1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wolves acquire Jimmy Butler

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2017.

1. rockets13champs

Basically asking for a trade...

2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Eric Gordon for Jimmy Butler makes a ton of sense for Minnesota. No one is going to pay a premium for Jimmy when he will not commit for next year.

I actually don't know how I feel about Jimmy on this team. Something tells me it won't work, but whatever I'd roll the dice. Eric would be a tremendous fit with Minni.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Exactly.

whiskeyred likes this.
  5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Gordon and 2 future 1sts would be our best package. I mean hes a rental but I think we could still clearly get outbidded.

The optimistic me says if they are unprotected maybe it's more than anyone else is willing to offer.

The realistic me says we just dont have enough assets anymore.

The pessimistic me says no way will we get him.

luckyman76, ElPigto and whiskeyred like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Knicks should be all over this.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

btw another year that he's a lockeroom problem. But it doesn't bode well for KAT too that an established star can't put up with his attitude and wants to leave him so soon after just a season. Well he's still 22 but who knows how many years it will be when he can play again with such a good player.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not so sure i want to pay butler $35M+ per season on his next contract

Little Bit, hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

While I sort of understand the sentiment, at the end of the day I have to ask: Why not?

Harden, Paul, and Capela's combined salaries:
    2018-19: $81.5MM
    2019-20: $92.8MM
    2020-21: $99.7MM
    2021-22: $106.6MM

We're all in; the team simply isn't going to have cap flexibility moving forward as long as this core is kept together. If Tilman's willing to pay, and if there's a deal to be made, I think you have to make it.

BigggReddd likes this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some risk, but, for... a reat player, at a position of need...You do it if you can.

#211 Plowman, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Trade Wiggins to the Knicks for any package they like. That would put Butler on the spot lol.

In all honesty though, the only problem with that team is Thibs. He has no idea how to use players' strengths if those strengths are not defense. Wiggins and KAT could be motivated better by 20 other NBA coaches, even if they would still have poor attitudes. But this is objectively horrific motivational work, those 2 kids have forgotten what they CAN do and have been constantly reminded of what they can't - there should be a balance to those things.

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why knicks specifically, why not any other nba franchise?

Nook likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

14. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Even though this is not happening, I will entertain the math. It's an even better deal than that really. Think of the arbitrage. Anderson was at $20 and you didn't win a championship. That money is still on the books. The trade equivalent in whatever trade becomes $15M+luxury tax more to buy multiple championships that will drastically increase the value of the franchise and make Tilman far more money. If we make the trade this year it is virtually no difference this year. You would have done this for LBJ and you certainly would do it for a much younger player that is a much better fit. Him or Kawhi are literally the most perfect players in the NBA we could acquire to improve this roster and you would get one and probably not other headaches. You don't spend money on stars looking to save money. You pray for them. When you don't have a team that can win you start chopping.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Butler was never going to stay.

Butler can blame “organizational issues” but he was just looking for an excuse.

16. malakas

malakas Member

because there had been leaks that Butler and Irving talking and wanting to play together. Butler was talking about joining the Cavs back then and after Lebron's arrival, Kyrie was thinking about asking to join the Bulls.
    Then there are all those rumours about Kyrie + NY.
    So if the Knicks got now Bulter it's likely they could get Kyrie next summer.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, that line of thinking make sense.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Tucker, Gordon and our 1st for Butler and a 2nd. I would do it, though it would hurt our bench a LOT.

I think the Raptors would be stupid not to offer OG Annuoby for a guy who would dramatically increase Kawhi's chances of sticking around (and along with Lowry/Siakam form an excellent core). I do, however, think Thibs is dumb enough to prefer good vets over young pieces.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

wait so i haven't kept up with teh nba. what exactly is the problem?

he jimmy doesn't get along with kat? thibs? minny's long hot summer days?