1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You're Phil Garner. What's your Game 1 lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Zac D, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I'm thinking:

1.) 2B Craig Biggio
    2.) CF Willy Taveras
    3.) LF Lance Berkman
    4.) 3B Morgan Ensberg
    5.) 1B Mike Lamb
    6.) DH Jeff Bagwell
    7.) RF Jason Lane
    8.) C Brad Ausmus
    9.) SS Adam Everett

I had trouble with only two things about that lineup - whether CF is Taveras or Burke (he'd bat second as well), and whether Bagwell hits at 6 or 7 with Lane at 6. Ultimately, I'd rather have Willy's glove in CF, especially with Berkman playing left, and I think Bagwell is more likely to have quality at-bats than Lane, even if Jason will probably hit for more power when he does hit.

2. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

couldn't have said it better myself

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Craig Biggio 2B
    Jeff Bagwell DH
    Lance Berkman LF
    Morgan Ensberg 3B
    Mike Lamb 1B
    Jason Lane RF
    Chris Burke CF
    Adam Everett SS
    Brad Ausmus C

Sandwiching Bagwell in between Biggio and Berkman will put pressure on Contreras to throw strikes. Plus it's only fitting the first two guys to step to the plate in our first World Series appearance would be Biggio and Bagwell.

4. Agent27

Agent27 Member

1. Biggio 2B
    2. Tavares CF
    3. Berkman 1B
    4. Ensberg 3B
    5. Lamb DH
    6. Lane RF
    7. Burke LF
    8. Ausmus C
    9. Everett SS

Yes, that's right. No Bagwell.

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Perfect.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

LOOK what ESPN has in the voting section as our DH! :eek:

9) Which team has the edge at designated hitter?

Chicago: Carl Everett
    Houston: Chris Burke

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

1.) 2B Craig Biggio
    2.) CF Willy Taveras
    3.) 1B Lance Berkman
    4.) 3B Morgan Ensberg
    5.) RF Jason Lane
    6.) DH Jeff Bagwell
    7.) LF Chris Burke
    8.) C Brad Ausmus
    9.) SS Adam Everett

I also had trouble with where to put Bagwell, but I figured that even though Lane doesn't have as much patience at the plate, he has been getting some clutch hits lately...I'd rather not mess with him.

Then I hate to see Berkman in the outfield on the road...I don't know the dimensions in Chicago but I know that nowhere is as short as MMP in left. I just don't think we can afford to sacrifice defense. Berkman starts both of the first 2 at either 1B or DH for me.

I have absolutely no problem with Lamb at DH either...I completely trust Garner, as they know more about Bagwell's capabilities right now than any of us do.

9. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

It would be awsome to put Bagwell in the DH role, but, everyone in baseball knows that hitting is a rythm game. Bagwell has had some pinch hits but, only the manager can get a sense for his hitting. Plus, everyone is saying that Bagwell doesn't have any power right now. So, it's really Burke vs. Bagwell. Both singles hitters; but Burke has speed for steals. And Lamb is going to play because he has hit left handers so well!!!

Burke at LF
    Berkman at 1st
    Lamb at DH

are better defensively than

Berkman at LF
    Lamb at 1st
    Bagwell DH

Lane at Right Field, Willy at CF, Everett at SS, Biggio at 2nd base, Ensberg at 3rd base, and Ausmus at catcher are all given.

10. Agent27

Agent27 Member

I get the feeling that everyone wants to see Bagwell for sentimental reasons.

But do we really know what he's capable of right now? Look how long it took Lance to get his stroke back. Bagwell has only had 12 AB's since coming back and that's no where near long enough to get his swing back.

In my mind, you have to play Burke. He's batting .348 in the postseason and has an OB% of .400.
    Lamb is batting .273 with 2 HR. I don't sit him either.

While it would be nice if Jeff were healthy and back in the groove, he's not. He may be healthy enough to bat but he just hasn't had a chance to get his swing up to speed. That's why I wouldn't put Bagwell in the lineup. It sucks, but the Astros would stand a better chance of winning if he wasn't in the Lineup.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

No, we don't. And that's all the more reason for him to start in Game 1. If we lose this game, it's not the end of the series. And furthermore, the odds of losing the game because we started Bagwell instead of Burke are incredibly low. Give him 4-5 consecutive ABs, and observe closely... not just whether or not he gets on base, but how well he's striking the ball. Then you can make a better informed decision for the rest of the series.

Also, Berkman's not the only player to come back from an injury. Others have come back and done fine in their first few games (look at Bonds, off the top of my head). It's different from player to player and from injury to injury, and considering Bagwell's history with the franchise, he deserves at least the opportunity to prove himself.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The ChiSox threw 4 complete games in the last series because the Angels are a free swinging team that doesn't draw walks or run up pitch counts. Of the current Stros, most are similarly free-swingers. We need Bagwell to give us quality ABs and force longer innings for the Chicago starts.

Biggio
    Burke
    Berkman
    Ensberg
    Bagwell
    Lane
    Lamb
    Ausmus
    Everett

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

dude, where have you been!!???

go 'stros!

14. today

today Contributing Member

Here's the official lineup:

Biggio
    Taveras
    Berkman
    Ensberg
    Lamb
    Bagwell
    Lane
    Ausmus
    Everett

Burke is coming off the bench I guess...

15. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I RULE.

Let's go 'Stros!

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Bagwell
    Bagwell
    Bagwell
    Bagwell
    Bagwell
    Bagwell
    Bagwell