1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn't Gerald Green much much better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Nov 15, 2018.

1. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

He can not make a shot to save his life this season. Other than his leaping ability, he has no skillsets to be a star.

2. juanm34

juanm34 Member

3. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

The same reason lots of players aren’t better. He has talent but lacks the kind of bball iq that’s needed to truly excel. Earlier in his career he also lacked the maturity. If he was more mature he probably wouldn’t have bounced around as much as he did. But good for him to carve out a niche for his hometown...

D-rock likes this.
  4. elvis

elvis Member

Gerald Green is a hometown hero. His run last season was amazing. Hopefully there is more this year.

slothy420, D-rock, Jake Tower and 3 others like this.
  5. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Some of y'all killing my man GG in this thread.

How quickly we forget that he is one of the only Rockets you can count on to show up and give everything he's got night in and night out .

slothy420, D-rock, Patience and 2 others like this.
  6. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

I mean he's been in the NBA over 8 or 9 years?? That's already way better than the average career.

Not everyone can be superstar level, that's an extreme rare form of eliteness.

slothy420, D-rock and Patience like this.
  7. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Shot selection is a big issue for him. At times he seems determined to take a three before he receives the pass. A lot of those times he is covered.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Career 35.9% from 3. It's not bad but I wouldn't call that "lights out."

He's got a great vertical, is pretty good at a few other things, but that's not nearly enough to be an All Star.

Still, he's had a long career doing what he loves and has made a lot of money. So he's a success by my measure, all star or not.

slothy420, BamBam, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

There's a reason he went through 100 different teams in like 5 leagues all around the world since high school and was sitting on the couch when we called him.

He's a good streaky shooter, he's okay at transition because he can jump, but he's not really good at it because he can't handle the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I love Green, I think he brings energy and morale, and often hit big shots when everyone's missing shots, but I dont think he's anymore than that.

10. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

He jacked up 10 shots in 14 mins :eek: thankfully most went in

saleem likes this.
  11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Too far.

jcf and Patience like this.
  12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Handles, court awareness, and defense.

As others have said he’s a great athlete who can get hot but he’s not consistent enough or have enough of the aforementioned to be even on the level of Ariza or Gordon.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He was hot enough over last year. I think over 40 games.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody needs him to be a star to be effective.

Patience and D-rock like this.
  15. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Reminds me of when Stromile Swift was here...

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is more consistent and effective than Swift.

Patience likes this.
  17. hakeemthagreat

Chase Budinger was a scrub with a poor bball IQ, but was adored here for "other" reasons. Gerald Green's better at basketball than he ever was

D-rock likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Poor court awareness, mediocre handles, streaky shooter and in general doesn't know when to shoot and when not to shoot.

Glad to have him on the Rockets, but he is a situational player at best. You rely on him to consistently contribute and that means you are definitely hurting for depth. He had some good moments for us last season. You will never question where his heart is.

If Green would have developed a consistent shot he could of been a pretty good off the ball player. I know a lot of people give him crap for his defense, but he usually is trying and does a decent job. I think his problem sometimes is that he gets lost on the switches, but when he is on his man, he generally does a good job staying in front of him. He does lose focus though and that's the reason you have to keep him situational. You play him when he has games like tonight, you limit his minutes when he is bricking everything.

The dude has a good heart and I really do hope he retires a Rocket. I love the fact that he loves Houston as much as many of us do.

D-rock, saleem and daywalker02 like this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Green plays far harder than Swift did. If Swift played with the effort level Green does he would have been a beast even with his equally low BBIQ.

D-rock likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Terrence Jones with a shot. Terrence had the size advantage. His tweener status and not so good BIQ hurt him.