1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Depth

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Oct 28, 2015.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

When McHale doesn't play a guy who is a lights out shooter when Brewer is clearly struggling, Terry is not affecting the game in a positive way and nobody can put it in, I don't know if depth helps as much as you think.

2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

1 game over reaction

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The last game was not indicative that we do not have enough depth, it was indicative that we do not have the right mindset.

When great depth and talent plays lazy and doesn't take their opponents seriously, they can lose.

4. bmd

bmd Member

Why do people always forget about Terry? I mean yeah, he's old, but he can still play.

He did a nice job in the playoffs this past year, and he played 29 minutes per game in those playoffs.

Also... you wouldn't trust D-Mo in the playoffs?

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I did not forget about Terry.

I just would not put him in as reliable rotational player. He played those heavy minutes in the playoffs out of necessity.

He is someone you can bring in for occasional spark off the bench and I am happy he is here. Just do not want the team to depend on him.

Also, no I would not trust DMo in the playoffs. Too physical for him and not mentally ready for it. WC playoffs are too competitive for experimentation.

#25 Zboy, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's not DMo or Dwight who will lead us to the Finals.

It is less turnovers.

7. returningfan

returningfan Member

Speaking of depth - how many players are on the roster?
    I count 14. Am I missing a player? (pardon spellings)

Ariza
    Beverley
    Brewer
    Capela
    Dekker
    Harden
    Harrell
    Howard
    Jones
    Lawson
    Motiejunas
    McDaniels
    Terry
    Thornton
    ------

8. roidrage

roidrage Member

Man u guys love to make exudes for this team they got blown out by a team with nobody

9. roidrage

roidrage Member

what people are going to do like they do every year with Houston teamS....is sAy don't worry..don't panic an injury prone Dwight and spineless no back dmo are coming back..dmo is most likely going to be done with this back thing mark my words

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Without Dwight and Dmo, we do have depth problems.

With them, we'll be that much better. Although we could definitely use a low-price veteran addition (if it can be done, given the hard cap and all that).

In fact, we already have great depth at the 1, 2, and 3. Naturally the new pieces will need some time to mesh with the overall.

But the "great depth" that we have at 1 - 3? Even the best weapon is more of a danger to the wielder who doesn't know how to use it than to the opponent. We could've tried Marcus Thornton last game, we could've left Harrell in (at least he had energy).

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

and? any team can get beaten in the regular season on any given night. its a long season and everything takes form as the season goes on.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

6th man of the year candidates:

Beverly or Lawson (whoever is not starting)
    Jones or DMo (whoever is not starting)
    Brewer (doubtful)
    Capela (if he gets the playing time against backups)
    Thornton (won't get enough minutes but should be contributor)

13. Ns575

Ns575 Member

No our depth sucks we have marcus thornton as our third string shooting guard oh lord where have we gone wrong fire morey blow it up everybody cry it's all going downhill

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Completely agree. Dwight and DMo command a ton of respect from defenses, and might be our best 2 big defenders.

One thing I noticed from watching a Denver vs Houston highlight video from last year......teams aren't going to help off Dwight to double DMo. That is a massive advantage to our favor.

We've either got DMo 1 on 1 in the post (which I will take against 90% of the league), or they double DMo with a wing and we have an open 3 point shooter, or they double DMo with a big and Dwight is open for the slam.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'll repeat. Good depth is supposed to soften the blow of injuries to key players.

So to say that "when we are healthy we have good depth" is not very meaningful. Having good depth means that the starters don't have to play break neck minutes. And when a key player is hurt, somebody can step up without a big drop off.

It's still early. We'll see how well the depth can hold off the injury impacts.

16. rocketseagles07

Our depth is fine. I'm worried about the starters. Thornton isn't quite Crawford, IT, etc. status but he can be the guy that gets hot and has 20 off the bench. I really wish we could've traded for IT

17. dmoneybangbang

DMo would be a great 6th man candidate.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

I really do not understand this comment. DMo is plenty physical. I trust him way more in the post than Capela.

Just my opinion, but this is our playoff rotation as of this moment:

Lawson / Beverley
    Harden
    Ariza / Brewer
    DMo
    Dwight / Capela

Thornton and Terry can also provide quality minutes as shooters.

The only gap left in this team is a backup forward that can shoot and defend. My favorite option is Marvin Williams.

Lawson / Beverley
    Harden / Thornton
    Ariza / Brewer
    DMo / Marvin
    Dwight / Capela

If that lineup can't beat the Warriors, then the Warriors are going to be a dynasty.

19. yeah

yeah Member

Exactly. Capela did great last year in the playoffs and DMo>Capela

20. alethios

alethios Member

We still need a veteran presence in the PF/C slot. Capela is improving but still not seasoned enough to assume starter duties, Harrell is a rookie and still raw and Jones, well, is Jones.