1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fraud/Identity thief banking

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Sep 10, 2015.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Looks like someone from Florida was able to update my wells fargo acct to their mailing address and was able to have my personal debit card sent to them OVER THE PHONE!!!! Monitor your acct guys, be aware and stay safe. Get that identity thief protection, that helps.

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Is your name Sandy Bigelow Patterson?

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Nice pull, lol.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Would Lifelock have caught it?

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Use text verification

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Did someone from Facebook call you :)

7. VanityHalfBlack

Hah! Yes.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I have an account password, try one.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Sounds like maybe a dumpster diver got your banking details?

11. papadrunk

papadrunk Member

It wasn't a dumpster diver and an account password won't completely protect one from fraudulent transactions. It's highly probable it's an insider - they have access to customers' passwords/personal identifiers, which is required for account maintenance changes.

You may want to contact the bank and report that you suspect this was an inside job. Notify the bank of any recent face-to-face transactions with a teller and/or calls made to a phone bank prior to the incident. The bank may already suspect this is an internal issue and initiated an investigation, but wouldn't hurt to bring it up again.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Someone hacked my Groupon account recently and ordered a 500 USD camera. My credit card company automatically rejected the charges so the order never went through. But when I looked at the actual order the home delivery address was my home address so I'm not sure what type of scammer would have fraudulently ordered merchandise reach the actual owner's home.

Maybe he would drive by on the day of delivery and steal the parcel?

I sent Groupon an email and they sent an equally fraudulent looking type email asking for my full credit card details, 3 digit card number on the back, mailing address and phone number etc., so I never bothered to follow up with them. I then requested to sort it out over the phone, but haven't got around to calling them.