1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why don't Facebook or Reddit or Twitter actually do something about racist ass clowns?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Aug 13, 2017.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Dont know about all you guys, but I'm kind of confused why our internet overlords let this happen?

Obviously - expecting federal authorities to actually provide for the common defense is too much...but Zuck and Sandberg and Sergey and whatever VC flack who runs Reddit.... you just gonna sit there and let this **** happen?

There is no moral first amendment defense to profiteering off of white supremacists. They have both the tools and the power to do something about it and yet....they
    don't .

#1 SamFisher, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    KingCheetah likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Racist BS gets posted here the D&D. Should Clutch do more? Or be held accountable?

Facebook et al can try manage this. I just don't know how effective they can be. The status quo might remain the status quo.

People have a right to free speech and free association, right? There are limits therein, but determining such is quite subjective. Facebook et al might not want the legal exposure refereeing this **** storm.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

After the racist ass clowns are silenced, what's the next category of ass clowns they should go after? 1st amendment doesn't apply, so no reason to just stop there.

Nook likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, authoritarian style actions only lead to more authoritarian style actions. Smart people try to avoid them whenever necessary.

5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Are you serious? They're always shutting down anything that isn't progressive on a daily basis.

6. SamFisher

I have faith that were this forum to become a cesspool of the modern Klan, the operators of it should shut the site down.

But anyway, as for the "it's too hard!" That doesn't fly because it's obviously absurd on an objective level...Facebook et al can use market power to vanquish powerful billuom dollar backed competitors....but cant use it against a bumch of random racist shitheads living with their parents?

That's a ridiculous statement. And....see Airbnb if you don't believe this is possible.
    next up - the Incel army who posts garbage about how men really are smarter than women...because SCIENCE

The first amendment actually doesn't apply. I know you said this sarcastically...but it's true.

Facebook is not a state actor. Nor is Reddit not Airbnb. The Tos is their constitution and bill of rights.

You're slipping, durv.

The red pill was not good for you.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He didn't say it sarcastically.

SamFisher's stalinist instincts showing.

Nook, Duncan McDonuts and Cohete Rojo like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sam will usher in a new Reich which will weed out the undesirables.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

There's good reason to stop people's free association as Nazis and the KKK. They're killers and terrorist organizations. They should be infiltrated and thrown in jail. The FBI did it to civil rights organizations. What's the difference here? I can't quite put my finger on it.

Confederates and Nazis should have no rights in this country. They're traitors and terrorists, no different from ISIS or Al-Qaeda.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Who are you going to be outraged about if they silenced everything you didn't like

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I do believe the racists Asshats are suing Airbnb.

I agree with you general sentiment. Racists should have a limited public forum. The mechanics of how to make that happen are unclear.

I did see that there is twitter movement to identify all of the racist protestors from their photos on twitter. Maybe twitter can become a double edge sword of sorts?

12. durvasa

Airbnb TOS prohibited activities:

"discriminate against or harass anyone on the basis of race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age or sexual orientation, or otherwise engage in any abusive or disruptive behavior;"

How would you adapt this for Facebook/Reddit/Twitter?

13. SamFisher

Ctrl c

Ctrl v

14. durvasa

Isn't it rather vague how it would apply to social media posts/activity? What does "discrimination" mean in that context? If I reject friend requests from some groups more than other groups, is that discrimination? If I express a view that is against affirmative action or in support for voter ID, is that discrimination?

Harassment is more understandable, but also should be clearly defined IMO.

15. SamFisher

Hard things are hard.

Easy things are easy.

With nearly unlimited resources, trying... just trying....to conquer them is not all that hard.

See Airbnb.

They tried.

Good try guys!

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You can report any comment on all of those websites I believe. I'm guessing most comments aren't reported enough because 1 nobody really cares about dumb people in comment sections and 2 there's too many people to report.

I personally wouldn't like the internet censored, it's freedom of speech, nobody has to listen or care if they don't want to, reporting/blocking is available on every major media site/app anyways.

DonnyMost and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. SamFisher

It's not censorship to not let somebody fly a ****ing nazi flag inside your place of business.

It's called decency.

It's possible to be decent even in this age.

And to be indecent....censoring ****ing Nazis is what life is all about.

That's why we exist.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Absolutely, that being said the whole point of social media websites is to let people roam. So while it's a business, it's sole purpose and intent is to let people express themselves. They are mini blogs, online notebooks for people to express/write their ideas, feelings and whatever the hell else they want.

I can assure you that personally, i'm as disappointed in others choices of hate as any. That being said, I've grown up in the era of social media and understand how it works, who's on it, and how to avoid it, it's why I only have a facebook that I have never once posted on, it's why I don't read comment sections, It's why I don't have nor participate in snapchat/Twitter/Instagram even though it seems 90% of the people in my age group who come from similar upbringings do. I personally find it all to be mostly time waisting nonsense for (especially the ones who take it serious and go as far to make frequently political post) mostly pathetic people.

I don't like any of it, and I avoid all of it in my life. Just like I'm not going to get angry about whatever someone writes in their diary at home, I'm not going to upset my self over online comments, because it's the same thing. I disagree with them, I think they're pathetic but there's nothing I can, or should be allowed to do to forcefully stop them.

What you should focus on doing with you're time/effort, is educating. It's the most effective way to stop or reverse hate, racism and all other evils. Forceful censorship will do little to nothing for the ultimate goal, which is to stop hate.

19. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Same reason why (sane) Republicans aren't getting rid of filibuster.

Don't become one of the insane ones.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People have a right to be racist. And we have a right to condemn them. But outside the workplace, they are free to be sexist racist homophobic idiots, Sam.

iconoclastic likes this.