1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You are seeing why we have to play iso

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 17, 2019.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Well if the method works...isn't it Morey's Job to get the personnel needed to beat these guys.

HP3 and PhiSlamma15 like this.
  2. basketballholic

Not secretly disguised troll post.

3. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

yea..few more all stars at least 1-2 more give it a shot.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since when is stating the truth trolling?

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It’s not the system, it’s the personnel. Just my humble opinion.

Rockets were 2nd in the league in ORtg. That’s while starting the season with MCW/Melo/Ennis/M Chriss and injuries.

What the Rockets lacked was bigger athletic defenders to match the Warriors bigger athletic players. Shumpert and Rivers played better than I expected, but it’s still like taking a knife to a gun fight. Bucks will be going guns vs guns when they face the Warriors.

BaselineFade and Roxfreak724 like this.
  6. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Harden gets to line easier with iso kinda like how Kobe and tmac used to do.

They gotta do iso for a reason...best believe that.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  7. dejamike

dejamike Member

This blazers series really shows that we are indeed is the closest team to dethrone the warriors. I know we are all still upset about the elimination, but the organization just needs to keep building on what we have. No other team out there remotely have a chance to beat the Warriors, and yes, this includes the Bucks. I would be surprised if the Bucks make past game 6 with a healthy Durant. I’m going to be mad for maybe another month or so... but Rockets for life!!!

roslolian and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

It really depends on if the Bucks' taller personnel can stay out on the floor. Will Lopez be such a defensive liability that he's unplayable? Will Mirotic and Ersan be able to switch and communicate effectively on defense?

Because if the Bucks' guards end up having to play the majority of minutes to keep up with the Warriors, then it will be over fairly quickly. The Warriors defense is too good for Giannis to single-handedly dominate without a reliable jump-shot.

I honestly don't know how it will play out, I see a lot of reasons why the Bucks should be competitive, and may even have a sizeable advantage, but how will the matchups actually play out?

Hakeemtheking, smp, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nope. For me, basketball season ends when the Rockets season ends. I can't even remember the last time I watched a game after the Rockets were eliminated. Why would I? There is nothing left at stake. Up until the point they are eliminated I can enjoy games because I can watch the team and think about how the Rockets might match up with them. After the Rockets are eliminated? Who cares?

10. basketballholic

I guess

Hey that works great too since the world is ending and there's no next season...........

Sheesh

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

OP, fire your source.

basketballholic likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

REGULAR SEASON ORTG STATISTICS ARE MEANINGLESS.

I'm not sure how many times I need to relay these stats. The Rockets CONSISTENTLY drop to MIDDLE OF THE PACK in playoff Ortg. They are 6th/7th out of the 16 playoff teams in playoff Ortg almost every year.

In a perfect world, this isn't that complicated. In order of priority, imo:

1. Better talent all around

2. Change system A BIT. Say 30% of half-court sets. This change involves simple things like adding plays, starting a play before there are 10 seconds left in the clock. Having more than 2 out of bounds plays, both of which now suck, etc.

3. Better coaching.

All things can be true. The issue/question is what's possible?? #1 is the HARDEST thing to do, as it is #1 for basically every team in the NBA except GSW. #2 isn't hard to do at all. Except for the fact they don't want to do it because they also love regular season stats. Just like they love being 5-8 vs. GSW while everyone else is less, as if that's a win. #3 is harder to do than it sounds. Cause while MDA has his faults, almost EVERY coach has their faults.

Can't do 1.
    Won't do 2.
    Doing 3 is too risky.

???

Jake Tower likes this.
  13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Iso has been a great offense so far... We have made it to the finals the last 5 years..

T_Man

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Of course, but number 1 (better talent all around) increases Playoff ORtg. Teams can’t scheme on just the top 3 scoring options. GSW is a motion offense with back door cuts.......do you remember that they went to Durant iso predominantly
    last season vs us? The did because Houston took away their back door cuts by switching with guys bigger than small guards. This is why I say better defenders is more important.

Not to mention “Freedom of Movement” enforcement allowed for more holding by the smaller players in years past.

If you want to get technical: give me ORtg of teams running 3-Men out with PnR (facilitator/roll man) or iso run offenses vs playoff ORtg of those same teams.

Then tell me how successful motion offenses ORtg did this year in regular season vs Playoffs. Just this year
    without the grabbing of years past. In years past Cavs have won the East with iso and PnR with kick outs.
    How many teams succeed that way. San Antonio in 13/14 with motion offense........many teams load up the
    playoffs running Iso and PnR kick outs.

Get over it. It’s not the system.....it is the talent across the board. This is why I always preach quality over
    quality (don’t over pay for a few when you can have more talent for less). Regardless of system.....they
    all run the same sets. All teams tend to decrease in ORtg from reg season to playoff season.
    Don’t try to suggest motion offenses increase their ORtg from regular season to playoff season....they
    take a hit as well since they are then facing playoff contenders that usually have better defenses than
    lowly teams in the regular season.

#114 ApacheWarrior, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    HP3 likes this.
  15. basketballholic

Myers Leonard can't defend a fire hydrant but his shooting is keeping the Warriors hammered down up to this point.

You have to have shooting at at least the 4 off ball positions.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

*at least 4 off ball positions.* If we had shooting at 5 *off ball positions* that might help beat the Warriors, tbh. ;)

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Holic, this I agree with, but as Deuce said, why not just have shooting at all 5 positions? Lol.

Point being, this doesn't point to ISO being necessary, it points to having great offensive players throughout the lineup. It's saying to beat a team that has great players, you need great players!!

Yes... duh.

18. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Unlikely, because if all five players are off ball, that means the Warriors have the ball. :D Hard to score that way.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I was hoping the Rockets could play 6 on 5, tbh.

20. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Still six on eight with the refs on their side