1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2015 NBA Draft/1-18] Sam Dekker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2015.

?

Do you like the pick?

1. YES

539 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

155 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I thought mchale would do this last year after Beverley got injured..... With harden playing the offensive pg and McDaniels defending the pgs

2. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

18th isn't that "low"- the blowmorey revisionism is already up-and-running. The 18th pick should be a solid player.

3. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

So how did he do? I missed the game.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Cmon man. If a round has 30 picks, 18 is a low pick by being in the back half of the round. Therefore, "low first rounder".

These are players that can span the entire range from bust, to serviceable, to fringe all-star.

Code:
    Year	Player	Drafted From	Drafted By
    2013	Shane Larkin	Miami	Atlanta
    2012	Terrence Jones	Kentucky	Houston
    2011	Chris Singleton	Florida State	Washington
    2010	Eric Bledsoe	Kentucky	Oklahoma
    2009	Tywon Lawson	North Carolina	Minnesota
    2008	JaVale McGee	Nevada	Washington
    2007	Marco Belinelli	Italy	Golden
    2006	Olexsiy Pecherov	Ukraine	Washington
    2005	Gerald Green	TX HSSr.	Boston
    2004	JR Smith	NJ HSSr.	New Orleans
    2003	David West	Xavier Sr.	New Orleans
    2002	Curtis Borchardt	Stanford Jr.	Orlando
    2000	Quentin Richardson	Depaul So.	LA Clippers
    1999	James Posey	Xavier Sr.	Denver
    1998	Mirsad Turckan	Turkey	Houston
    1997	Chris Anstey	Australia	Portland
    1996	John Wallace	Syracuse	New York
    1995	Theo Ratliff	Wyoming	Detroit
    1994	Eric Mobley	Pittsburgh	Milwaukee
    1993	Luther Wright	Seton Hall	Utah
    1992	Tracy Murray	UCLA	San Antonio

5. bmd

bmd Member

I think it's more fair to count every player 18th and beyond... not just the 18th pick.

Because say someone was taken 18th but the 25th pick ended up being a better NBA player. That 25th pick was still available at 18.

6. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

He looked pretty bad in my opinion. I'm not sure if he was just lost and overwhelmed and simply needs some good ol' fashioned RGV Viper time, or if he is rather not that good. Time will tell. I mean, think how bad Capela looked at first compared to how good he looks now.

Dekker doesn't look as bad as Capela did early last season, more along the lines of how Nick Johnson looked -- though, he doesn't seem to have the relative athleticism for his position that Johnson displayed even when he looked lost early last year.

Full disclosure, I thought the Dekker pick was not a great one, and I don't think Dekker is going to be very good. As always though, here's hoping I am wrong.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He looked really bad in every way. But, it was the first preseason game of his rookie year, so it means nothing.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd like to remind people that Capela looked like the worst rookie in NBA history until like the last month of the NBA seasn, seriously he was truly awful.

On the plus Dekker looked like a decent rebounder and hit a clutch garbage time 3.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

He looked lost mostly, but he also made some nifty defensive plays. He's got good length, goes after the rebound, and gets some deflections. I also like that he was aggressive on offense....he didn't make many good plays, but you could definitely see that his inclination is to attack.

I didn't see anything that made me think "he can't play in this league", ie too slow, unathletic, broken jumper, etc. He needs to fill out his frame and learn the game....RGV will be great for him.

10. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Really? See, I thought he looked very tentative and hesitant -- he passed up several wide open shots for instance. In fact, I think a lack of aggressiveness and confidence was his biggest issue last night.

But I agree, RGV will be really good for him, just like it was for Capela last year, and many other current contributors before that.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't know if I'm defending Sam Dekker because, like me, he looks dorky and white and has Midwestern ties (him: Wisconsin; me: Iowa), but I think he's gonna be a really good player.

We all know it was obviously only one game. He did look tentative and passed up a lot of shots that he should have taken, but it's tough to fault him. When you're surrounded by such NBA veteran talent, only your Kobes and whatnots will be jacking up every possible shot.

Dude can board and I think he had a steal or two (I'll have to check the stats, there were so many steals that Rockets players made that it was the reason we weren't blown out). He did a decent job trying to stay with his man. And he did hit that late three, which might help his confidence.

Also, the whole team was missing from the three point line last night. What were we, 3 for 92? If the others aren't hitting, the rookie probably won't say, "Then let ME do it."

He played a lot of 4 last night and he probably isn't ready for that. It did underscore a problem we might have at that spot.

I was more concerned about TJones than I was about Dekker last night. God help me, I almost found myself agreeing with jopat last night about Terrence Jones: For f***'s sake, get in the game!

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

He took 4 3s yesterday. While he did pass up some, 4 attempts when that's not the strength of your game is being aggressive.

Like I said, while he had no idea what he was doing, he did DO SOMETHING. The confusion was more when he was on the court with most of the starters and knew he was supposed to defer to them.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Dekker will need some seasoning for sure. He was lost on his rotations a few times, but he is being thrown into the fire playing against a lot of veterans. I don't read too much into a rookie's first preseason game, but it is pretty obvious he isn't going be ready to contribute in the short-term.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

He looked OK for playing his first NBA game ever. Surprisingly good at rebounding.

15. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

He'll be with the Vipers any way. Not like he's gonna get PT on the main roster

16. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Yeah, he looked bad. But let's give him a break. Capela was like 0-10 in FT attempts his first few games right?

17. thursdays

thursdays Member

I really don't see why everyone thinks he looked so bad yesterday? I agree he looked a little lost at times, but I also think he helped force at least 2 turnovers on defense and grabbed at least 1 rebound he had no business grabbing. Frankly I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed with his first showing.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

They typically don't amount to much. It's surprising that Morey has been able to pull so many productive players with late round, and 2nd round picks. If he blows one he's certainly due.

19. bmd

bmd Member

I think he has promise.

He is athletic for his size. He moves his feet well on defense and has good coordination. He doesn't look clumsy or slow at all.

That shows me he has the physical tools to be a good player in the league... both on offense and defense.

He's got a smooth shooting stroke, he just has to work on getting more consistent.

I have no doubt he can become a solid player in the league when he gains more experience.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

He looks big. He has long arms. I can see where he could play SF or PF. He moves really well and can jump. He can handle the ball. He looked really nervous in his first game, but that's to be expected.