1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you want the Astros to Sign Giancarlo Stanton?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by theimpossibles1, Dec 8, 2017.

?

Would you want the Astros to sign Giancarlo Stanton?

1. Yes. NL and AL mvp on the same team

2. No. Gotta use our $$$ to lock up the current core.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theimpossibles1

Vote and discuss if you wish.

2. HTM

HTM Member

No. I'm afraid the contract could easily turn into an albatross. I don't know of many 10 year contracts that end well. They can cripple a franchise.

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm picking a side.

#TeamStanton.

Worry about the "core four" when it's time to -- Stanton is better than half of them anyways.

Stanton + Crawford Boxes + Astros offense = Fiers 20 game winner.

I remember a time when a lot of people in here didn't want Verlander because of the contract... (trolling, yes I know different circumstances)

Tomstro likes this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

**** YES!!! Really a very stupid question.

5. PTX

PTX Member

If the price is right, why not...

(By price I mean trade, plus how much Marlins pay of salary), maybe get him to waive no trade clause, or opt in option.

They should explore options for sure

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  6. theimpossibles1

Do you want to lock up Altuve, Correa, Springer, Bregman, Keuchel...you know, the guys that just won us the World freaking Series? Because it's almost certainly one or the other.

I say when you have a squad that wins the ultimate prize, you don't blow it up.

#6 theimpossibles1, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  7. conquistador#11

let me play presidente's advocate here, but how does signing stanton affect not signing the core. You can extend Altuve after this upcoming season and by the time stanton's 3 year deal is up, you let him walk and focus on correa. You can afford springer and dallas. Crane big ballin' y'all. He gets peyton manning to invest in the team, sells peyton18%.

by signing stanton just pretend you decided to pay correa now. I don't see Mccann playing past another 3 seasons. Yuli will be soon coming off the books in three years. Verlander decides to have sex with kate in every city of the world so he retires in 2019 after the threepeat.

wait 10 years? I thought the talk was 3 years of stanton. no thank you.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

But you need to balance that with complacency -- we are the world series champions. That is amazing. But it took us seven games to get past the Yankees and Dodgers -- we weren't steamrolling through the playoffs. I think it would be a mistake to not always look at upgrading our roster.

Stanton is a better player than Springer or Bregman. But the kicker is... you don't have to trade either to get him. That's two guaranteed years of a Springer, Bregman, Altuve, Correa, Stanton 1-5. Seriously, Mike Fiers is winning double digit games with that lineup behind him.

Go for it. Go all-in. Win as many damn world series as you can. This is the window!

9. theimpossibles1

Certainly not saying we shouldn't upgrade when advantageous but that is a huge contract to take on with lots of impending re-signs in the next few years.

I voted no but I had to think long and hard about it.

waytookrzy079 and LongTimeFan like this.
  10. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Sign? No. Trade for. Absolutely, depending on the cost.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Stanton is only a three year rental, which would maximize the Astros chances of winning World Series with our current core.

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Thoughts: Alex Avila is the ideal backup, a left handed bat worthy of some DH’ing with respectable defensive metrics. Probably worth the cost of losing Fiers

13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’d still rather hold onto players from the last 2-3 years and fill in those holes with guys like Whitley, K. Tucker, Bukauskas, Matz.., etc when the Reddick’s, McCann’s, Verlander’s, etc come off the books and have a 10+ year window having the money to keep Altuve, Correa, Springer/Bregman, Keuchel/Morton, etc

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Any player from our current core that the Astros keep past their year 30 will be an over pay. Saying that the Astros need to hold their money so that can overpay latter does not make sense.

raining threes likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Considering Fiers is with the Tigers, that would be quite the feat,

16. HTM

HTM Member

Unless something goes wrong then he is a 7 year nightmare

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is pretty decent logic.

I honestly do think there are some here who aren't a fan of spending big on anybody. Carlos Lee PTSD and what not.

Presuming they're likely only going to be able to hang on to 1 or 2 MAX of the current core 4... regardless of Stanton... its not such a stretch to want them to optimize their chances with all of them now, especially since they don't have to lose any of them to get him.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Would be interesting to see what the Marlins might accept after Stanton denied Giants and Cardinals.

Beltran is retiring. You could trade Reddick for prospects to offset the rest of the costs of replacing him with Stanton. So now you’ve basically exchanged 16m of Beltran and 12m of Reddick for 25m of Stanton.

Go ahead and resign Altuve afterwards. Then each year sign the core one at a time while moving McCann, Marwin, Yuli, and Verlander out. Replace them with the young cheap guys like Fisher, Tucker, Whitley, Davis, White, Alvarez, Bukauskas, etc.

I think it can be done.

19. raining threes

This

Depends on how much you have to give up in the trade.

But, after thinking about it, if you think Correa will leave in FA (I do) you do the trade and maximize your window.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't know anything about baseball, but I saw this guy hit home runs. so, yes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.