1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

usa olympic team

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by hitman1900, Aug 20, 2003.

1. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

man what is with the basketball olympic teams they keep sending out there to represent the usa? even though it's not fair to compare eras but, crap man, there hasn't been a team close to anything of the caliber of the original dream team except maybe in '96. these new teams are a joke. for one thing, what's with the need to put role players on the team? back in '92 and in '96, the teams were overloaded with star power (except in '92 when hakeem wasn't a citizen yet). we need the best representing.

seriously, i really want to know how the hell mike "liability" bibby got on the team over stevie, stephon, and even 35 year old gary payton? heck, i would rather have john stockton in there over freakin' mike bibby. and there was talk about kenyon martin joining up...please.....we need the top tier players on this team not role players like bibby and martin taking up space. it's hard to watch the usa team struggling against opposing countries even though they are very much improved.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

One Basketball.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

r****d....

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

it sucks that Karl Malone has to sit out. I so wanted to see Nick Collison sub in for him.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i wish you wouldnt say r****d. you might get kicked in the head one day and be like that yourself

6. A-Train

I apologize..."dumbass" or "moron" would have been more appropriate..."r****d" would probably be a compliment...

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

... and we all know A-Train does nothing but post quality, basketball-related material. :)

8. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

man, this USA team is a basketball team, not an all-star showtime whatever. Mike Biddy sucks, he's no comparison with J Kidd. You see it clearly from the exhibition game. But the good thing is he knows that and he played his role.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I just hope we don't choke...

10. Variant

Variant Member

Bibby has been putting up solid numbers, and was the team leader in both assists and steals the other night. Last game he was 4 for 4 from downtown.

Coaches on the team have been quoted raving about his shooting and his ability to spell Kidd with quality minutes...

Quit hating, he doesn't suck and is playing well for his country.

11. A-Train

Wasn't Argentina the first team to beat the United States last year?? Time for some good old fashioned American style revenge...

12. YoYao

YoYao Member

US barely win aginst Argentina. man, this is the dream team with Duncan, Iverson, Kidd, Carter....US is getting weak

13. Matador

Matador Member

I don't thinks its the US getting weak but rather the rest of the world getting stonger.

14. heypartner

McGrady not being able to suit doesn't help, especially on perimeter defense. But if you look at the boxscore, that is an impressive stat line for the team. What seemed to keep Argentina in the game was 11-21 on 3s.

But we dominated the glass and, glory be, the assist column. 53% shooting and 28 assists, while dominated the boards is a formula for success *and improvement.*

Everyone wants a blowout, and still expects blowouts, certainly anytime you have Kidd and Duncan on the same team. But at least this team looks like they are determined to play like a team and stay fockass'd. We are on the right track now that everyone knows that the team has to develop a team identity, and that can only be done by remaining a core of individuals from Prelims (now) to Olympics, later. Wouldn't hurt to stick to the same freaking coach every tourny, too.

btw: how about this quote from Jermaine O'Neal

<b>Can you hold your head up now, after last year's loss in Indianapolis?</b>
    <i>"No. Not until we get a gold medal."</i>

15. A-Train

Yeah, I love how Matt Jackson put in on 610 yesterday. "The US Team will have to settle for Ray Allen, Allen Iverson, and Vince Carter at shooting guard...what ever will they do?"

16. heypartner

McGrady isn't there to play shooting guard, so I guess Matt Jackson meant to say having to rely on Richard Jefferson to back up Vince at the 3.

Big difference.
    One guy can't play Defense, and the other can't shoot, both of which McGrady does at superstar levels.

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

what the hell does Matt Jackson know besides biaytching about the rockets post game

18. A-Train

I guess you had to have been listening...He said that during the Sportscenter update in a joking manner...I guess I have low standards for my humor. :)