1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you sign Kimbrel or Keuchel for 1 year 15mil?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Mar 8, 2019.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Strictly a DH and emergency catcher...limited options. I guess AL teams are generally happy with their DH situations right now.

2. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

LOL at TOP 30 in WAR..I would hope he cracked the Top 30 in the AL(cy-young 3 years removed, multiple GG's)...since your all about that WAR ...Mike Fiers was ahead of him....Just outside the Top 50 pitchers in the Majors....13.5 million last year=over paid...QO of 17.49 from Stros was to save face in the locker room...obviously I have different standards for my Astros then you do..he did not over value himself...the Astros hurt him by over paying...

LOL....TOP 30....not my 3rd starter in the playoffs...I bet your were cool sending out Morgan Ensberg year after year after 1 good season...Or sticking with Carlos Lee...

A 30 year old pitcher with decline in velocity and command...last year he also got alot more run support which if you watch baseball, you know getting leads can allow you to get in a rhythm and get the hitter chasing and trying to get something going...he also didn't have to face off very often against number 1's and 2's...

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep...he's absolute garbage.

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No desire to see Keuchel back as an Astro. There is literally zero use for him during the regular season and I’d have zero desire to waste 8 figures on an obvious luxury (an unnecessary one at that) who I don’t view as good enough to be my #3 in the playoffs. Hard pass.

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

You can LOL all you want, but all it does is expose your lies. Dallas Keuchel indeed was a top 30 (actually 26) pitcher last year, producing 3.3 fWAR. That is a fact, not somebody's opinion. As to your Fiers comment: Keuchel 3.3 fWAR, Fiers 1.4, Keuchel 2.6 bWAR, Fiers 0.9. So tell me, which WAR were you using to state that he was behing Fiers, outside the top 50. As to his pay, the Astros did not have to pay him 13.5 million (13.2 according to bref). They could have non-tendered him. The reason they did not is because 3.3 WAR for 13.5 million is an incredible under pay, at least according to the experts more knowledgable than me.
    Of course he is still unemployed because of his demands, and the draft compensation. Saying otherwise is just foolishness. As for the declining velocity, fangraphs says that is incorrect also.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2019...las-keuchel-pitching-trades-madison-bumgarner

7. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

He isn't even worth the draft compensation pick...how sad :(

8. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

FWIW, Fiers had 3.7 bWAR. .9 was his WAR after he got traded to Oak.

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Not like velocity actually matters for Keuchel, but looking at his numbers, it's all been fairly consistent in recent years and what if I told you he didn't even get huge run support. He was ranked 34th out of 56 qualifying pitchers in run support; 4th in Astros starters ahead of only Verlander. He also faced Paxton twice, Kluber twice, Severino twice, Bumgarner once, Ray once, and Manaea once. After that you got teams with terrible rotations (Rangers, Royals, etc) and guys that were pitching like their team's "number 1/2's" like Cahill twice, Skaggs once, and Heaney once, but I won't count them. Seems to me he got number 1's and 2's often but feel free to ignore the facts that go against your narrative.

Apparently he wanted 5 years 100 million, so yeah sounds to me like he over valued himself. Now the season started and there's no reason not to wait a few more weeks to save the pick.

10. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

You are correct, my error.

11. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Again, in my opinion he is garbage, he isn't good enough to be on this Astros team...I pray that he goes to the Yankees

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys are letting the troll bait you.

Buck Turgidson and The Hunted like this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, why is Keuchel garbage, but Bumgarner with his -0.1 WAR this year, and two injury impacted seasons in 2017 and 2018 and his probable higher cost this season NOT garbage?

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Hey @seeingredtx, this ain't the GARM, breh. Hate on Keuchel all you want, I don't care. Honestly, I respect your take until you go after individual posters for disagreeing with you.

We're all on the same side.

King1 and The Beard like this.
  15. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Younger, better stuff...early in the year on a bad team, actually pitching to live major league batters, can get a hit...brett got Morton better, got peacock better, Keuchel was the best he was going to be...Imagine what Brett could do with that Bum in San Fran...

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  16. astros123

astros123 Member

Wonder what Kimbrel is going for right now

17. HTown2017Champs

Not opposed to kicking the tires once the comp pick deadline passes.

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He ain't taking a job as a set up man, much less a 7th inning guy

19. Buck Turgidson

I particularly like the "can get a hit" part.

It's "Brent" Strom, btw.

Htown Stros likes this.
  20. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Thanks for reminding me that the pitching coach's name is Brent and not Brett...

I thought this forum liked it when we used incorrect names and spelling for our players and managment...

I'm sure Capella and Moree along with DJ Hinche would not approve...

I like that he can hit as well, that is a goal in the sport...

Hot take after hot take...