1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Keuchel and McCullers return to form?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Daddy Long Legs, Aug 2, 2017.

?

How worried are you about our top 2 starters for the playoffs,

1. Very worried

59 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. Kinda worried

51 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. We good breh

16 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

These dudes were electric the first half of the season. Wondering if they can regain that form without needing a full offseason to recuperate.

2. Nook

Nook Member

It is more likely true than not true that both will be pitching reasonably well come the playoffs. The Astros can afford having one be injured or struggling during the regular season, both and they have real problems.

Part of why I wanted Grey or Quintana is that the Astros are not guaranteed having a healthy top of the rotation.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm concerned. I think Keuchel ends up fine, but the 2 starts coming off the DL are more like 2016 Keuchel which would really hurt.

I think LMJ turns it around, but the number of pitches he has thrown is concerning. I'm happier with him on the DL.

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Based off of what?

5. Nook

Nook Member

Based on history and my opinion.

Dallas and Lance both have pitched well this season.

What are the odds? I don't know, but I think it is more likely that they are healthy and rested by the post season.

kaleidosky likes this.
  6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

They both pitched well, sure. But they both have not pitched well since returning from injury. I think we all HOPE they return to form, as they are undeniably phenomenal pitchers when healthy. But I just don't think there is much evidence, outside of hope, that would indicate that these two pitchers will be able to heal and remain healthy through the playoffs.

7. Nook

Nook Member

You don't think there is a better than 50% chance they are healthy and pitching relatively well come the end of the year? I do, because they can be rested and only pitch to keep sharp. I think it is a genuine concern, don't get me wrong.

8. AUstrofan

AUstrofan Member

Keuchel actually showed improvement at times last night. His fastball was locating lower and he seemed to have a bit more control, but his particular history of injury means it could flare back up at any time. McCullers I'm more concerned with. He has just looked bad and when things start going south, he seems to dissolve. If he weren't considered our #2, I'd be less worried...but I don't have a lot of confidence he'll be on that level come playoff time.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

With the exception of the HR, it seems Keuchel pitched well last night. He got beat to death on soft grounders that one inning.

10. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

I was at the game last night (most frustrating game ive ever seen in person) and Keuchel actually pitched pretty well besides the homerun. I think it was the third inning, every hit except one was a playable soft grounder that the infield screwed up on.

McCullers I am definitely more worried about. He's had four bad starts in a row now. Hopefully the time on the DL will help..

11. Nigel Thornberry

I think Keuchel will be fine, I'm over McCullers. They guy can't stay healthy and is made of glass.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'm not that concerned with Keuchel. I think he showed enough last night for me to be optimistic that over the next 2 months he'll be back to early season form. As long as there isn't another flare up.

McCullers is more concerning since his injury seems more vague and he looked bad for the last month.

Right now I'm hoping for a healthy Keuchel and a continuation of Peacock domination. Morton or McHugh have the ability to pitch legitimately like a 3rd starter so maybe one of them steps up. If McCullers returns to form then the Astros can feel like their starting rotation didn't need a trade to keep up. A lot of big ifs though. The bullpen is a whole other story.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I'm hoping Lunhow realizes he messed up and tries to get Verlander after waivers.. Overpay if you have to, it's your fault we are in this predicament.

thaGREATwall likes this.
  14. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

69-38, 10.5 game lead over the next closest AL team. What a terrible predicament to be in.

MrBear1 likes this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Why would you post this?

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

If the only acceptable evidence is that they pitch at peak form now, then the question is "are they pitching great right now?" The answer to that is no.

I believe the club had every opportunity to leave them on the DL for longer if there was any remote concern--which is why Lance is back on there. And there has been no indication of this being remotely concerning regarding season-availability, but less playoff availability. Knowing/feeling like they are being conservative with medical stuff makes me believe these guys will be back to form later in the season. But no, they're not there yet

17. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Hopefully, LMC is seeing the same witch-back-doctor that McGrady went and saw in Waco several years ago that fixed him up. LMC is too young to be having continual lower back issues.

For some reason, I'm just not that worried about DK. I think it's obvious he's knocking rust off right now. If the neck issue doesn't pop back up, I can see him being back to his old self in 1 or 2 more starts. Glad it's still only early August, that's for sure.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Age has very little to do with having back problems. There are a myriad of reasons why that could be. I started having back issues at 16. The curvature of my spine leads to some lower back issues, especially when I was playing soccer on a daily basis. The more active and in shape I was, the more often I had to deal with my back.

I tend to agree on Keuchel, though. I think he's shaking off some rust after being off for 2 months. The rehab starts don't give you an real read on maor league level hitters and his endurance isn't likely where it should be. If he gets all the way through August with much of the same results, then I'm going to worry.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

And the Texans won the AFC South, I guess that means they're good to go? I want playoff wins dude.

Nigel Thornberry, Scottay and Tomstro like this.