1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jb86, May 15, 2018.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I haven’t watched a lot of him, but one thing is obvious: he has elite length and very good shooting skills. This combination should guarantee him a legit shot in today’s NBA.

I don’t think he’ll overtake Capela like some people are saying. But he is a good prospect for sure. Guys like Porzingis and Bamba had similar traits (length + shooting) were high lottery picks. Rockets got him on the cheap. They can consider flip him for an asset while stocks are relatively high, like they did with Melton and Jeremy Lamb.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

His shooting stats from deep in that tournament are encouraging, at least.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I hope Bruno pushes that competition as well.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I haven't seen him play in China, but I was at summer league and caught a few games; watched him very closely.

He's really athletic for his size. He has the versatility to be a 4/5; and he has quick enough feet to switch and defend multiple positions. Defensively he's got as much promise as Capela in my opinion.

In fact, I don't think I've seen two bigs on the same team with the defensive versilitily potential of Capela and Zhou Qi.

He's a real find. A real talent for blocking shots, quick enough feet to stay with guys, nice range on his shot. A lot to work with here.

5. macan

macan Member

Yao:" come to my hotel room tonight"
    Joe: "........"

AvgJoe, clutchdabear and wireonfire like this.
  6. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I just luv the You...always our too...even better....lil man he is prompting you to be da big man. those throw downs are kinda high percentage....we have some wacky team here folks..at least they will be crazy fun...

7. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He should be. Haddadi was a complete NBA nobody. To get significant NBA minutes you have to be 20x better than Haddadi.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  8. StevieCrossover

Great Wall of Joe Chee still needs some of that American Cheese burgers.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Wall of Chee-se.

10. j@amc

j@amc Member

[​IMG]

Here's a write-up from the Chinese media on Zhou's improvement. Everyone can see it.
    The key sound byte:

"Under the eyes of billions of people, there is no doubt huge pressure," said Zhou. "For me, I just want to use my experience and advantages to help the team to have the best result. After a year in the NBA, I'm getting used to it."​

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Folk likely think Haddadi sucked at NBA level and Iran must suck but they are quite formidable, the most physical team in the Asian association.

Haddadi is effective in FIBA play.

They play as a unit like almost a good European team - Lithuania .....

12. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I Youtubed him and ended up watching the entire China Iran game just to scout him. After doing so, my enthusiasm is tempered quite a little bit. There are a few critical issues with Zhou:

1. He has very limited rim-running skills. Players who look like him - Gobert, Capela, Porzingis, Bamba need to have elite rim running skills to be effective in today's NBA. They need to set hard picks and catch lobs on the roll. Zhou, because of his limited strength and athleticism, hasn't demonstrated that he could get to near the rim with enough force and finish in traffic. He's not a pick and roll guy, but a pick and pop guy. This leads to the next point.

2. He has a slow release on his shot. Zhou has decent accuracy with midrange and three point jumpers. But it takes really long time for the ball to leave his hand. When when it does, he shoots with mostly one hand. This also limits his effectiveness as a pick and pop guy, since the defenders can get to him to bother the shot.

3. He's on-ball interior defense is bad. Due to lack to strength, he gets bumped off his spot really easily, which negates his length with shot blocking. He was pretty much abused 1 on 1 by Haddadi down low on a consistent basis. Haddadi is a slow, methodical and traditional low post player with no foot speed. Guys like that can't survive in today's NBA anymore. But guys like Brooke Lopez and Greg Monroe are much better versions of him, and they will kill Zhou 1 on 1 if they get matched up.

I still think Zhou has potential, but he's definitely not a sure thing in the NBA. I don't think he has star potential. Maybe he should be developed like Lauri Markkanen. If he can speed up his release and shoot much more than he does now, then he becomes more intriguing.

anchel and apollo33 like this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Summer League. He has been scorching hot from three...

D-rock likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Zhou Chi is NOT an NBA center.

Name One skill or attribute he possesses that says "Center" other than being tall.

IF he can stay in front of NBA talent defensively on the perimeter I'd play him as a 3-4 type as that's closer to his skillset than trying to make him a center which is trying to force a round peg into a square hole.

anchel likes this.
  15. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

I'd say that because he can shoot the offensive aspect wouldn't be a huge issue, Porzingis is an elite offensive player so comparing to him makes no sense, Bamba is maybe the closest comp and we'll just have to see how that works out. I guess the comp of an big shooter with little interior game would be more like Meyer Leonard, who's been pretty bad but there's a reason he got a bit contract, and I think Zhou's decision making and general court awareness is significantly better than Meyers Leonard.

His shot release has improved a ton especially if you watched summer league vs him in the CBA, he can release it pretty fast when he wants to, but ultimately if he's going to hit over 50% of his 3s he can release it as slow as he damn wants.

I've scouted him before he was drafted, my general analysis since then as it is now is that I think he's high floor lower ceiling on offense, in an offense like the Rockets the fact that he's a big who can shoot alone should keep him on the floor on that end.

The problem is that defensively he's a low floor high ceiling guy, while the blocking ability is legit special in just how great he times his blocks on top of being uber long, the problem isn't even interior defense, a guy like Hamid Haddadi isn't very common in the NBA now anyway, and even in the NBA if you actually watched Haddadi he was a brick wall that every pretty buffed bigs in the NBA regularly bounce off of (I specifically remember a play where he powered through Kendrick Penkins a few years back when Perk wasn't completely useless yet. and Perk's a guy who's only real NBA skill is strength as well.), as far as strength goes he was quite high level even by NBA standards and is especially proficient at getting under the arms and around thin guys like Zhou.

In the Rocket's scheme this seems fine, if the opposing team's game plan is trying to use Zbo to iso post up Zhou that's not going to be a winning formula for more than a couple of possessions anyway. The Iran game Haddadi tried to go max post up and it generally worked but he was also totally gased and useless on defense towards the later half of the game.

The bigger concern thing with Zhou on defense is actually the ability to guard more on the perimeter, you'd think as a long thin guy who's pretty agile he'd do fine there but in the summer league especially the last game the opposing team's scheme was simply to get their guards switch onto Zhou and blow by him from the perimeter, I mean even the best bigs at this will lose that sort of matchup more often than you'd like especially with no help,
    but with Zhou it was almost every down and it wasn't exactly elite guards that's killing him. granted the other guys did a general bad job of at least feinting help to slow the guys down a bit and the few times they didn't go by him Zhou bascially blocked every shot.

I think this is always going to be a weakness, and if he can't stick in the NBA this is probably the biggest problem. that he's too awful on penetration containment that his strength on D becomes irrelveant , especially problematic since the Rockets scheme is more demanding on bigs that way.

[​IMG]
    I think some of this is techniques that can be fixed to some degree, but he sure as hell need to fix this

ArtV and j@amc like this.
  16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

So you would play a guy that is slower than Kyle Wiltjer at the SF?

F'ing genius basketball mind you are...

Lawlruschang likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

This just SCREAMS NBA SF... :rolleyes:

Jesus Christ.

He is a stretch C. That is the only way his slow twitch muscles will ever make it in the NBA. This single clip shows it definitively.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Channing Free plays center with the same skillset except he can't even block shots.

19. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

Nobody is blocking his jumpshot lol

20. j@amc

j@amc Member

This is a good take. Tempered, realistic optimism. That’s what we need with Zhou. Maybe he steps forward into the rotation, maybe he gets game experience for 1/2 a year with RGV. He’s a work in progress.