1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mars closest to Earth in 60000 yrs on 8/27/03

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MR. MEOWGI, Aug 26, 2003.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Mars sparkles as a reddish-orange point of light over Poodle Rock at Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada.

Mars Makes History: Closest to Earth Aug. 27
    By Robert Roy Britt
    Senior Science Writer
    posted: 06:24 am ET
    26 August 2003

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mars_history_030826.html

As if executing a cosmic air kiss, Earth and Mars will come as close as they desire in the wee hours of Wednesday during an historical event that has captivated the attention of skywatchers around the globe.

The two planets will be separated by 34,646,418 million miles (55,758,006 million kilometers) at 5:51 a.m. ET (1051 GMT) on Aug. 27.

Not since the Neanderthals shared this planet with early humans have the two worlds been so close.

The span of space is small only in the cosmic sense, however. Despite rumors, there will be no chance of collision and no unusual or dangerous gravitational effects. It is just a wonderful opportunity for anyone to enjoy a slice of astronomical history and to see Mars as bright as it can be.

Public interest in the event has soared recently as media around the world cover the story, which was first reported by SPACE.com last November.

"It's taken on almost a mystical importance with people," said Ray Villard, news director at the Space Telescope Science Institute, which operates the Hubble Space Telescope.

Hubble, which orbits Earth, will take advantage of the proximity by snapping two pictures of Mars for release Wednesday. The first will be available on SPACE.com shortly after 6 a.m. ET (1100 GMT) that day.

Mars rises in the southeast around sunset, your local time, shimmering like an orange star so bright it could momentarily be mistaken for an airliner on final approach. It outshines all other stars in the sky. Around 1 a.m. Mars is due south and high in the sky. It sets in the southwest at about sunrise.

How to watch

No equipment is necessary to observe Mars closer than has any human in the past 59,619 years. But the best views are afforded through telescopes, which can reveal surface markings, the south polar ice cap and clouds. For this purpose, astronomers recommend at least a 70mm lens for so-called refractor telescopes, or 4.25 inches for the reflector type.

However, telescopes are in short supply at many stores, as a sort of Mars mania has folks scurrying to buy optical aids.

People in many communities will flock to local observatories and amateur astronomy outings for a chance to peek through really big telescopes. Web searches can yield contact information for local astronomy clubs, and the Planetary Society has created an extensive list of related events.

A complete Mars Viewer's Guide is available from SPACE.com.

Everyone has potential ringside seats to this celestial wonder. Mars is visible to anyone on Earth with clear skies. And the exact instant of the closest approach is relatively unimportant, other than marking a curious mathematical moment.

In fact, many people will not see Mars at 5:51 a.m. ET (1051 GMT) on Wednesday. It will have sunk nearly to the southwestern horizon for residents of eastern North America, and it will be broad daylight then in Europe and other parts of the world. Weather could ruin the view for some hopeful observers.

Mars, though, is essentially the same brightness any night or early morning now through Sept. 2, and it will remain a delightful skywatcher's target into October.

What's going on

The unusually close approach -- less than 1 percent closer than a similar event in 1971 -- is created by a confluence of orbital oddities.

Earth and Mars are like cars on a racetrack, with Earth on the inside. Every 26 months or so, Mars is at opposition -- directly opposite the Sun in relation to Earth, just as Earth "laps" Mars in the never-ending race. Mars reaches opposition this week, causing it to rise around sunset and set at sunrise.

As with any opposition of Mars, this one offers a shorter path for spacecraft, and four of them are bound for the red planet right now. NASA has two probes en route, slated to land and deploy rovers in January. Another lander was shot to Mars by the European Space Agency, and the Japanese have a Mars orbiter on the way.

For skywatchers, this opposition is particularly special.

The orbits of both planets are not quite circles. So every 15 years, a Mars opposition comes when the red planet is about as near to the Sun as its orbit ever carries it (a point called perihelion) and Earth is near its outermost point (called aphelion).

Further, the two orbits actually rotate in space, bringing Earth's aphelion and Mars' perihelion to even greater proximity at certain times -- like this week.

Imagine each orbit being shaped a bit like the outline of a football (the oblong, American variety). A smaller football is rotating freely inside a larger one. Every now and then -- as measured in cosmic time -- the pointy end of the inner football is lined up with the laces of the outer football.

With all these factors involved, the timing of the closest approach rarely if ever coincides with the moment of opposition, but they're usually within a few days of each other. Mars achieves opposition the day after this year's close approach.

There is yet another factor at work.

"Mars has been slowly getting closer to the Sun at the perihelion point of its orbit (that part of the orbit closest to the Sun)," explains Joe Rao, SPACE.com's Night Sky columnist.

Rao, who has been scrutinizing this year's close approach since last year, says this change in Mars' orbit has probably contributed to a bunching of similar events over the past few centuries.

In fact, an even closer pass is on the horizon, at least for a future generation of skywatchers. In 2287, Mars will be slightly nearer to Earth than it is this week.

2. YoYao

YoYao Member

YES! It is sooo CLOse that you can see............
    [​IMG]

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I live in northeast Arkansas. Where should I look the next two nights to see Mars (which direction)?

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

On Aug. 27 at 5:51 a.m. ET (1051 GMT) Mars will be less than 34.65 million miles (55.76 million kilometers) away -- closer than it’s been in 59,619 years.

Finding the Red Planet

The Roman God of War is easy to spot. It is the unmistakable beacon of the evening sky, in the southeast. It is high in the south around midnight and low in the southwest near dawn.

Mars outshines all stars now.

It rises near sunset for skywatchers at mid-northern latitudes. If your horizon is obstructed, it might be a bit later later before you can find it.

What You'll See

The planet usually appears orange or slightly red, though sometimes -- depending conditions in Earth's atmosphere -- it can look yellowish.

Mars began August shining at magnitude -2.3. On this astronomers’ scale, larger numbers mean dimmer objects. Negative numbers are reserved for the brightest objects.

Except for Venus (which can be magnitude -4.0 and brighter) no other planet or star can be brighter than Mars is now. Now through Sept. 2, Mars glimmers at magnitude -2.9 -- as bright as it can be.

Telescopes and photography

To the naked eye, Mars is a point of light, like a bright star. To see surface features, you'll need a telescope with a lens at least 70mm in diameter for the refractor type, or 4.25 inches for a reflector.

Middle-of-the-night observations are best, because Mars is at its highest in our sky, and so its light cuts through less atmosphere and arrives less distorted. Digital cameras can be used to make photographs, even by hand-holding them to a telescope eyepiece.

5. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

Mars, you best step back, biotch! you're crowdin' us.

6. underoverup

underoverup Member

I think i'll go smoke a doobie and check it out--- :) ;)

7. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Darn.

I went to the observatory at the University; there were literally 3 full floors (including stairs and elevators) of lines.

Half were trying to get into the lecture rooms where the professors do, what else, lectures regarding Mars, while there is a projection of it on a huge screen.

Most were in line to get up on the roof to the actual huge telescope to see it.

I decided against waiting; I'm not one for hanging out with Star Trek convention folk, no offense of course to those in here.;) Maybe I'll go back before it closes at 2.

Oh, and I thought you were on probation YY.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Time to break out the Belkin telescope and see if I can get a decent pic with my camera.

If I do, Ill post it..

Hope it comes out alright.

9. Mr. Mooch

R2K, check out the photoshop thread. :D:D:D:D

codell found me a new person.:D

nm, it doesn't exist anymore, lol.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

the photoshop thread is gone...they deleted it.:(:(

it had some of my best work in it...

Why?

11. Mr. Mooch

Well I'll just bump another YY thread.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Hang on...I just asked the admins if we could start a new one or not...if so...we'll do it there.
    If not...I dont know what we'll do.

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Mars is getting a little to close for comfort. We better go bomb those Martian bastards...

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Anybody else feel like we are in bondage to the sun. I say we make a break for it.

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

A week ago, I was at a friends house. The friend has a very powerful telescope. We had a few drinks and set up the telescope on his driveway and focused in on Mars. You could see the polar ice cap plus some other intricacies.

He then said "OK let's put this in perspective". He repositioned the telescope with the same lens, focus, settings etc., on the Moon.

We had a very detailed look...at a crater. Amazing stuff.

16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Only if they have oil...

17. PhiSlammaJamma

What kind of Candy Bars do you think they eat on that planet?

18. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

i think its about time we blew up the moon. we have the technology, whats stopping us? :p

19. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Man, I had my telescope all set up for the Mars show last night.

And it was cloudy. Freaking crap!

20. underoverup

underoverup Member

MARS ATTACKS!!!!!!!! :eek: :p