1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you sign Kimbrel or Keuchel for 1 year 15mil?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

After reading that article, he comes off as ignorant and appears he vastly overrates himself. The fact that Boras has told him he should take a couple of the deals he’s been offered speaks volumes.

I also love how he speaks about the Le’Veon Bell situation as if Bell “stood up for himself” and it was worth it...Bell cost himself millions doing what he did and ended up on the sorry Jets.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

30 Teams said no to Keuchel. Now he's trying to be some union hero. He's really being dumb in my opinion. He has 5-6 years to get his cash grab on. Get EVERY DOLLAR you can for playing baseball. Swallow your pride and take the best offer available. Nobody is upping their offers at this point. He's coming up on missing 25% of the season. Watch, he's going to sign for this year for around 13.5 million. Prorated, it will be barely more than the qualified offer he turned down, and he and Boras are going to say it was "equivalent" to a 19 million dollar one year deal to try and spin it. The truth his he cost himself millions of dollars.

At this point, I'm not against bringing Keuchel back. Whitley is getting pounded in AAA. Josh James has not earned a shot in the rotation. Astros probably won't bring up Corbin Martin before the super 2 deadline just like Whitley. Astros basically have their own 3 week window to negotiate with Keuchel since nobody is giving up a draft pick this close to the draft.

Plus,Taillon is down with an elbow issue and was a target for the Astros. The possible trade targets to upgrade the rotation are dwindling. You basically have Stroman, Robbie Ray, Matthew Boyd, and Bumgarner. I don't see the Astros getting Bumgarner because his name and playoff success is going to drive up his price for a rental. It will be a bidding war and that's not Luhnow's style. Stroman, Ray, and Boyd are under team control beyond this season. That means you will have to pay a heavy price prospect wise. Rodon who might have been a target has been told by one doctor he needs Tommy John surgery. Zach Wheeler, who I also viewed as a potential trade target since he is a rental, is struggling. I'm not sure I would take any of them over Keuchel for game 3 in the ALDS.

I'm still hoping Syndergaard becomes available.

Jake Tower likes this.
  3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Keuchel would be the ideal fit, don’t have to surrender any prospects. From there perhaps a middle infield reserve player or a catcher, but neither is urgent.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Draft pick cost is likely much more than that. At this point and maybe since the season started, waiting until after the draft is likely the smart move.

5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Makes sense ... pretending to be much wealthier than you are has long been a Dallas tradition.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s impossible to judge him without knowing exactly what offers he has turned down. But the reality for a pitcher over 30 is that each year is so valuable and the chance of injury or age related decline is so high that it’s hard to imagine he has made the right decision by waiting to sign. I find it hard to fault people for betting on themselves but from a numbers and probability perspective he is likely costing himself a lot of money.

Even though Keuchel seems like kind of a d******d I hope he has a successful second half and gets a decent long term deal next offseason.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Love it.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Le'Veon didn't really cost himself anything. By sitting out for 1 year, he extended his career by 1 year. For a RB it's all about mileage and how many hits you take, most RBs are done by 30. That lost year for Le'Veon was nothing.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'm pretty sure he is thinking Verlander money. He has Red Sox written all over him. Bagwell's old team is going to need an arm with 1 month left. Baseball is a kids game too bad his agent filter him with greed. This I why we should literally love Altuve. He sold him short.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Funny that Keuchel is complaining about the free agency system in baseball which is the one sport that is vastly slanted in the advantage of the players. Try complaining about unfair free agency systems to football players. It's the open market Keuchel. You are worth what people are willing to pay for you.

I have a feeling that he's a little upset he turned down the 1 year 18.9 million qualifying offer from the Astros and doesn't want to accept less than that out of embarrassment.

BleedsRocketRed and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The qualifying offer was 17.9 million. If he gets a 2 year deal he might not regret turning it down.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

How soon can football free agents reach free agency? Most baseball players take 10+ years to make it to free agency from time they are drafted. Having a salary cap with the revenue sharing sharing in the NFL is likely beneficial for all, but the truly elite players over MLB's system.

13. The Real Shady

Average career of nfl player is 3.3 years and they can become a free agent in 4 years.
    Average career of mlb player once called up is 5.6 years and they can become a free agent after 6 years.

Still mlb players get salary arbitration where they can make good money and not be stuck under a rookie deal. Keuchel made 13.2 million last season. Cole 13.5 this season.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FIFY

Football players are free and clear after 4 years, baseball players have to perform for 6-7 years before they even reach arbitration.

Why is the "after they're called up" part added, it's part of their professional career?

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Keuchel's tough problem is if he takes a 1 year deal, he then is only a year older looking for a multi-year deal. If he is holding out for $100M, he's just not being realistic.

If he's holding out for $50M, I think he has a good point. Problem is, teams have already spent their money. Waiting into the season has proven to be a failure for anyone, aside from Clemens, who was playing year to year.

16. The Real Shady

I guess due to not actually contributing to the mlb team. If years in the minors did count there would be a lot fewer players drafted out of high school, and mlb would start to rely more on college to develop talent.

Really though the free agency time period is needed because mlb has no salary cap and without the additional service time small market teams would have no chance. MLB contracts are by far and away higher than NFL players with the exception of QBs.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Respectfully disagree here. He lost $14.5M by not playing last year and he would have gotten the same deal from the Jets regardless if he had played.

Also, he reportedly turned down an offer from the Steelers that was 5 years for $70M that included $33M in guaranteed money prior to the holdout. He ended up getting less from the Jets per year and got $25M guaranteed...

And on top of all of that he gets to go play for the sorry Jets and his numbers will certainly decline. He had it good in Pittsburgh system wise and they were stacked with skill players and a HOF QB. He took a gamble that Pittsburgh would be worse without him and he lost that gamble...Conner produced similar results as Bell did.

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

#neversettle was last year's theme...

The Real Shady likes this.
  19. jsingles

jsingles Member

I'd like for the Astros to try and pick him up, I'd like to see one or both of McHugh/Peacock back in the pen. It's already nails and either or both of them would make our pen the best in baseball. Keuchel can eat innings, much more so than either of those two can, I hope that bridge isn't burned.

20. Major

Major Member

It's also about age. If Leveon Bell sat out the next 5 years, he won't have any extra mileage, but he certainly won't be worth nearly as much. He gave up one of his prime earning seasons hoping for a huge deal that not surprisingly didn't materialize.

That said, Dallas' situation is nothing like Bell because he's a free agent and has no obligations, theoretical or legitimate, to anyone but himself. If he thinks he's worth more than he is, so be it. Bell was under contract and chose to not honor it.