1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Zion Williamson be the GOAT?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theimpossibles1, Mar 20, 2019.

?

Could Zion eventually be the GOAT?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

WB is a guard, a guard who is expected to make a higher percentage of his 3s.

Any decent percentages made from 3 by a PF is gravy.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think he has potential to be a top 15 player but, of course, a lot of things have to break right for him. Improved jump shot, improved conditioning, the league evolving to magnify his strength(s) (e.g. like Steph Curry), etc. His ceiling is probably Barkley given his size and athleticism (Philly Barkley was nasty) which ain't bad at all.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Thanks but I'll continue to post where I choose. No need for the hostility, this is just a game.

4. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Sure, but he hasn't made anything to speak of in years. Did you see all the defenders sagging off him at the three point line in the playoffs and daring him to shoot? Nobody felt a need to cover him out there and he couldn't make them pay. When that happens, you no longer have a three that helps the offense in any meaningful way.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

GSW would be even more dangerous if he could make >35% of his shots consistently, thing is they won a ton without him doing that.

Will actually anticipate Looney developing a 3 pt shot and going with it, allowing Draymond to wreak more havoc inside the paint.

Also I think Willie Cauley Stein is underrated, he should be having a field day too with all those winners.

#205 daywalker02, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  6. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Looney has been flashing a nice midrange shot - would be huge for GS if he can stretch that beyond the arc.

And I agree about WCS, he might be a steal of a bargain pickup.

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Your parents must be proud to give birth to such a degenerate with an adolescent mind. Also don’t think I didn’t notice you trying to use astronomy terms to seem smart. Nice try buddy lol

8. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Zion is most def overweight.

He needs to drop down to 265-270 at most.

Pushing 290 is asking for serious back problems in 5 years with all the running and jumping he does.

The guy is big and strong but he’s not in great shape.

But that’s actually not going to be his problem in the NBA. I think he’s dedicated enough and he’s getting paid a lot of money, he’ll get his body right.

It’s his jumper.

I actually think he can become a decent 3 point shooter.

His problem is his release.

It’s slow and imo in order to be an elite outside player you have be able to put the ball on the floor and get off a outside jumper.

For all the good he does and he does a lot really good already. He’s terrible at this.

9. ROCKETS 4 THE WIN

ROCKETS 4 THE WIN New Member

Nah, NBA is alot different to College bball. Just because someone is good in college doesn't mean that will translate to NBA

10. LIT123

LIT123 Member
    Supporting Member

When I saw him first player I thought of was the late Darryl Dawkins aka Chocolate Thunder and Sir Slam-a-lot and many others he came up with.
    Straight from high school and an incredible athlete. A good player whose
    body broke down before 29, he didn't develop the skill to go with the talent.
    No matter how hard you work developing skill is not a given.Damn he was
    a tremendously naive but enjoyable personality, to many of us at least. The
    NBA suits got rid of that pure joy fast. I think Zion will fare better and maybe
    more modern training keep him going but I fear years of aau, long college
    season, and constant jumping will break him before 30 . load managing at 20?

11. dejamike

dejamike Member

First part of your comment reminds me of Stromile Swift.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Zion is overweight.

Saw his rookie photos and he looks a good 15-20 lbs heavier than when he was at duke.

Major major talent but pretty alarming that he’s that out of shape in less than 4 months.

Not a good sign when your GM publicly comes out in Vegas and shuts your down from Summer league and claims the focus is on getting Zion in shape for the nba season.

All this load management stuff is ridiculous for a 19 year old rookie.

If the pelicans are that worried about his weight they need to get him on a diet and mad cardio and have him drop down to 265.

If he doesn't watch out he’ll be 300 lbs before he’s 25.

roslolian likes this.
  13. the shark

the shark Member

The guy hasn't played ONE game and OP is asking if he might be the GOAT???

Good grief!!!!

roslolian likes this.
  14. ROCKETS 4 THE WIN

ROCKETS 4 THE WIN New Member

Because college basketball and the NBA are WAY different, so just because he played well in college does it mean it will translate to the NBA. Although he has the physical traits, I don't consider him much of a technical player and to be honest, he is only AMAZING at dunking, nothing else. However, no hate on the man it will be interesting to see how he develops. Also if anyone is interested there are this really cool James Harden products: https://www.redbubble.com/people/ntilahun/works/40032863-james-harden?asc=u&ref=recent-owner[/QUOTE]

roslolian likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think zion is already the goat today.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I have yet to see what the hype is about Zion. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect him to be a great NBA player, but nothing about him says best player in the league, much less GOAT discussion.

He's a great athlete with a good motor. He doesn't have elite passing skills, or dribbling skills, or shooting skills. People are assuming he's gonna develop all these great NBA skills he hasn't shown, which is weird. What is he gonna do in the halfcourt when his team needs points, that's the true mark of an NBA superstar.

I see Shawn Kemp, who was a great NBA player, but he wasn't even close to a transcendent player.

IvanLCPM, Jayzers_100 and roslolian like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Zion eats a goat for dinner every night -- FYI he's extremely obese.

roslolian likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Man, that's so beautiful. I'm not talking about the dunk, just the joy he brought those kids behind him.

heypartner and KingCheetah like this.
  20. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

He looks cute!

Jontro likes this.