1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Cunningham - Texans 2nd round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Dash, Apr 28, 2017.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dont know if this was meant to be facetious cause dagreatest is a horrible posting troll, but yes its good. The biggest problem I saw with him was with taking bad angles trying to cut off the edge rush. A few times in the Carolina game, the qb took off and he got burned cause he took a bad angle at the point of attack. It also happened once or twice with a rb.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I think it only happened when he tried to tackle McCaffrey. That guy is going to be a tough take down. Not too many are going to get a great shot in him. Also Joe Webb is still pretty fast himself. You won't see but one or two qbs with that speed.

donkeypunch likes this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

If not for his bad angles, I would've tried to see if he could be a safety/linebacker hybrid. See if we have something similar to a Kam Chancellor. I know it sounds weird but they're about the same size and speed.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Pretty evident already that Rick hit a home run on this guy.

The weakness of our defense has been covering RB's out of the backfield. We have not had a guy who could cover out of the LB spot since Original Juiced Cushing.

He might play a little high in tackling form, but I am impressed.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's very good so far

Houstunna likes this.
  6. eslate22

eslate22 Member

in Rick we trust?

7. tmacfor35

The Texans drafting MO has always been targeting guys with accolades. On defense, it typically works out really well.

McKinney and Cunningham are the future at LB, so hats off to Rick for nailing both of those.

I like our young talent at DB positions, but it is time to start dedicating drafts to the OL and WR options.

justtxyank likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He did great on his first 3 picks this year

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I guess this was meant as a shot?

I was pretty high on the Cunningham pick so I don't get it? He had form tackling issues in college and he has worked on it. It's weird to get heat for being excited about a player but saying he has some flaws.

I've hated two picks the Texans have made under OBrien; Will Fuller and Jaelen Strong. The rest I've liked, been indifferent on, didn't know enough about, talked myself into, etc. Only those two that I can remember absolutely hating.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Need to pump the breaks. Cunningham got destroyed in coverage vs. New England, have to think Belichick will go after him again. But he played well last night for sure.

11. justtxyank

He got shook by the Jags in coverage. However, each time I've seen him get beat it's looked like a rookie who just didn't know what the other guy was capable of. His actual coverage skills are pretty good. He even looks like a defensive back out there.

12. tmacfor35

New England does that to everyone. We saw Cunningham run down Joe Mixon in space a few times last night.

Impressive. His PFF rating the last two games have been tops in our defense. He can play and has all the college accolades to back it up.

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I really liked Zach Cunningham from the beginning they drafted him. He played well last night. This dude has potential to be a pro bowler, he has a promising future ahead of him.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Honestly, Rick's only real problem seems QB evaluation.

Big problem, but maybe Watson can solve it.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Outside of Hopkins, our WR evaluation has been horrid.

Houstunna likes this.
  16. justtxyank

QB Evaluation
    WR Evaluation is a mixed bag
    OL Evaluation is lol
    Making the picks drunk from the 2nd through the 4th round
    Trading up one spot to get his godson to giggle
    Saying "Hold my beer" when his drunk friends slurred "I bet you can't make the Texans OLine worse next year!"
    Sleeping through free agency this year
    Letting guys sign contract extensions at their neurologists office
    Accepting blood from a steroid needle as a "wet signature"

More than one problem.

Houstunna likes this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Just those? ;)

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

How is his QB evaluation bad? Lol

The guy has drafted two quarterbacks. One never really got a chance and was taken in the fourth round, which is typically where backups get drafted. In the small chance he's gotten, he's looked like a backup. The other guy is just starting out.

There's no way you can put quarterback signings on Smith, besides Osweiler. He was basically just signing whatever scrubs were available to potentially play minutes. Yes, I guess you could say the Osweiler evaluation was bad, but Elway was going to give Osweiler almost as much. Would you say Elway is a worse QB evaluator than Rick, considering he moved up for Lynch, who hasn't shown anything?

19. tmacfor35

I'm under the opinion that drafting QBs is a complete crap shoot. The first round guys are guys that have the physical tools, but after that its just pure luck on hitting on guys.

Back to Cunningham?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

The common theme there is offense. I don't know if it is the coach or the GM but they don't know what they are doing on that side of the ball. That said, if they come out of the last two draft with successful careers from Watson, Martin, Cunningham, Foreman, Reader and Fuller; that's pretty good for two drafts. Plus Ervin and Braxton are contributors.

Two Sandwiches likes this.