1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Finance] 30 Under 30 Moving the World in 2015 (James Harden)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Jan 5, 2015.

1. yobod

yobod Member

[​IMG]

James Harden, 25
    Shooting guard, Houston Rockets

As a chubby teenager with asthma, James Harden knew his NBA dream was a "long shot." But the future superstar forced himself to get up early before school to jack up shots in the gym and lift weights. That work eventually earned Harden a scholarship to Arizona State, where he played for two years before being drafted third overall in 2009 by the Oklahoma City Thunder. More than five years later, Harden is living out his fantasy, now as the starting shooting guard for the Houston Rockets with an Olympic gold medal to his name. "Most of the days I didn’t want to get up, it was too early," he says, looking back at his teenage years when he was unknown and, yes, beardless. "But I had to, and it definitely paid off." Today, Harden is one of the league's most likeable — and marketable — players, complete with prodigious facial hair and a quirky fashion sense. His on-court talent earned him a five-year, $80 million contract extension in 2012, while his off-court charisma has led to endorsements with Nike, Foot Locker and sports drink company BodyArmor. "Sometimes you’re just born and gifted with something," he says of his eccentricities. "The beard, the mohawk, the way I dress, it’s just instilled in me."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/30-under-30-moving-world-090000615.html

2. smr6

smr6 Member

Most likeable? Rhetoric around the league says otherwise.

Pretty cool to see him on there though!

3. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Why doesn't the chubby part surprise me? The beard is just to cover up his weird looking chin and jawline hahah :)

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

he's definitely not the most likeable lol

but props to the youth...hope i can make an impact in some sort of way!

5. baubo

baubo Member

Harden is probably a lot more popular among casual fans than hardcore fans. Much of the stuff he's criticized for less of a big deal for normal fans who don't spend all their time complaining on the internet about defense of getting FTs.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Now I want to know how chubby Harden was in his childhood.

7. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Most likeable? LMAO around the league it seems they always talking $hit about his game and how he lives on the free throw line