1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Knicks, Rockets re-engage on Carmelo Anthony trade talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 10, 2017.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you mean how many rings

2. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I don't think they will bring back Smoov.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

J Smoov steps up to the free throw line for three attempts:

THUD

Ouch, watch yer face. OK, now for the second attempt:

CLANK

Good Lord. Look at the opposing bench. They're in tears, laughing so hard. OK, let's see if Smoov can make one of these:

WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFF...........

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Missing FTs is a given, but having ZERO points, no blocks and no rebounds would never happen with Smoov.

Smoov is also much more accomplished finishing, running floor and playmaking. Not even close.

5. Quinncy

Quinncy Member

--
    Well that's not true. He may not be the best at his position, and he may be on a bad contract, but Ryno is an NBA baller.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah that's why he isn't even in the league. josh smith has been done as a relevant contributor in the nba

7. RocketsFanBrian

Honestly, what do you think the status of this trade is and what's the hold up? When do you see it happening?

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  8. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Honestly, nobody knows. But everyone has sauces though.

J.R. likes this.
  9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I think it's pretty simple. The assets New York would acquire, be it straight up or in a three team trade involving Melo and Ryno, does not appeal to them at all. So they won't trade him. No one actually knows what'll happen, not even INSIDE SOURCES. New York could foolishly stop putting up a fight and acquire a poor package, Melo could expand his list of teams he's willing to go to where NY approves the trade also, he could end up staying in NY or the two sides could agree to a buyout. I think that much is pretty clear. I'm not very confident that New York agrees to trade with us, whatever the package is it is most likely too piss poor. But I have been told on this forum that I suck and it'll happen so don't give up hope.

10. eslate22

eslate22 Member

it will happen when it happens... until then it won't happen

11. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

It's a game of chicken. The Knicks are saying we're willing to bring him back and/or wait for an offer we like. The Rockets are saying we're willing to wait until the trade deadline if need be.

There's a lot of myths going around that are simply untrue. The whole idea that holding Melo will damage NY to the point of no stars wanting to go there is a big one. Porzongis just committed and Kyrie requested a trade there amidst all the Melo drama. They'll be fine.

Also, keeping Melo is better for them than taking on Ryno due to the extra year of salary on Ryno's contract. Especially since "Zen Melo" is unlikely to create drama.

The hold up is going to be around a third team willing to take Ryno and give up something palatable to NY. My fear is that if that team was out there, this deal would be done.

Quinncy likes this.
  12. basketballholic

Going to remember this one. Smoove is exactly the type of defender/finisher we need at the five and I wouldn't be surprised if he's back with us by the playoffs.

D-rock likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

ok

Pen15clubber likes this.
  14. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Things are fluid.
    • Phil got fired.
    • New GM.
    • Brandon Knight blow out his knee
    • Kyrie up and decided he didn't want to be a Cavs anymore
    • NYK deciding you can trade KP, if you take Noah too.
    • Blazers flopping(maybe) from being 3rd team, to wanting Melo.
    • RA's Contract.
    That's all I have. But all of those could change the negotiations.

#994 Bobsputin, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    DonKnock and Crashlanded19 like this.
  15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You make too much sense for this thread. Everything you said is why Melo coming to Houston probably won't happen. We really have so little assets that other teams want.
    Another thing thats happening is it doesn't seem like New York is looking to completely tank. If their mind frame was "lets just suck and get some lottery picks the next few years" then maybe Zhou Qi and future firsts can get us closer. They really should be going that route, but being its New York and they also having to worry about Porzingis being unhappy might be reason enough not to tank.

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

Josh Smith? We have devolved into talking about Josh Smith?

Man the off-season cannot end soon enough

Vivi, majicdonjuan, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think it's so much about Melo staying hurting NYK branding as the turnaround won't really start in earnest for them until Melo leaves.

Like Hardaway Jr - it will only help his game if Melo leaves. Like Porzingis - it will only help him develop into a leader if Melo leaves.

As you note theyre not going to hurt their future any more in a trade but they should definitely be highly motivated to start their training camp without him.

I definitely feel like if Melonwoild agree to decline his player option for next year the Knicks might be willing to buy him out for basically his salary this year. That gets him off the books after this year - which is one year early guaranteed and frees up cap space in future years - and gets them the restart this year.

Why would Melo agree to that? He needs some kind of success to change he narrative on his legacy. He'll still get paid the following year - in a new long term contract that even if it doesn't start at $28 million will certainly start at $20 and lock him into a long term contract a year early. So worst case give up $8 million gross (less taxes and tax difference less agent fees... so it's actually less) earned from 13-20 months from today (so present value even less) in exchange for a chance to make DEEP playoff runs, with your friends, and the ability to get locked into a long term contract much sooner. Also I'm not sure if the rules on this but maybe NYK can give Melo 100% of his buyout amount (which in my scenario is his full 17/18 salary) upfront. So another benefit to Melo.

Rockets get the chance to sign Melo and keep Ryno which is better for all sorts of reasons and probably have a better ability to trade Ryno next offseason as necessary.

Win win win. Though Melo gives up the "most".

Stranger things have happened but I don't see ANY good package out there for Melo. The reason Portlands name comes up so often is because the only teams that might have decent assets that they'd be willing to move for Melo are those 5-9 seed type teams from either conference. Top teams aren't gutting their squad for Melo - like the Rockets they want to add Melo as a missing piece. Crap teams aren't giving up anything of Value for him. Of those 5-9 seed type teams Portland makes the most sense. But whether it's Portland or the Hornets or any of those middling teams, Melo has no interest in going to those places, rightfully. The no trade clause rules all.

#997 JayZ750, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Hakeemtheking and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

He kinda looks like melo from far away. Headband and what not

photojoe likes this.
  19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The Knicks are just being greedy. Getting a good return on a disgruntled star is almost impossible, yet the knicks want everything and the world for the guy. If they continue this the well is eventually going to dry up and this trade is going to get harder and harder on all sides.
    What's interesting is also how few teams are willing to help us. If we were trying to acquire another player not named melo and we needed someone to take ryan anderson, they'd do it in a heartbeat. Even with his insane contract. They'd kiss Morey's feet. They rest of the West is afraid. Is there no Eastern conference team willing to help? Boston? Chicago? Hell Millwuakee? Detroit? I really am Surprised Stan Vangundy isn't begging us to send Ryan Anderson to him.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member