1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 13, 2016.

?

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

1. Yes

86 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No

486 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. basketballholic

Straight up deal. Would you do it?

2. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Isn't that a video game?

Edit: Ok I looked him up: No i wouldn't trade Capela for him - Capela already has the basis for good footwork, we don't need to trade one guy with potential for another

djperm likes this.
  3. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Isn't he supposed to be a late first round pick? Hell no.

djperm likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I would trade Terrence Jones for him. :cool:

5. RyanB

RyanB Member

????????????

Lawlruschang and T for 3 like this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I know you're low on Capela, but I doubt he's moved for anything less than a clear upgrade, as it sounds like he's thought of as the successor at the C position. Don't feel like they'd make a riskier move like that, though I do like the idea of Thon Maker on a flyer late in the first if we can move up to get him in different deal.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Would I do what for who??? :confused:

Lawlruschang likes this.
  8. theREALDEALkid

Does a Bear ***** in the Woods?

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Aren't these kinds of threads really just a thinly disguised way for the OP to let everyone know he REALLY likes a player (Thon Maker in this case)? :confused:

Lawlruschang and Louka like this.
  10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is one of those questions that the answer now could look silly three years down the line. But the answer is clearly no based on where Thon Maker is projected to go. It shouldn't cost you Clint Capela for a late first or early second round pick.

11. basketballholic

I'm lower than most of the posters here on Capela but I do feel more optimistic about his NBA future than I do Terrence for instance. I happen to believe at present that Capela should be developed as a super athletic, super long stretch 4 with a face up game. I like his defensive potential on the perimeter combined with his weakside defensive presence a whole lot more than his D when he gets compressed in the paint and at the rim. But it's fairly obvious to me that 2 seasons into his development that he's being keyed on as a 5. And I see nothing but mediocrity from him as a 5. I think his only chance to develop into a championship digester state is as a 4.

That being said, I do agree Maker is a risk and a project. So a Capela trade would have to precede a free agent center signing or another trade for a vet 5.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

What in this world is a thon? Who even makes thons these days?

13. basketballholic

So just how high of a pick do you think we can get for Capela? Do you think we can get a higher pick for Capela than Philly can get for Noel?

Part of my question here is based on my feeling that Maker is going to matriculate up to the top 20. I'm not buying DrafrExpress' projection on him.

14. malakas

malakas Member

No. I don't think Capela is that special but Maker has a low feel for the game, small hands, hasn't shown much improvement at one age where improvement is expected, and also doesn't seem to accept his role as a big but wants to be a wing.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Don't think Capela will ever develop into a stretch 4. Can't see him ever developing a jump shot/perimeter game. He's had moments where he's shown the ability to drive to the basket, but those have been sparse.

I agree that Capela likely will never be a top-level Center, but I think he can be quality, especially defensively if he gets stronger. As you said, his perimeter defending abilities have been impressive, particularly.

We'll see, though. I'm not as reluctant to trade Capela as most, but I do think Maker is riskier than you'd like for a trade like that. I feel like Capela can give you better value than that, or I'm totally fine keeping and developing him.

16. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

This guy has NO CORE. At 216lbs it will be 2 years if not 3 before he can help. Capela is almost ready to help at 240lbs and a good off-season he could get 10 more pounds of muscle. Hardens time is short here.

Thon looks like he could be a great project that we don't have time for at the moment.

17. alethios

alethios Member

There's enough reason listed here to vote no: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Thon-Maker-70462/

Clint has bulked up more and by now has a better feel for the game. Plus he has better hands than Maker.

Maker would be a project and may pan out in a couple of years. His only plus over Capela is FT shooting.

djperm likes this.
  18. Airdough

Airdough Member

Capela is the the only tradeable asset that exists on the roster. Thon could be great down the line but the Rockets are in win now mode without other pieces to upgrade the roster. Unless Capela is desired by a team that can help us fill a hole on the wings, he should stay put.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

right...it would cost more like KJ/Harrell or Pat Bev.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel that Capela's trade value is pretty low, but he should be packaged in a deal if he improves in the upcoming season.