1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World Cup Of Hockey

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Beavis Stiffler

2. Beavis Stiffler

If Canada wins, you can say that they are in the same level as USA basketball in terms of dominating their respective team sports.

Canada men's and women's hockey = USA men's and women's basketball

3. what

what Member

I don't know anything about hockey, but I'd say Russia is the bully on the block.

4. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

No way on Canada being so dominant and you are waaay off on Canada being equal to team USA in basket ball. Just about every single team in each group has an equal change of winning the thing. I'm pretty excited for this tournament.

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Love that it's on ESPN and I can hear the NHL on ESPN theme music again.

So what happens if Team USA or Team Canada advances to the finals to face Team North America? Who will fans root for?

I guess it was deemed better to put the rest of the North American and the rest of the European players in teams to compete rather than let Germany, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Austria, Latvia etc. field their own teams in the competition?

6. Beavis Stiffler

Tournament starts today with the first game between Team USA vs. Team Europe on ESPN2, 2:30 pm CT.

7. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

Nice weekend of hockey. North America is fun to watch and are great. I'm still going for my beloved Sweden though.

Russia has a lot of fire power when they want to play, but I don't see either North America or Sweden not advancing.

8. Beavis Stiffler

Two big games today - Sweden vs. Finland (3 pm CT) and USA vs. Canada (7 pm CT) both on ESPN.

It's a "must win or go home" for the USA tonight. I believe they have to win out these two games including their last game against the Czechs.

9. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

Welp our tournament is over.. What happened? We were able to compete with Canada in 2010 and 2014.. this team looks nowhere near as good.. or maybe Canada is that much better

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Tortorella.

11. Beavis Stiffler

1st Semifinal matchup

2nd Semifinal, Sweden vs. Team Europe, is Sunday afternoon on ESPN. Both semifinal winners will advance to play in a Best-of-3 series to determine the World Cup of Hockey Champions.

12. Beavis Stiffler

Game 2 is tonight on ESPN2. It's a longshot but would be something cool to see Europe win both Hockey's World Cup and Golf's Ryder Cup on the same week/weekend.