1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you sign Kimbrel or Keuchel for 1 year 15mil?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Mar 8, 2019.

1. plee

plee Member

150 million dollar contact has left the station and it's NOT coming back...

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I appreciate his contributions to the Astros. Fair enough.
    As to the other stuff you said- yeah- that’s on him. He wasn’t eligible to be FA for 3 years and that 5/90 offer was a risk free way to set up generational wealth with no risk in a fully guaranteed contract. Anyone who ignores risk in injury, performance drop or market correction is literally insane. His comps were not whatever some rando got in FA the year he got the offer bc... they were FA and he was 3 years away from FA.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I couldn’t possibly like this post more.

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No doubt on Correa. And it’s trending badly for him to have a Berkamn/Oswalt like career (as in- really good for a lot of years but shy of HOF). But he’s young, and if it clicks I think he has inner circle HOF talent.

5. Major

Major Member

FWIW, he already has generational wealth. It's also not like Keuchel made a bad bet on himself performance-wise - it's mostly just that MLB's front offices completely re-valued players over the last two years. It's something that's caught a lot of players by surprise. With his actual performance, he likely makes more money his way if MLB hadn't changed because he'd get a big age 30 contract vs being a free agent at 33. If he had maintained his elite status from 2014-2015, he makes a ton more.

This suggests any player should take any "generational wealth" contract extension ever offered, even if it's way below market value. Would Correa be crazy to turn down a $75MM/5-yr extension right now? What about $40MM/7-yrs? After all, he's not a FA for a couple of years and could lose a leg and never play again by then. or MLB could just decide to re-value players again and he might get less even as an elite free agent.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

How well they play has to do with how tolerant fans are of self importance, sure. But it doesn't have anything to do with whether they exude it in the first place or not.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m of the opinion that yes- you always take care of the worst case scenario and insure generational wealth. Like Bregman did. Or even the brave Acuna. Or Altuve with his prior deal. Or Singleton. Or the deal that got offered to Grossman that he turned down. Always. Always. Always. Mitigate your risk. Always. You only have one career and anything can happen. Don’t throw away a winning lotto ticket.

This goes double for pitchers who historically get ground up into dust or just lose their effectiveness way more than hitters.

But, if I’m an agent I am telling every single prospect like Longoria or the Chicago white Sox kid to always take 7/50, buy out the arbitration years and then go for the monstrous pay day at 27 or 28 or 29. Or extend again like trout did with a couple years left. Or like Altuve did. Or Verlander.

jim1961 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Hope to see you in the WS Keuchel and thank you for the great memories. Will always be a fan. Also big ups on not joining the Yankees! God that would have been so gross. Your razor burn I mean.

arkoe, BigM and HTown2017Champs like this.
  11. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I also am glad DK's not on the yanks.

Question though, since he signed after the draft does that mean we get a comp pick next year or none at all?

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

None at all

rfrocket likes this.
  13. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Thanks!
    (something told me that was going to be the answer)

14. BleedsRocketRed

Signed for one year, $13 million.

$13M for 4 months is roughly a $20M rate (edit: $21.35M per spotrac)

Should we have done (matched) the deal for 13 million?

#214 BleedsRocketRed, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019