1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Young = the natural?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SamFisher, Aug 31, 2003.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

At least we can agree on something.

I saw the game, and even though Mock was off target, I was impressed with his arm strength. And he was mobile, he just wasn't Young when it comes to running.

Give it a couple of more games before starting to call for his head. I'm sure he was nervous.

2. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

I hate to be a pessimist, but we played new mexico state, not exactly your college football jugernaut.

Lets hope VY can do something like that against OU and KSU.

3. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

He was being sarcastic.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Against OU it is better to get happy feet and try to run than sit there like a dead duck or out think their defense. Remember neither Simms nor Applewhite has done jack against the Sooners in 3 years (add Chris Weike and Kingsbury too), where as the A&M fresh, the KSU mobile guy, and a few athletes 1st QBs 2nd have given them trouble. A super mobile QB is the one thing that breaks down even the best schemes/personelle.

Who knows about KSU right now, but OU's defense is likely way too good to play conventional low risk offense and have success. If Moch can't move the ball for at most 1.5 quaters, unless our D is doing the same to OU I say you have to give VY a chance. Mack's big game stubbornness and nut shrinkage has to stop--playing not to lose will only give you a loss.

6. Major

Major Member

Against OU it is better to get happy feet and try to run than sit there like a dead duck or out think their defense. Remember neither Simms nor Applewhite has done jack against the Sooners in 3 years (add Chris Weike and Kingsbury too), where as the A&M fresh, the KSU mobile guy, and a few athletes 1st QBs 2nd have given them trouble. A super mobile QB is the one thing that breaks down even the best schemes/personelle.

OU was surprised by McNeal because they didn't scheme for him (he wasn't the starter). For an example of what happens when they scheme for a mobile QB, look what they did to Seneca Wallace, whom no one had stopped up to that day last year.

The team that did the best offensively against them last year was OSU, and they did it with an immobile QB -- by playing smart, aggressive (which we REALLY need to learn to do), and not making mistakes. I think if you catch them by surprise with a mobile QB, you might be to able to get at them -- but if they know its coming, I have no doubt they can shut it down. A guy like Roberson has the advantage of knowing the offense AND being able to improvise. The problem with VY is that if they do shut the improv down, we might be screwed. With Mock, at least you can try a variety of schemes and setups since he supposedly knows the full offense. He's also supposedly a good runner, although obviously not like VY.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What about Missouri. Smith rushed for over 200 yds against OU and threw for almost 200 more. I think the Iowa State game was more about them playing at home.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Vince is the man...Yeah, I know it was NMSU...but he was freakin' awesome...

Go Horns!!!

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Okay, new debate. I don't feel like starting a thread.

Cedric Benson or Selvin Young.

I heard today during the Marc Vandermeer show, David Dalati said that Selvin Young was the better Running Back. What do you guys think of that?

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I still believe Ced is the better every down back. I think we should give it one more game, however, there is no reason not to give Selvin Young significant minutes.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Two different styles. Unlike the QB situation, I think Mack should rotate players with his RB's. Benson is a north/south guy and Selvin has that break away speed. I say use Selvin for some screen passes and sweeps so he can get around the corner. Use Benson to establish the run.

BTW, I don't blame Benson for his sub par game on Sunday. I blame Greg Davis for being too conservative in the first quarter. Benson will still have a great year.

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

I've been saying since last year that Selvin Young was a better running back than Benson. The biggest difference between the two is speed. When Benson breaks away, he can be caught. When Selvin Young breaks away, automatic 6. You cant catch him in the open field.

13. mduke

mduke Member

You're right, OU sucked on the road last year.

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Someone figured out ISU at the end. UConn beat them.