1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

YAO OR NEVER (DEFECTION???)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jshabang, Aug 26, 2003.

1. jshabang

jshabang Member

We all agree yao is special................no need for me to reitirate that to you

He was a steal last year and will be a cornerstone for this franchise for years to come...we are solucky to have him.....he will be the most dominate center for years to come..............................................or will he????????

I don't know about you guys...but on a very serious note......all bullsh** to the side............I am lookin over this board.......and for the past month or so I am truly disturbed about the YAO threads that have arisen!!!!!!!:eek: Seriously guys!!!!!!!!

We all have opinions about what we think of our current lineup and whether we need to trade or not trade....I can deal with that....no problem...I personally am pro trade but who really cares in the long run anyway.....if we don't make another move I'll still watch every Rocks game next season and root like hell for the 8th seed or whatever...............BUT

YAO is a franchise player......as well a lovable citizen....but all these threads about his weight problems, chinese methods of trainin, workin him to death, hypertension, blood pressure, broken eye sockets, stitches, need I continue...........

Why on gods green earth would someone put there savior of there franchise thru such scrutiny.........the answer is because the Rocks have there hands tied......they have no choice, if it was up to them I know they would go get there franchise and snatch him back to texas in a new york minute...but they can't .....

So what's the solution you might ask.......we know all that jsha, tell us a solution, and stop scarin the hell out of us

I don't know chinese culture.....I don't know how we fit into this equation, hell I don't even know if I'm out of line or not...but I do know YAO can'not continue to come here play 82 battles of NBA ball, go back to china, do all the charity events from here to shanghai, practice with the national squad......and play all asian championship games they can get him in.....at this rate Yao won't last 3 seasons guys....seriously

So a point, you might ask.....let me get to that

We all agree this has been a nighmare off season for YAO......I am horrified to check this board everyday because, I am terrified thta I will see yet another YAO Thread that reads................never mind

At some point.....after much meditation and thought on YAO and his family's behalf, as well as the Chinese government, and the Rockets organization have to make a decision.......maybe a very hard one, maybe a life altering one...but one that must be made none the less

After an NBA season yao must rest...plain and simple....he plays probably the most dangerous position the game offers...he's a pivot man and pivot men do gladiator battles night in and night out..hell yao still has the marks to show from last season to prove it...not steve, Cat, OR Mooch

At some point he has to think about his career and whats best for him and his family..........Maybe defection, maybe not..I a can not sit here and say defectin is the way to go..I am a bbser not YAO MING

But I do know one thing...I don't have a problem with him going home to china...but they must give him some summers off........Asian championship or no asian championship.....they must let this man rest or if not maybe the Rocks might have to step in at some point and be a voice of reason...believe me if I'm squirmin every time I read YAO articles....LES must be havin heart attacks.....hell soon you may see a Les alexander article about his blood pressure the way the Chinese are workin His franchise center

Bottom line hard decisions may be on the horizon for YAO......

Because I'm terrified on what I'm gonna see about YAO next off season......luckily he made it thru this one, hopefully we won't have to hold our breath for to much longer

:( :(

2. tongoj

tongoj Member

I have to agree. Yao will have a very short NBA career if nothing is done. I say defection.

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

If there is a defection, it would probably happen during his third season, before his max contract starts.

4. ty185

ty185 Member

lol. this is another dead horse indeed. :D

have to go out in 5 minutes, so just scaned through your post. --apologies in advance if I missed anything I shouldn't have. :)

as far as I see this, the most realistic way rockets can change is situation is to aggressively sending assistant coach to china to be their ASSISTANT coaches (no, not head coaches unless china formerly asks for any, otherwise we are risking some bureaucrats' egos... :( ). and if possible, not only on the national basketball level, but also on the CBA club level.

china's basketball philosophy are in a changing process right now, and I can see it moving closer to the modern philosophy by next decade. the problem is, with yao, we don't have 10 years to wait. :mad: so hopefully, rockets and help on this process somewhat. respect and don't hurt some of the idiot's egos, while changing what they believe. :)

errr... sounds hard. but since some idiots are idiots, I'm hoping it won't be THAT hard... :D

one thing for sure though, instead of dreaming about defection or some insane things like that, rockets really need to act, and act now! we don't have time to wait for everything to correct itself. :)

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK kids, today we learn what "overreaction" is!

6. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

i have told this to someone also...he will then have to give our government most of his earnings....

7. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

give it up to him (Ty185)...every smiley used in a post...LOL

8. YoYao

YoYao Member

yea, trade Yao for Lafrenze
    thread lock in 3..........2..............1.........

9. jshabang

jshabang Member

Yes, all the threads about stiches, overweight, and overworkin is over reaction..........

How in the world is this over reaction.......they're killin the poor guy...no rest what so ever....YAO is not superman....he does need rest....he has high blood pressure for gods sake.........yea i would say its over reaction:p

10. Houstonrocketss

Thats what we will have every season is a Dead Horse who is tired and not playing up to his ability because of the non rest he gets.

I feel bad for Yao because everyone else speaks for him and he never gets any say.

Rockets fans always have to worry what if Yao has a career ending injury that does not happen in the Nba?
    Then what do we do.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If Yao burns out again this season, I will be very concerned.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What a crock of crap....yao is only 23, if he is tired, it is because he is out of shape.

He needs to cut back on media committments and concentrate on his health.

He just needs to pace himself...he is not playing any more games then Cat or Franchis are...they play summers too.

Plus, it is how Hakeem improved so much....summer ball.

DD

13. jshabang

jshabang Member

Good Question............don't think I want to know the answer:(

14. jshabang

jshabang Member

Summer ball here is alot different than summer ball there.....no one would be opposed to YAO gettin summer practice here because it is against top flight NBA players which would help him better his game.......his game is not improvin over there against 5'9" guys who can't even throw a entry pass.....plus it would be limited and monitored over here....over there we are all speculatin...I dont know what the heck is goin on over there...but I do know I don't like it......

15. rvpals

rvpals Member

jshabang has a point. Like him, I'm beginning to worry about YM's health. A 23 years old does not have high blood pressure, let alone an athelete.

However, I think YM is smart enough and he know just what to do.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think defection is a terrible idea. China is his home. That's where his friends and family are. That's where he feels fomfotable. I think living in the US, never seeing his parents again (Chinese government probably wouldn't let them come) would take a worse toll on him.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Ever think about the fact that every indication Yao has given since arriving in the U.S. is that he prefers China? Apparently, not everyone thinks that America is the greatest country in the world.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's not about being the best. Yao obviously prefers China. Any normal person would prefer being home.

19. jshabang

jshabang Member

My point exactly.........I said i don't mind him bein in china already....thats not my issue........my issue is they MUST LET HIM REST...NATIONAL TEAM OR NO NATIONAL TEAM......let him decide to have a summer off sometimes......like our players...its there personal choice if they want to play on a national team or not....they are not forced into anything.........its a honor I know.....but he will need rest in the summertime...thats for sure at some point.........This is not a YAO prefers America thread......

I'm not even sayin defection is good or not....I have no idea.....YAO has to make that decision sooner or later....not me.....I definately would hate to be in his shoes......but if they continue every summer to run our franchise player into the ground....at some point we pay him alot of money, and a decision one way or another will need to be made..........

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

So why is it that guys like Nowitzki, Stojakovic, etc. can play for their contries over the summer and have all-star calibre seasons during the NBA regular season, but Yao cannot?

Lighten up guys.