1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Ideal Lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by theimpossibles1, Jun 15, 2019.

1. theimpossibles1

1 - Springer
    2 - Altuve
    3 - Bregman
    4 - Brantley
    5 - Correa
    6 - Alvarez
    7 - Gurriel
    8 - Reddick
    9 - Chirinos

Straw pinch running.

*Drools*

Starting pitchers:

1 - Verlander
    2 - Cole
    3 - MadBum (gitrdone)
    4 - Peacock
    5 - Miley

Harris Pressley Osuna 7th 8th 9th.

*Drools*

2. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Can’t argue too much with that 1-9 hitter lineup. It’s a shame Marisnick is bound to see reduced playing time, which underscores that he may well be part of any deal to bring some pitching in around the trade deadline.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If it was me...

Bregman
    Alvarez
    Springer
    Brantley
    Correa
    Altuve
    Tucker
    Guriel
    Chirinos

Best hitter hits 2. I think that might be YA
    I love Bregman at the top with his obp
    Altuve is the worst of our top 6 hitters so I will hit him 6th.
    This is a nice problem to have.
    Springer hits lower as Bregman and YA are obp monsters.
    I know there is literally zero chance this happens, but it’d be my ideal. Also switches handedness
    If tucker ***** the bed again then Reddick goes back in that spot.

4. maw7079

maw7079 Member

???
    When healthy... Altuve is the best hitter in baseball.

I’d go:
    Springer
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Alvarez
    Brantley (to protect Yordan)
    Correa
    Gurriel
    Chirinos
    Reddick (set table for Springer)

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

In a dream:

CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    1B TBD
    SS Correa
    RF Tucker
    C Chirinos

Bench: Diaz, Marisnick, TBD

With the TBDs being a star caliber 1B (Encarnacion, Smoak, Santana, Castellanos, etc.) and a starting caliber C (Lucroy, Narvaez, Avila, etc.)

Otherwise, keep 13 position players with Reddick and Gurriel serving as a 1B platoon and Stassi as the backup C.

6. theimpossibles1

Did you just start watching the Astros this year?

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Is the Altuve who has gotten older, and hurt, the same Altuve as 2017 MVP? I don’t think so.
    You people are acting like saying he’s the 6th best hitter in this group is bad:

Altuve
    Bregman
    Brantley
    Correa
    Alvarez
    Springer.

Look at Altuve since he got hurt and tell me that’s not plausible

Bregman, Brantley and Alvarez all control the strike zone better than him

Alvarez, Springer and Correa all have more natural power than him

Altuves bat to ball went from otherworldly to merely super above average.

I hope Altuve gets back to 2017 but I think that might be gone. Altuve is merely 30% better than league average this year. The other guys are all better than that, this year. Seriously, it wasn’t an insult to Jose (my favorite Astro btw) it was a demonstration of how ridiculous this group is.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Springer
    Bregman
    Altuve
    Alvarez
    Correa
    Brantley
    Diaz
    Chirinos
    Tucker

9. theimpossibles1

I'm all aboard the Alvarez hype train, but to say a kid who has 5 games under his belt "controls the zone better than and is a better hitter" than Altuve, a career .314 batter, is stupid.

10. HTown2017Champs

Well, cross off Encarnacion. Too bad, he's really good and had been connected to us for a while. Castellanos is having a down year, plus doesn't really play 1B. Can't see Santana (or Abreu) being traded. I bet Santana would be really pissed if he was traded, he loves Cleveland, clearly regretted signing with Philly, and was happy to come back to the place he calls home.
    I love Smoak. Excellent eye at the plate, power potential, and you have to remember, in 2017 (his 38 HR all star year) he had Donaldson, Bautista, Martin, Morales and Pillar (when they were all really good) all in the lineup to protect him. I watch a decent amount of Blue Jay games because I like their young core, and I can tell guys like to pitch around him. They've done plenty of business with us, and based on past deals I'm confident they'll hand him over for a blocked AAAA pitcher with upside, since they love those types of guys (Hauschild, Paulino, Thornton, maybe one other?).
    I love Lucroy as well, he's not what he once was but would still be an excellent backup, give Chirinos much-needed rest, and he deserves a ring. Stubbs seems to just be Valdez's personal catcher.

everyday eddie and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  11. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    LF Brantley
    1B Gurriel
    RF Reddick
    C Chirinos

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He absolutely controls the strike zone better that’s beyond obvious. That’s not exactly an Altuve strength btw...
    Better hitter? I’m certainly projecting but Would you like to bet me OPS+ or wRC for the rest
    Of the season and take Altuve while I get Yordan? I will be happy to take that bet if you want it.

13. theimpossibles1

OPS? WRC? Alvarez is more of a slugger, duh. Hitting means hitting. As in getting hits. You clearly don't have a grasp on basic baseball terminology.

Also, for you to say anything is "beyond obvious" when talking about a guy 5 games into his career, tells me you are not someone worth discussing baseball with.

#13 theimpossibles1, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    PavlovsDog likes this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I was an assistant GM in the north woods league, I can promise you I know a little bit about baseball. You are talking about batting average and saying I don’t know baseball- that’s completely ****ing rich dude.
    Hitting is about scoring runs. Ops and wRC measure that way better and you want to talk about BA? You’ve just brought piss to a **** fight.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I just looked up all the rate stats by the way and Altuve is literally 8th on the team in everything offensive that matters- behind the group of 5 I had and Díaz and Chirinos. Now, I have zero doubt he will be better than those two by the end of the year, and Alvarez in 5 games is definitely a small sample size, but controlling the strike zone is about swinging at strikes and not swinging at balls and yeah dude- if you can’t look at Alvarez spring, look at his stats in the minors, look at how he takes pitches up here so far and see that he’s got advanced strike zone discipline, while recognizing that’s never been Altuves thing then I don’t know what to tell you.

A guy doesn’t have to control the strike zone to be great. Vlad didn’t. Altuve is on his way to the HOF and that’s never been his thing. But if you succeed that way you are an outlier, and when you lose some of that specialness that allowed you to overcome you either need to adjust or you won’t be great much longer.

16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve (can flip with Brantley)
    LF Brantley (can flip with Altuve)
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    1B Gurriel
    C Chirinos
    RF Reddick

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What did Correa do to you?

Wulaw Horn and Tomstro like this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Bregman
    Altuve
    Brantley
    Springer
    Correa
    Alvarez
    Chirinos
    Reddick
    Gurriel

T for 3, theimpossibles1 and BigM like this.
  19. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Well that's a new one.

Game7 and Tomstro like this.
  20. psingh34

psingh34 Member

just last year Altuve was hitting .346 by end of june (no Astro is even near that mark having reasonable number of at bats) and .329 by the end of july. Its not like that was a long time ago. When healthy Altuve will hit above .320 guaranteed

tuve