1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(YAHOO'S) Finance & Sports articles on Lin's $25M w/Harden & 6th man role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

Why The Rockets Benched Jeremy Lin A Year After Giving Him $25 Million- Yahoo buiness insider
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-rockets-benched-jeremy-lin-163132670.html
    -good stat chart on comparing Harden & lin stats when each is on or off the court

Houston Rockets: Jeremy Lin’s Benching Makes Team Better, and Gives Him a Chance at the Sixth Man of the Year Award - Yahoo sports http://sports.yahoo.com/news/housto...enching-makes-team-better-163500238--nba.html
    -yahoo sports talks about what we know but first article saying he has a chance at 6th man

media is all over this topic already, this lin bench, potential 6th man may be a bigger topic then howard coming to Houston to start off the rockets season. Know a lot of fans would hope not but the reality is, it is as of now. Howard off the radar ?

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good article.

I don't care that we have an expensive bench player,
    I only care if we have a productive player.

Jamal Crawford is an expensive bench player, he's pretty productive

1 person likes this.
  3. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Lin is the more publicized story because Howard made his decision over 3 months ago. You had best believe if Howard goes 30/20 tonight no one will be talking about Lin's benching outside of Clutchfans. The only people who will be paying more attention to Lin off the bench than Dwight's debut are Lin fans.

4. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Obligatory: the second article is Y! Sports Contributor Network, and does NOT reflect the opinion of a Y! Sports journalist or editor.

5. iam

iam Member

the 3 point percentage is staggering.

JLin w/o Harden shoots 45%.
    JLin w/ Harden shoots 30%.

Harden w/ Lin shoots 39%.
    Harden w/o Lin shoots 32%...

I can't really explain this. it's a big difference. Harden has more success with outside shooting with Lin. Lin has less success with Harden.

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

poor lin

really feel bad for the guy

played his butt off, has always been a good guy and did very well in pre-season w improved shooting and left hand but still gets benched

1 person likes this.
  7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

M De Moor alert for the second link.

Also why is everything in caps?

8. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it is very easy to explain.

w/o lin, harden's utilization was high but his efficiency was falling. it means harden did get tired as load and playing time were increased.

w/o harden, lin's utilization became high and his efficiency was rising too. it means lin's strength requires ball in his hand. coz lin played less min w/o harden than harden w/o lin. it's tough to say whether lin's efficiency may drop with load increasing or not.

9. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

I don't feel sorry for him. With 25 millions dollars, I don't mind giving Mchale food massage.

10. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

A lot of people started watching NBA again because of Lin. After the lock out not every fan came back. only half of NBA fans came back. With Lin coming back he intrigue the people who stopped watching and brought people who don't play/watch basketball.

Pretty sure even if Dwight gets 50 points. A lot of people are still going to talk about Lin being benched. I'm one of those people who came to see Lin but I don't mind him being benched.

11. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Easy - Harden routinely gives the ball back to Lin with less than 3 seconds on the shot clock. Lin breaks down defenses and helps Harden get easy 3's.

12. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Lin was still the most talked about player here even when Dwight announced he was coming over. Howard and Harden may be the official faces of the franchise in theory, but neither of them generates as much interest or discussion that Lin does (and that probably won't change for the foreseeable future).

13. CertifiedTroll

So why do you not feel bad for Beverley who plays even harder?

14. rocketblood713

If D12 scored 50 points the story would be about how "Dwight Howard IS BACK" not Lin IMO especially how he has handles things the past 2 years

15. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

This is probably a good part of the story. We all know Harden can be pretty notorious for giving up the ball way too late in the shot clock and forcing someone else to take the last-ditch three. However, for the first two numbers at least, part of the story is probably also that Lin is poorer at catch-and-shoot than he is at creating his own three-point shot. The same is probably true for most other players in the league.

16. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I am not a psychologist on human behavior patterns but I think it could be the fact that Lin was DEMOTED while Beverly was promoted?

I think I should write a research article for Scientific Journal of this odd finding

:rolleyes:

17. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

LOL. You might want to re-read what you wrote a few more time.

You must have a big hangover last night.

18. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Has McHale said anything about putting Jeremy in the "6th man role" at all or is it only the fans' wishful thinking? How do we know he's not just a backup?

19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

fan and media wishful thinking that Jeremy will be given a sixth man role.