1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would You Truly Stop Being a Fan If Morey Was Fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Oct 6, 2019.

?

Would You Stop Being a Fan?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I will chop it up as ignorance for him to tweet that in the open, he probably didn't think twice about it. The overreaction is absolutely disgusting, the NBA shouldn't be influenced this much by a foreign government period.

D-rock and clutchdabear like this.
  2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Oh I would disagree on this.

No doubt the Rockets has a lots of fans in China because of Yao, and then Lin and even the scrub like Zhou Qi.

However, after the Rockets, maybe there are some bandwagon fans for the Lakers and GSW but that’s about it,

I don’t think you will find more than a few hundred following the Kings or the Pelicans or the Jazz in China.

I truly believe at least 10+ teams will line up and seek for his service immediately.

clutchdabear likes this.
  3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I stand with Morey! I stand for freedom of speech! I also would never stop loving the Rockets. I will throw shade at any Tilman business I pass by however if Morey does get fired. I also wonder how this might affect James Harden's Adidas sales in China. The NBA and Tilman as an owner should stand by their staff.

malakas likes this.
  4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

It's not that other teams would fear a CCP backlash; it's that the NBA would, and would put pressure on teams to not exacerbate tensions with China, when the league is trying to broaden business opportunities there.

I don't think Morey gets fired on Fertitta's say so alone. I think the NBA pushes Fertitta to do it, if it happens.

malakas likes this.
  5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Well, it will depends on how many jack ass owners in the league will have the same value like Tilman. Because Silver is only a puppet, the other owners will still have the vote.

I just don’t have majority of the owners will go along with it.

6. Mr. Space City

Steve Kerr and Greg Popovich criticize the President and the Organization stands behind them.

I guess that's why they're championship organizations ;):p

7. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

Who’re crybabies now? The moment DM backtracked the tweet he knew he was wrong. You can speak whatever you want as fan not team manager. Whether DM truly supports HK or he is misunderstanding, he ****ed. We better believe statement is apologies otherwise it will get more serious.
    I can anticipate DM Will lose his job with nice behind door deal. Grow up, we’re talking about millions millions dollars here.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I won’t stop watching, but I will probably do as soft a boycott as possible: not attend any games in Houston or buy any merchandise. Daryl Morley is the reason why we’ve been able to assemble a world-class team for years. Once he and James Harden leave town, Tilman is going to turn this franchise into Knicks South. He’s chomping at the bit to challenge James Dolan for worst owner.

malakas likes this.
  9. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

huh? you can anticipate that how? and firing morey and hiring some buffoon like colangelo wouldn't affect the rockets' bottom line 3-5 years from now when they are constantly losing 60 games a season b/c of crappy management decisions? and do you think firing morey right now wouldn't affect the current players on the roster of whom he has great relationships with? (especially harden). the players have trust in morey and without that, i have a hard time seeing how it would not affect them at all during the season. and what about the rest of the data analytics staff that lives and dies for morey? do you think they'll continue to stay on? (doubtful). would mit sloan grads still be willing to follow their idol to work for the rockets or does that pipeline close once morey is gone? firing morey is basically saying that you're willing to destroy the rockets culture and identity. do you realize how difficult it is to create a successful identity and culture in any organization (not just sports). if tilman really does fire morey, he's screwing himself over potential billions of dollars down the road by turning a successful organization into a bottom dweller (you are grossly overestimating china $$$ and its ultimate influence on the bottom line). because for sports teams, winning games has a direct effect on the bottom line.
    get over yourself thinking china money is the end-all-be-all of every business (especially an American business at that).

on another note, china (moreso than any other country in the world) becomes so goddam sensitive when it comes to politics, and the only way they know how to react is by bullying whoever they think is the offender. a few years back, when south korea equipped their dmz bases with anti-missile defense systems (THAAD) to protect against NORTH KOREA (not china, mind you), the chinese govt took offense to it and asked for their citizens to boycott anything and everything South Korean. not only did chinese ppl boycott Korean products, they also destroyed Korean businesses in mainland China by looting and breaking into stuff. and most of you Chinese (not all, but the brainwashed majority who follow like lemmings) quit anything and everything Korean, even if you loved Korean products and entertainment... just because the gov't told you to do so. another example: malaysian airlines crash -- no one even knows the truth to the cause... and yet because of it and the chinese government's reaction to it... chinese people banned all malaysian products for a while. no other country in the world does this just to flex their muscles. not even trump's america.

For you Chinese fans out there.. please take a deep breath and just take a look at the situation for what it is, even if you have your own personal beliefs. Morey even admitted he made an honest mistake - we are all human and in this day and age of social media, it is easy for an honest mistake to blow over into a firestorm. and even though i want to side with morey on this whole hk issue... i have to admit that western news media outlets haven't been totally objective when it comes to reporting on the whole hk protests. there is a way to do an effective protest, and the current protesters turning to violence (no matter what the govt reaction towards it is) should never have happened and should've always remained peaceful - this would've made their message even more powerful. but when i see videos of protestors smashing windows, looting stores, cover themselves in masks wielding baseball bats attacking police officers who are just standing there until they too can no longer take it... the original intent of the protest becomes lost in all this senselessness. there really is a better way to go about this protest, and there is culpability on both sides to let it get this chaotic. i'm sure in hindsight, morey would probably think twice, assess all the different viewpoints, and would never have tweeted what he did in the first place. he wasn't intentionally trying to offend you. and if you're honest with yourself, you know you've made plenty of mistakes in your life as well that you wish you could've taken back. if you love the rockets and have always been a fan (for whatever reasons made you love the rockets to begin with), then stay on. don't listen to what your government tells you to do. it's your decision to make.

BleedsRocketRed and malakas like this.
  10. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

Why you guys think everyone disagree with you is being brainwashed? The fact you try to assume you know more than mine is brainwashed! I am talking about as GM of rockets DM is ****ed up. If his tweeter account is all about personal life, fine for me.

11. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

okay so u didn't read anything i wrote. bravo. or maybe your govt censored most of my post already. if so, then my bad

BleedsRocketRed and malakas like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've never seen as many accounts wth less than 50 posts showing out of the blue at once on this message board. Real Rocket fans huh.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  13. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

I was a fan before morey and ill be a fan after, no matter when it comes.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

I would stop. And I know this isn’t reactionary because although I grew up and currently live in the Houston area, I was not a Rockets fan and did not follow the team before Morey.

Morey brings a unique, exciting approach to both the game and the game within the game...constantly exploiting every strategic advantage he can. It makes for an exciting, wholistic experience as a fan.

If they bailed on Morey, I’d not only be ticked on a moral/philosophical level, but the product that drew me into the Rockets will have declined substantially. I’d be out. Would likely follow the Nuggets.

malakas likes this.
  15. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

OP you better stop licking Morey fat ass.

Rockets fans are never Morey fans!

16. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

morey created this current rockets culture and identity. taking him out of the equation would be disastrous and i would hope ferntits sees this.

it's like apple without steve jobs - no innovation, no identity. the whole culture of that company changed once steve jobs passed and tim cook took over. steve jobs scrutinized every single person in the company over product design and product planning -- always trying to create the next big innovative product. tim cook (having more background in the finance dept) only cares about sales revenue. and it really shows... in a not so good way.

morey created this current successful rockets identity from the ground up. hes the revolutionary who introduced analytics to the nba game and it's always the rockets that are on the cutting edge of modernizing basketball (which is why everyone hates us). if hes gone... then that culture - the players, the scouts, the management team that works with morey... it will all be gone very soon too. and i would hate to know when we'll ever get someone like morey again (might never happen in our lifetimes).

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. Raven

Raven Member

I would start following the Mavs assuming Cuban didn't kiss China's ass.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't stop being a fan, but I would certainly be much less excited to watch the Rockets.

19. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Meh **** the Chinese gov't