1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Party Problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MR. MEOWGI, Aug 26, 2003.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I have a slight problem. My 12 year younger brother is turning 21 in a few weeks. The other night he and his girlfriend asked me and my wife if we can host his birthday party over here at our house. I was kind of buzzed at the time and said "yeah", they were excited, but now my wife and I are having second thoughts. He wants to get a keg and invite around 20 of his friends, and I know not all of them will be of drinking age. Plus I have a feeling there might be some doobie smoking going on. We really want to be able to have this party for him but we are scared of the liability involved. He and his girlfriend are pretty smart, responsible kids (both doing very well at school, etc.), but I don't know all of their friends. One part of me is thinking "Everything will be fine, he deserves a fun time", but the other part is thinking "What if....". I'm really torn on this right now. So, should I be the cool brother, or the lame adult? Thanks.

2. underoverup

underoverup Member

What is a "doobie"?

3. MR. MEOWGI

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I would be the lame adult. Of course, I am a lame adult.

5. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Good lord you mean I have been arguing with someone who doesn't even know what a doobie is..... all those wasted posts....

I can tell you from experience MrM that if you have a job where a contributing might put you in bad shape do not have that party, or tell the minors not to show up. My older brother is a pilot with the Navy and he threw a birthday party for a friend who was actually 25 but about fifty people were there and two of the minors left the party drunk, drove off the road and luckily didn't kill anybody. The cops asked the 18 year olds where the came from and went to the party, arrested my brother and everyone else who had paid for alcohol there and my brother was demoted a rank. The whole thing wound up costing him around $10,000 when you consider the pay he lost because of the drop in rank, the lawyer to get it off his record, and the fine.

I used to take chances with minors at my party, now I just kick them out. Yes, I am that dude at the party all the youngins hate. That is unless I know them all and know they wouldn't rat me out if they got in trouble.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

[​IMG]

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

if he is going to pay for the keg, you might strike a balance and hire yourself a certified bartender. You might even be able to find one with liability. They exist: check this out (http://www.batnet.com/bartnder/intro.html).

Set up a folding table and place the keg behind it, and buy wrist bands. Isn't this what most college-sanctioned events do now. Just do the same.

as for the doob...just tell you brother no doob in the house or in the open.

hell, if you tell your brother you are going to do this he just might say "thanks, but no thanks" and look for another place. Then your problem is solved.

8. LeGrouper

That is a pretty damned good idea HP. You are a pretty rational dude ain't ya?

9. MR. MEOWGI

Yeah, but the party is supposed to be very private, only twenty people or so. He will know exactly who is coming before hand.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

This is a joke, right? :confused:

11. LeGrouper

It all depends on your job. I am in law enforcement and if I got a contributing it could mean my job, and would mean promotions. If you work in IT it would probably make you cool.

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Invite YoYao and Underoverup and your worries of sex or drugs will be diminished by 10%.

13. YoYao

YoYao Member

u mean increase 10%? :D

14. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I would sit him down and tell him what you told us and if he is responsible as you say he is, then maybe something can get worked out. If he doesnt understand and gets mad.....screw him...no party...its your house. Its no wonder he is hanging around all these potheads when his older brother is sitting around..buzzed.....and listening to the Doobie Brothers:D

15. MR. MEOWGI

Nah, I have already told him we were having second thoughts. He totally understood. He just wants to know if it is a yes or no so he can figure something out. I just want him to have a good time and a rememberable birthday party. But I will talk to him and find out exactly who would be coming etc.

I was buzzed from Guinness only. :)

16. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

think of the consequences of getting a ticket for contributing to the deliquency of a minor... (if y'all get busted, parties too loud, cops are called, etc...)

17. underoverup

underoverup Member

My sarcasm once again mystifies LeAggie. :p

18. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

19. LeGrouper

Oh, its "born on October 31st" mystery boy... You think that makes you scary little boy? I will tell you what mystifies me... why some young little punk b**** like yourself wants to piss me off. Keep it up Halloween boy.... keep it up....

20. LeGrouper

I like HP's bartender idea because not only will it take the heat off your back but it will make the party awesome. It will cost, but would be worth it if you can afford it for Bro's 21st.