1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you want the Astros to Sign Giancarlo Stanton?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by theimpossibles1, Dec 8, 2017.

?

Would you want the Astros to sign Giancarlo Stanton?

1. Yes. NL and AL mvp on the same team

2. No. Gotta use our $$$ to lock up the current core.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nook

Nook Member

At this point who cares?

The Astros won the World Series against a great Dodgers team on the road. The Astros aren’t old either, they have a lot of room for internal improvement. This Astros team IS the best team in baseball right now and if they stay healthy they will be in a position to defend their crown.

The media can talk about Judge and Stanton and the Yankees all damn winter; but at the end of the day the Astros will be right there.

Yeah Judge and Stanton are a killer punch but I don’t think he magically makes them better than the Astros. Baseball is a strange long game, players get hurt and underperform (ask the Cubs) so anything can happen next year; but I don’t Astros fans should be in anyway intimidated by the Yankees.

Hey Now! likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO the Astros and Dodgers right now both have a better shot than the Yankees right now.

3. Marteen

Marteen Member

I still wouldn't have minded Stanton, because there are no guarantees you will keep everyone on the team, it's almost impossible. Basically, I wanted to take full advantage of the current window, but it's also a good thing that the contract is someone else's problem now.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I was merely speculating on what the media narrative might be. Dont know who will buy it or not. I do know its very hard for a team to repeat a ws series championship. Harder still if the key teams they are likely to face on a path to a future WS get better and we dont.

The winter isnt over, certainly.

#44 jim1961, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Nook likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Astros offense and rotation are both better than the Yankees. So are the Indians and Dodgers. I would have the Yankees 4th right now. They needed to improve, and they did, but its nothing that wasn't expected. Luhnow will stay the course with whatever his goal was before the trade, be it long term or maximizing this current core.

As for the media opinion.. I really don't give a f**k.

Nook likes this.
  6. jsingles

jsingles Member

This changes nothing. Correa will have better numbers than Stanton next year, nothing makes me think otherwise.

Altuve, Springer, Gonzalez, Bregman, Gurriel, Reddick, McCann etc or Judge, Frazier, Sanchez, Gregorious, Castro, Bird etc?

Honestly, does anyone think there is even a comparison here? Astros will again lead the league in runs scored by a comfortable margin. Our pitching will be better if the injuries don't hit everyone and their mother. Even with slight regression from guys like Peacock we should on paper give up less runs than the Yanks next year.

Better offense, better defense, better pitching, worse bull pen. Yanks hit lightning in a bottle last year with a collapsing Indians team in the ALDS. Judge will regress tremendously next year. Teams have him figured out, he'll again lead the league in SOs and I don't think he hits even 45 homers next year.

7. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Yankees need an MVP, we’ve got ours. Plus a few to come....glad we dodged that nuke...

8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

The Yankees starting rotation still sucks. I don't care how well they pitched in the playoffs.

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Aaron Judge 208 Ks. Stanton 163 Ks. Last year was also the first year Stanton finished over 1.000 OPS. He is a lifetime 0.268 hitter and strikes out 27.66% of plate appearances. I'll say it again, last season was the direct result of a juiced baseball. The Yankees will regret taking on this contract eventually.

10. jsingles

jsingles Member

I say they regret taking on that contract before the end of the 2019 season.

11. TheresTheDagger

12. theimpossibles1

But right now tho?

13. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

If it were 3 years yes, I would definitely agree to it. If its the his entire 10 year contract, no thank you. Plus what would you have to give up to get him anyways? I would have much rather gotten Ohtani but that pipe dream was not really realistic. If we could have kept the core of this team together I would definitely do it w/ Stanton opting out after 3 years

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.