1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worried about Eric Gordon's lackluster play? Don't be!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pr0wler, Mar 4, 2020.

1. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

The 4-11 against the Knicks wasn't great, and the 2-6 shooting performance against the Celtics before that wasn't awe inspiring either. Overall his shot hasn't looked that great recently.

However, we all have to realize that there is a lot of variance in 3-PT%, even in half a season of play. You need like 750+ attempts to really narrow down a guys true ability. Last season his 3PT% was hovering in the low 30's for 2/3 of the season, and then he caught on fire the last few months and just like that the numbers evened out.

Then of course to start the season, he didn't look super explosive with his knee pain (obviously he signs the contract first) and the first few weeks after the surgery he looked more like Fat Gordon than Splash Gordon. But you can see his body is getting back into form and he dropped that 50 ball a few weeks ago.

I'm totally confident the 3-point shooting will even out in the long run and he is easily our best scoring option outside of Russ and Harden. Before you know it, his efficiency and percentages will regress to the mean and we'll all be here thankful we have him on our team for the foreseeable future.

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i am more worried defensively. we just seem to be awful on both ends when he is in the game.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thinly-disguised "stay calm" thread

4. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Gordon sucks, when his shot his off, he needs to see the bench for other players. The Rockets have playable options besides him now.

bcast89 likes this.
  5. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Yup!

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't have an issue with EG missing some shots. I have an issue with him being completely useless, and a net negative when he's not hitting his shots. His defense has been abysmal, and he just seems so out of sync with the rest of the team. I'm sure it's just him getting back into playing shape, and getting into a rhythm, but the next month will be essential for him. Without him bombing away from the parking lot, and his ability to body up on the perimeter, the Rockets just don't have the same potency in their style.

Remlap, roslolian, 34to11 and 19 others like this.
  7. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i think he really needs to take it to the basket more instead of shooting 3ft behind the arc all the time. the extra space doesnt have to only be used by westbrook. if austin rivers can take advantage no reason ego cant also.

roslolian, 34to11, IvanLCPM and 6 others like this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He used to be one of my absolute favorite players on the team as recently as 2017-18. It sucks how much he has regressed in all aspects. I'm hoping it's the injury and I can't completely write him off because of THAT Jazz game.

9. macan

macan Member

EG is not a keeper. he has to go this summer

10. JW86

JW86 Member

I’m sorry but Gordon has fallen out of good graces with me. He’s nothing special anymore, plenty of players can hit long threes and are better at it. If he doesn’t come through in the playoffs, get rid of him for a proper big.

smp, ak99999 and lilbird20 like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. JackLordsHair66

He’s clearly not been himself all year, starting the year injured, then the surgery, then the rehab and then trying to get back into rotational shape, then getting reinsured every few games it seems, just hasn’t been working too well. He’s had a handful of games where he’s erupted, the Jazz game was clearly an outlier though. He’s played very well the past two seasons, but has been a marginal player at best this year and we need him badly to be the 3rd best player on this team as far as a scorer and it doesn’t appear that’s going to happen... unless he catches fire this last 6 weeks and steps up in the playoffs he’s probably a goner, which won’t break my heart tbh.

saleem and lilbird20 like this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Needs to be moved this off season.

14. BigBum

BigBum Member

trade him in July to save some money, then use 6 million MLE to sign a good player.

Sign undrafted players if needed.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was always going to be moved in the offseason.

topfive, D-rock and Mr Chuck Norris like this.
  16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Shouldn't we see how DC shoots?

17. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Jamal Crawford. I’d take him to replace Gordon’s role, minimal defense and all.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This will happen as his fitness improves.

DeBeards likes this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He went for 50 a little over a month ago. He’ll be fine...

20. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

You can't very well expect 5-11 or 3-6. It's nice when it happens, but 3-11 and 1-6 are statistically a little more likely (than 5-11 and 3-6).
    35% of 17 is 5.95. He hit 6. You are talking 3-pointers, aren't you?