabonis had been here in his prime, he may have been a top 10 center of all time, from what people were writing about him. But there's not much footage or statistics to go off of. The guy was a beast his first few years in Portland, and if that was him on the decline, he must have been a monster in Europe.

14. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

I honestly don't think any other human being could block that except Wilt. And the second one was close to goaltending.

It's not just height, but someone needs to have the athleticism and timing of Wilt too.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QlurRMPlfxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Hakeem lead his team to beat 3 other centers on that list (arguably 4 if you include 1986), and 4 PF on the PF list. Amazing. I don't think anyone on the C list comes close.

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If i had to draft a franchise center, it would denitely be Kareem...

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

...Yao ranked 89th of all players of all time...