1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yordan Alvarez (finally) called up

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 8, 2019.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Even though he hasn't hit a homerun in a couple games, he still hits the crap out of the ball and he makes good contact. I would not be surprise that pitchers pitch around him until at least Correa gets back into the lineup to protect him.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I would offer him a ten year 150 million dollar deal right now.

Rox Addict and rockbox like this.
  3. rockbox

If he works on his launch angle like JD, he could threaten Barry Bonds record. His power is effortless.

Rox Addict likes this.
  4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Cool link. There’s a rabbits hole that’ll cost me several hours of my life on a go forward basis.

5. Buck Turgidson

He might want to figure out how to hit MLB fastballs

6. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Why would you do that when you are trying to build a championship team and pushing the luxury tax line. you control yordan for over half that contract you are proposing for cheap. 3 years of team control then 3 more arbitration years. extensions happen after a couple years down the road when you want to buy out arbitration years to save money. You dont give a guy 15 million per the first time you call him up when he is under team control. We have him for a minimum of 6 years. Thats plenty of time to figure it out.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

Even the best player out there (Trout) got his "early" extension after his first 2 years, exactly what the Astros did with Bregman.

I think you try to lock in the special ones after 2 years. Sometimes they sign (Bregman), sometimes they play it out (Springer), and then sometimes you do get them locked in for the remainder of their prime (Altuve).

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

97 mph fastball last night that he turned and ripped. 93 MPH fastball that he hit 320 or so oppo. Haven’t seen him make good contact on a quality high fastball in the zone but he seems to lay off up out of the zone.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’d offer 10/150 right now too. Might lose but if you don’t it’s huge value.
    There’s a risk with everything that’s done. We might have locked Altuve up past his prime. If so he more than earned it and I will never complain he got his after overproducing so much the first 6/7 years.

10. Nook

Nook Member

It’s too early to offer him a massive contract.

He is going to start being pitched differently.

11. SemisolidSnake

Can we somehow sneak him into the Home Run Derby? It won't ruin his swing. It would be an amazing thing to see him effortlessly clubbing ball after ball into the stands.

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I’m sure he will get an invite.

13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Agreed on the massive contract but pitchers have already been overly cautious with him and he’s been hitting in the cleanup spot...it’s not like he’s snuck up on anyone Tyler White style.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

While I agree, he's been thrown head first into the clean-up spot and done admirably. There's only so much pitchers can do differently than what they're already doing.

15. rockbox

Only high fastballs or lay off of them and make pitchers throw strikes. The thing about Alvarez compared to guys like judge is that Alvarez has hit .320 plus in every stop of the minor leagues. What he's doing isn't any different than what he was doing in the minors since he was 19 years old. He's just doing it against major league pitching. His power has increased but that easily explained by the fact that he's went from 180 pounds on a 6'5" frame to 235 pounds. Judge's numbers actually went up when he joined the Yankees.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I’ve been a huge supporter of Alvarez for years. He is a skilled hitter that happens to have power. He has been unfairly stereotyped. Still, he still has some issues with fastballs.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

[​IMG]

“Jeez, how come nobody else picked up on this guy??”

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I was 100% the wait and see guy on Alvarez. I never assumed he would be bad or anything....but my god he looks good. Is there room on the bandwagon?

20. HTown2017Champs

Anybody is welcome to appreciate his greatness. I just love the mechanics of his swing, and the fact that he just hits the ball hard with such ease. After many years of seeing top prospects bust I had my doubts on him (and other top prospects too, not just him), but once we were far enough into this AAA season, that's when everybody knew he was the real deal.

T for 3 likes this.