1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Yahoo.com] Quadruple amputee Kyle Maynard's to make MMA debut on Saturday

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GRENDEL, Apr 23, 2009.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I respect the guy for what he is doing but I wouldn't put money on him.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

How on earth does he plan on attacking a trained fighter. there is no way this dude could beat my ass let alone someone who has chosen to make a career as a fighter. wrestling rules are completely different.

i think his personal story is awesome and I have respect for him, but this just doesn't seem like it will end well.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Why does everybody assume it'll be a trained fighter? This is a small regional league that apparently at times has people who don't even bother to train fight. They haven't even released who his opponent will be. For all we know it could be some weakass chump who couldn't beat Raggedy Ann in the ring. I'm not saying I expect him to win, but if they put him up against an opponent with no talent or experience, I wouldn't be that shocked if he won.

4. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

That's amazing what he can do. He trained his neck and shoulders to wrestle. He may have an advantage on the ground against a novice fighter.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How could he possibly take anyone to the ground?

Anyone with a brain could easily handle this guy(much respect).

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O09y--0m0Wg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O09y--0m0Wg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Last round of his fight.
    Lost unanimous decision. I guess I shouldn't have bet the farm on him. :rolleyes:

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

^ Oh wow, that is awful.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Seriously, how the EFF do you justify trying to punch/kick this guy in the face? That's like trying to fight MMA against a dog (no offense to Mr. Maynard).

The guy is defenseless though....

9. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Maynard is an idiot for trying MMA. At least the other fighter pretended to make it look close (but seriously, why would you back away when an amputee crawled your way trying to fight?).

10. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I know this guy is trying to prove that people with disabilities can still do things anyone can do, but that's just ridiculous. How did he expect to win? He can't knock the guy out, he can submit him, all he can try to do is stay on top of him and get the decision but anyone with any knowledge of wrestling could easily reverse anything he tries.

11. junglerules

junglerules Member

I've seen that 20/20 video a while back, and one of the few advantages he did have was that he's probably a lot stronger than many other people in his weight class because his weight is reduced not having limbs. His chest and shoulders are crazy strong, though. Regardless, many of the wresting advantages are negated in a sport in which you can kick and punch. As others said, he has very little defense for that.

12. aghast

aghast Member

When I was eight, I had a dream. I wanted to get in the ring opposite Mike Tyson. Fortunately, neither my family nor my state licensing board supported me in that dream, and I live to tell the tale.

Watching that was painful: the triumph of the human spirit smacks right into the brick wall of reality. Whichever state licensed a quadruple amputee to fight should be forced to secede.

Indomitable Spirit (NSFW--language):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AckxOWz868k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AckxOWz868k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. Cannonball

It's kind of hard to hit him because you have to bend over and it's hard to get an angle on his torso when he's crawling around. But the dude has no offense. He may be quick for a quadriplegic but he's not fast for a normal person. He didn't get a single blow in the entire fight. The other guy didn't get too terribly many punches in, but when your opponent can't connect once, you don't have to.

BTW, Kyle's mother is freaking annoying. In the YouTube video of the 2nd round, you can hear her taunting Kyle's opponent, saying he's afraid to fight. In reality, it's just good strategy. If you don't even give your opponent a chance to do something offensively, you're going to win the fight.

14. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I'm glad he got a chance to do what he wanted to do or whatever, but that was completely absurd.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I said earlier I respect Kyle Maynard for all that he is done but that was just grotesque. My understanding is that they changed the rule so that he can't be kicked because he is always considered down at that point it isn't MMA since they've given him an exception and the most this is some form of modified Jujitsu.

I saw an interview where Kyle Maynard said he wanted to try it to know that he could handle himself in street fight but with all due respect in street fight they aren't going to give you that break. If he tries what he did in an actual street fight or even if they didn't give him the exception he likely gets a lot of boots to the head as he tries charging.

Again I don't question his heart and he has accomplished a lot but he has to realize that he is being given a handicap here and frankly IMO as someone who does combative sports he's not honoring the sport.

16. aghast

aghast Member

Oh, no, someone in his family encouraged this travesty?

So it was like fighting a toothless dog, then? How can anyone possibly win in this fight, even the promoter? How can his opponent, in good conscience, throw a punch? How can he, missing his arms, possibly answer?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RVX8Ab6Gjhk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RVX8Ab6Gjhk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. Cannonball

I only knew it was her because in the 60 minutes piece, she did the same thing to his high school wrestling opponents. His parents were very supportive of his wrestling and I guess they're also supporting of his attempt at MMA.

18. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I'm glad he got a chance to live out his dream, but the other guy was clearly holding back. If he ever got in with anyone who would try to hurt him, it would be a bad scene. And it's not fair to his opponents, either, who would look like the biggest a-hole in the known universe.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nL0dnrFbhtE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nL0dnrFbhtE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. aghast

aghast Member

Yeah, I just watched all three rounds of this grand guignol. To his credit, the opponent only threw jabs, and it appeared he was aiming specifically for Maynard's torso, passing up the easy shots at his head.

On the bright side, I'm pretty sure I'm going to feel a heck of a lot better about my life & limbs when I go for a jog in the morning. So, selfishly speaking, a plus?