1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car recommendations and whether to buy or lease

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, Nov 15, 2015.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I guess that makes sense, if you have money to spend, me I like to save what I can, I just need something to move me around that does not look like crap.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's why the CLA exists.

3. Mr. Clutch

Other than tech, have cars improved that much?

Performance, handling or interior wise its not like today's cars are much better than ten years ago.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm sure someone could argue they have, me, I don't care much. But you'd think the new Z06 C7 is a better driver than the 1st edition of the Z06 C6, right? Aesthetically, there's a big difference when it comes to luxury lines, which is what sells luxury.

2010 vs 2015 S-Class.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

I'm not sure how to respond when you're paying $700 for a brake job and $60 for wiper replacement...

Had my BMW for 60k miles, 80k on the odo, only repair is a bad rubber grommet for $~20 and some headlight lamps *shrugs*

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Gotta learn how to work on cars! Haha, a lot of these repairs are easy ****, even on a BMW, obviously you have to have tools, but the way I see it is still saving money buying your own equipment and... I don't like a lot of mechanics (I know this option isn't for everyone, but I am pretty much my own shop now). Also if just starting out tons of free resources by real mechanics, just have to have common sense on what you can and can't do.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Does the BMW have special wiper blades or something? Just buy the Rain X kind and do it yourself for like $25. I hear even the cheap ones do pretty good too.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Where do you live so you give my ferrari a tune up.

11. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Unless you were driving 24k miles a year, your statement would only pertain to yourself and other high mileage drivers. Also looks like you purchased the vehicle that's at least 5 years old, hence the expired warranty although the mileage was low.

Your regular upkeep is very skewed and not typical for the majority of owners. Oil changes are good for up to 12k miles/year. For you to go through four oil changes once every 6 months means you drove a lot or you used conventional vs synthetic oil, which you're not recommended to do.

Oil changes are easy to diy and would cost less than $50 for synthetic oil each time.

No idea why you needed to replace your brake pads twice. They are usually good for at least 30-40k miles. Judging by how often you changed your oil, you wouldn't need more than one brake pad change, unless your indy mechanic did a poor job or used inferior pads. Brake pad job are basically the same across any vehicle and you could've diy for about $100, $150 at the most.

Windshield wipers, you could've purchased them online cheaper if you wanted to stay authentic oem or purchase some at walmart/amazon for about $20-$30.

Runflat tires seem reasonable at $800. They do usually run at least $200 a piece. If you wanted to save money, you could've went with non-runflats for about $50-$70 less per tire.

Why would you spend $400 for a battery replacement? These are very simple to replace and there's no way the batter could cost more than $150.

If you had basic car maintenance knowledge, your repairs would've been 1230/2 = $615 a year.

I agree that if you purchase a German vehicle outside of warranty, it's better to spend a little more for a CPO. Another thing, I don't trust TDA and would never purchase a vehicle from them. Honestly, I think your indy mechanic fleeced you.

#131 chow_yun_fat, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My friend that worked for a repair shop would tell about these dudes that drove expensive cars and wanted that $14.95 oil change special.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

How do you think they got that expensive car?

14. Mr. Clutch

By saving $10 on an oil change every 3 months.

That's $40 a year.

Adds up quick.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

They must also have stayed at Holiday Inn at some point.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have no data for this, but I've been told that many of them are leased and dumped before 3-4 years. The sucker is usually the 2nd person that buys them. Porsches have been pretty reliable cars. It's the only German make I'd buy with no reservation. BMW's, Mercedes, Audis, I'd be more hesitant.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Actually, I don't know about that. You have Camaros and Mustangs running low 4's now. Mustangs used to be a joke when it came to handling, but now they're fast in a straight line and can handle twisties. You now have family sedans running sub-6.0 0-60 times or very close. Now, if you're going to ask if 90% of the people who buy them ever exercise them like they're built, that's another question. I mean, seriously, you have SUV's that are built to perform like sports cars were 10 years ago.

#137 Dr of Dunk, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate it when the person in the Bmw or Benz are driving like soccer moms...then when I pass them, I realize they are soccer moms.

19. Mr. Clutch

Yeah but cars like that have been around several years now. Thats kinda my point, I mean how much more performance are you going to get when you dont even need how much they have now?

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I honestly don't know, but it basically boils down to what this thread is about, I guess. It's the image buyer vs. the value/rational buyer. Everybody has their reasons I guess. For those that drive Porsche Cayenne Turbos as a grocery-getter, it's probably just image. It's a Porsche SUV and it's a high end one. There's prestige in that. Oh, it can go that fast? Well, ok, but whatever... it's a high-end Porsche, and that's what matters.

But then I don't know when they should've stopped making cars even higher performance. Probably like I was arguing before - nobody wants a Porsche that can't outrun a Honda. So Porsche always has to be among the elite in speed because that's what Porsche is known for. Then it becomes a game of follow the leader... Porsche gets faster, so now BMW has to get faster, then Cadillac tries to keep pace, etc. Pretty soon you have 4-door family sedans that do sub-6.0 0-60 times. I've always wondered at what point will there be no more return? I mean you're not going 0-60 in near-0 seconds. Well, unless teleportation or time travel is involved or something. :grin: