1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Yahoo.com] Quadruple amputee Kyle Maynard's to make MMA debut on Saturday

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GRENDEL, Apr 23, 2009.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Congenital amputee Kyle Maynard's long road to Saturday's MMA debut
    Kyle Nagel, MMAjunkie.com
    Apr 22, 4:48 pm EDT

This time, Kyle Maynard left home and made his way to Auburn, Ala., a week early.

Two years ago, when he almost made his amateur mixed-martial-arts debut, Maynard held a greater concern about all his fight meant and how much it was despised in the MMA community. He had been home in Suwanee, Ga., where his MMA interest began more than two years before as a high school senior.

But too many people didn't want him to fight. They didn't like the idea of an accomplished high school wrestler who was born with no arms or legs below the elbows or knees with an awesomely inspirational personal story participating in an Atlanta amateur event. The Georgia body that sanctions such events didn't like the idea either, so officials denied Maynard a license to fight, and the issue went dormant.

[​IMG]

Georgia native and congenital amputee Kyle Maynard is a former champion wrestler who is looking to break into mixed martial arts.
    (Getty Images)

Until recently. With another push made mostly on his own behalf, Maynard is scheduled to make his delayed amateur MMA debut on Saturday at Auburn Fight Night at the Auburn Covered Arena in Auburn, Ala. The fight's announcement caused major ripples in the international MMA consciousness and reopened the debate about Maynard's place in MMA.

Maynard has tried to avoid that debate this time, changing his Internet home page away from the number of MMA websites he reads daily and moving his training camp to Auburn instead of Georgia.

Still, he's surprised his fight has caused such uproar, and this time he's not reading about it.

"With the Internet being an open, anonymous forum, people feel like they can say anything, things they probably wouldn't say to my face," Maynard told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Tuesday. "That doesn't really surprise me as much.

"It just surprises me how many people fear the sport is so fledgling that if I got hurt, it would end it."

Many in the MMA community have worried this fight is simply a freak show with a money-hungry promoter pulling the strings and talking Maynard into a fight because of a guaranteed big gate.

But Maynard and fight officials say the opposite is true. Maynard initiated the idea, fought for his Georgia license, appealed after its denial and is the public-relations front man for the Auburn show. He's making many of the calls himself, setting up many of the details.

When a reporter calls the Auburn Covered Arena to ask about the buzz surrounding the fight and says his name is Kyle, the receptionist quickly chirps, "Oh, hi Kyle!" But it's not Kyle Maynard, and she apologizes. She explains that it's pleasant to get a call from Maynard because of his passion for the event and his attention to the minor details.

So he calls, what, once a week?

"He calls all the time," she says.

Still, many hold concerns that Maynard will not be safe in an MMA cage. Even though the rules won't allow him to be kicked or kneed in the face, many wonder how he can protect himself from blows, and how could he expect to win a fight except for decision?

"Would I allow a fighter with limited arms and legs in the state of Ohio?" said Bernie Profato, executive director of the Ohio Athletic Commission. "Put simply, no."

But the fight is on, ending a nearly two-year-long saga that made national news for a license denial in Georgia and perhaps even bigger news for the fight's move to Alabama, where there is no licensing body for MMA.

Promoters are not making the opponent's name public because they feel Maynard and fight officials are facing enough heat that they don't need to add another name to the list. Maynard supporters feel he has a strong chance to win because he has the strength of a much larger person but will be fighting 135-pounders.

Whatever happens, the weekend's event will gather plenty of MMA attention, and supporters say that detractors will be surprised with how competitive the fight will be.

"I was extremely concerned about Kyle fighting mixed martial arts until I got to know him better and saw all the things he can do," said David Oblas, president of Undisputed Productions and the fight's promoter. "Once you get into Kyle Maynard the athlete, you see he's quicker and stronger than most people, his arms extend long enough to protect his head, and his power to punch is tremendous.

"As the sport of MMA grows larger, we're getting more amateur fighters who don't have a damn clue. They train in their dad's garage, and because they watch 'The Ultimate Fighter,' they think they can fight. Kyle studies this; he knows what he's doing. I feel safer putting Kyle Maynard in the ring with no arms and no legs than almost all of the 0-0 fighters out there."

And this time, Maynard says he isn't fighting to show people he can. He says he's doing it to show himself that he can.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=mmajunkie-Maynard_road_to_MMA_debut&prov=mmajunkie&type=lgns

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I hope he yells out "It's just a flesh wound!"

1 person likes this.
  3. Fatty FatBastard

Isn't kicking allowed in MMA?

I don't see this ending well...

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You can't kick him when he's down, and he will be considered down. But he can be punched.

5. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

i guess arm bars and leg locks are out

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

You'll trip on his nubs.

Who the hell let this happen for money?... Nevermind...

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

This will not end well.

He cannot do a blind rear choke. :eek:

Am I Going to H-E-double-hoc... I mean, "HELL" for that? :confused:

8. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Seriously, I don't see how he can possibly win a fight.

Can't punch or kick to knock anyone out. He can't effectively block punches or kicks either.

Without limbs, he can't gain any leverage on an opponent even if the fight starts on the ground. Even if he manages to gain leverage, he can't submit anyone.

This fight really shouldn't take place. Even though most fighters genuinely respect one another, when they fight they really want to do serious damage to each other.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WdlajKhoj9k&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WdlajKhoj9k&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here is a 20/20 story about his life.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I wonder if I could beat him up. Probably not unless I can kick him.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

FYI : Kicks are definitely allowed in MMA (even when down). Well at least in the UFC.

12. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

So he has a great ground game. This is crazy.

13. Dei

Dei Member

WTH? We're actually taking a quad-amputee as an MMA artist seriously? Reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyy?

I'd just pick him up, throw him, then flying kick him.

He's got really good handwriting, though...

14. JamesC

JamesC Member

I dont wanna count him out like so many others have, but going into a MMA event against another trained fighter doesn't seem like the best idea. If I was an MMA fighter I dont know if I would fight him unless I really needed the money.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would not do this. . . .
    The only thing WORSE than beating up the Amputee
    is
    Getting your *ss handed to you by and Amputee

Rocket River

16. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

How does he win, beyond possibly damaging the other fighter's knees or something?

17. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Man, I hope his opponent isn't the Iron Sheik.

18. droxford

droxford Member

More importantly, he can be punched. I mean, yeah, I can see how he can do okay in a simple match, but he can't dodge a punch,.
    &nbsp;

19. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

He fits the status quo for Rockets PGs. Get it done, Morey. This guy could a tenacious defender assuming he can be deceptive when biting ankles.

20. Fatty FatBastard

I see this happening.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2G1f0DlO9A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2G1f0DlO9A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>