1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Tyler White so fat?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CometsWin, May 9, 2019.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm sure many of us on this board are as fat as Tyler White but doesn't this guy have a professional responsibility to be in the best shape possible? Is the weight causing him to be late on the fastball, sapping his power? It's not like he's 35 and gaining weight, dude is 28 and should be in his physical prime. C'mon Tyler.

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Bet he’d be HELL in some late night softball beer league though.

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  3. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I kind of think he should just embrace it and go full Red Sox era Pablo Sandoval.

[​IMG]

Do it for the fans, Tyler.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

How pissed are people going to be if Tony Kemp gets sent packing instead of White when Alvarez comes up?

swoosh1014 likes this.
  5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

6. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

IDK he seems to have that warning track type power

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I loathe professional athletes that are in terrible shape. White was never an Adonis but I have no clue WTF happened this off-season.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Considering White and Kemp are both slumping (assuming they stay slumping), I expect people will be irrationally furious.

9. CinematicFusion

He got a personal chef who was exceptional at making cheese steaks, cupcakes, chicken fried steaks and double chocolate milkshakes.

Same chef has handed out amazing results to other players...
    [​IMG]

#9 CinematicFusion, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Smacktle, Jake Tower and DoitDickau like this.
  10. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

My hypothesis is that he consumed many more calories than he expended.

11. conquistador#11

He is very versatile and a great teammate tania! Down by 10 runs, he will pitch and save the bullpen giving them extra rest.
    First one in and last one out of the new state of the art cafeteria.

Smacktle and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I would get this for an athlete that signed a huge deal while being an Adonis (or was a high round pick) and then became fat, I don't understand it for a guy under club control that has never been much of an athlete. He's always been a guy that tried to work counts.

Granted, the past week or so, pitchers have started throwing him strikes again, and he's taking good strikes excessively (incredibly small sample). When he swings, he's making slightly less contact, but generally has been making good contact (though hasn't gotten a hold of one yet).

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Eats too much?

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

It is perplexing, when he seemingly had a breakout season last year and then comes back in worse shape. Did he figure he had the DH locked up and he could just cruise?

You would have thought the Astros Coaching and Training staffs would have been on his ass. I never played played baseball, but I guess conditioning expectations are much different then they are for football and basketball.

15. SuraGotMadHops

It's so frustrating and it comes off as lazy. When you're a young player with still lots to prove you better get your ****** in shape and come into the season in top physical form. You are a professional athlete, right?

16. vince

vince Member

You’d figure that if he was in better shape he could show better production. Though that isn’t always going to be the case. But statistically it does translate to better results.

It just leave you scratching your head! Bregman is turning into an MVP in front of our very eyes. And Bregman works out like a madman. Altuve looks like a body builder, he’s 5’6” and weighs about 170 lbs of pure muscle. Springer, Brantley, Correa all look extremely fit and strong.

But, I guess White knows his body better than the rest of us. Could be a thyroid problem or other health reasons, because it is perplexing how an guy playing pro ball, doesn’t get in the type of shape the sport demands.

17. HTM

HTM Member

Man, I think I got roasted for calling him fat last year... now it's cool... smh...

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I saw video of him working out in the offseason. It was all heavy lifting. He was probably eating a ton and lifting heavy trying to improve his power. Now he's a land whale with warning track power.

bobloblaw likes this.
  19. AstrosRockets1818

I heard he tried to eat Altuve

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tyler is fatter now.

Smacktle, sammy and seemoreroyals like this.