1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Leftovers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jun 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This season has been amazing sans the flashback episodes, but I definitely understand the need for them.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

But that would be a really dumb thing to do. If you think Kevin is responsible for their disappearance, you'd want him alive so he can help you find them.

3. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I'm thinking Nora isn't the Lens. The Lens is the baby Lilly. The scientific research guy got a reading from Nora because she was holding Lilly. Lilly is the child of that prophet guy (the black guy that could take your pain away from hugging). Before he dies he gives the power to Tom (Kevin's son). Tom has the power now, and Liv Tyler rapes him in the van because she wants to have one of those Lens babies. Maybe the spawn is the Antichrist or something.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Margaret Qualley is fine

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My best guess:

The old guy believes that Kevin is somehow demon possessed since he has been seeing the Guilty Remnant leader and talking to her. He feels it is his duty to kill Kevin to rid the world (and Miracle) of that demon. Since his grandson clearly went along with it (with plenty of coercion) that's the only thing that makes sense to me. The kid is religious and has a good heart, it seems. But if he was convinced by his grandfather that there was a spiritual battle that needs to be fought, I could see him going along with it. Though I'm not sure why it would be necessary to off himself after, unless he was still seeing his own "demon" and just hadn't admitted it.

Enjoying this season much, much more than season 1. Patty is just the right mix of terrifying, funny and annoying. The actress effortlessly shifts from menacing to gloating to questioning at all the right times to make it totally believable that Kevin would believe it was all real somehow. Very, very well done.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But in this past episode Tom's mom admits that Tom never had the power. They just acted like he did to try and keep the former Guilty Remnant folk from going back there.

Actually, a good portion of this episode made me think that pretty much EVERYTHING we see that is unexplained in this show (minus the actual departures themselves) can be explained by the characters either being clinically crazy or becoming crazy from stress and traumatic events. I don't think Patty even exists. I think Kevin's ex-wife totally hit the nail on the head in that hotel room, which was also kind of an on-the-nose message from Lindelof to the fans that this show is not about the mysteries. Never was, really, but was more about how people deal with situations.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I think that's probably a pretty solid assumption.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

+13545094385902348

9. val_modus

val_modus Member

Sooooo
    do yall think Garvey is done for good??

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don't think we should have to spoiler stuff that is currently happening in the show.

But I was going to ask the same thing. I'd bet he isn't because I really can't see the show existing that well without him, but HBO will kill anyone.

11. val_modus

val_modus Member

I'm a veteran of the game of thrones threads, so I did just in case as to not erect another witch hunt.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I gave up on this show after 4 episodes...so apparently something actually started happening? what's the general idea/vibe of what happened? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the time.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yea kind of gave up on it after the 3 episodes; would like someone to catch me up please

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I would say read the first season summary on wikipedia and then watch the Second season.

Two theories I have read.

1. Kevin will be buried and resurrected after three days, like the bird in the box.

2. The old man killed himself to join Kevin and guide him through whatever.

15. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

This is the best part of the story. That something crazy happened (the disappearance), and there is a supernatural feel based on the world of the story, but it seems that only one thing is supernatural while everything else is explained in the natural.

Either this whole world is now weird, or it is the ultimate coping mechanism/opportunity for weird people to be weird.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

What a crazy episode haha. But I think I enjoyed it..

19. likestohypeguy

Wow.

There are still more episodes this season right?p

20. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

so many references were made