1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do lunch pail Evangelical Christians have lower moral standards for the Presidency?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

People can filter it through their own moral/ethics, if it can remain consistently their own and not be influenced by the current public debate on morals. To remain consistent, you would want to do that. I understand that most probably aren't able to since our morals/ethics can easily be influenced by external factors. But I think the bigger factor on how someone answers these questions are based on their values and because the "left" and "right" do have different values, I think the idea that both side would answers these the same way given the same or similar circumstances are wrong.

Clinton's moral leadership opinion dived by 32-point after the Lewinsky scandal... by the DEM. A majority of the DEM view him as "total weak" on moral leadership (52%) after the scandal. The DEM at the time probably project that type of opinion toward others, such as the REP but they have underestimated how much the REP would stay inline with their leader. This make some sense since conservative tend to value deference to authority more than liberal.

The idea that the liberal would react in a similar way to a "left" version of Trump is a projection of their own values to the liberal. They fail to realize the differences in value just as the liberal usually fail to see the same. That they have in common. The left would reject a "left" version of Trump much more than the "right" has rejected him (close to 80% view him as a "total strong" moral leader).

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Simple answer, Conservatives tend to be more hypocritical than Liberals.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The left just doesn't chose their candidates based on how they trigger the opponents. That's not how they operate. The left are often policy idealists. They have grand ideas for healthcare and education. They couldn't give a **** about how they "trigger the wingnuts" like the right loves voting for people "triggering the libtards". They voted in the most boring candidate in Hillary Clinton. The left hardly worships her like the right worships Donald.

It's is a clear obvious case of projection. Many people would say that Obama had a cult of personality. However, regardless of his policy advances or the lack there of during his administration, people genuinely liked Obama as a human. It was much easier liking someone like Obama hence why so many in the country had an infatuation with him. Outside of political debate, Obama is as much of a saint you can find in the politician class. Zero personal scandals, percieved as a great father and husband etc. I guess he smoked weed during college but only a few would knock his character based on smoking pot.

4. Amiga

Supporting Member

p.s. Trigger warning :) this is of course all my personal experience and observations

Triggering the other group is also part of a value system - my team beating the heck out of your team. It re-enforces the team, which is meaningful to the right, but not so much to the left. This is another difference that people project toward each other. The right "fall in line" within their team as you said, but the left doesn't care as much about having a defined team. It's a big advantage to the right, as they can stay focus and on message while the left is less focused and is easier to defeat in term of messaging and direction. I often see the folks here complaining of a left mob, but in reality it's mostly projection of their own tendencies.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Didn't read the whole thread but the answer is "abortion". If you think abortion is baby murder, you'd support Simple Jack if that was the political route to stop it. And they did.

FranchiseBlade and mdrowe00 like this.
  6. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

[​IMG]

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. Amiga

Supporting Member

I think we are witnessing the beginning of a new religion. Or cult.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why people do not use rational thoughts is beyond me.

10. fchowd0311

Cult and it's formed for a while. It turns into a religion when there are multiple generations and people being born into worshiping the Donald.

Hence why Reaganism is a religion now. Trumpism is a cult now.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Believing in god doesn’t mean anything, it certainly doesn’t give one some moral superiority except in their own minds.

12. conquistador#11

It could be Falwell loves playing those american drinking games, you know which ones I'm talking about. It could be Falwell just loved watching. We shouldn't judge. I mean, Who amongst us has never played the devil's triangle.
    It is, however, somewhat comical that those that point the fingers at others are usually full of it.

KingCheetah and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. Major

Major Member

It would only change if an *unethical or immoral* Dem was in the White House, though. If, say, Obama is in the White House, there would be no reason for Dems to say they are OK with an immoral President.

This poll doesn't tell us anything about who's really OK with unethical Presidents, but it DOES tell us that evangelicals and Trump voters do believe that Trump is immoral/unethical.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It doesn't actually do that and I disagree respectfully. I think that last part is making a leap. But I agree about the first part in regard to Obama. They didn't perceive him as unethical even though maybe they would if they knew more about him. I find that most Dems are unaware of things about him because news outlets gave Obama a pass on a ton of things though and would have seen more if there was a more critical angle ever day. Even Fox was pretty light in comparison to the way everyone Trump bashes. Trump on the other hand can't fart without getting a CNN camera up his ass.

And for pointing this out, I will be labeled a Trump supporter. LOL but the bad coverage aspect is so ******* true. Anyway, that's my two cents.

15. fchowd0311

You're labeled a Trump supporter because you think Kenyain Muslim terrorists sympathizer Obama was treated better on Fox News than Donald "our most courageous leader" Trump and at this point I'm just going to have to assume you get off on people mischaracterizing you as a Trump supporter on the D&D.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I am a Tulsi Gabbard supporter but she's probably not getting elected.

Also you said it... you should have said secret Muslim. Which is what a lot of Muslims I know seem to think actually.

17. fchowd0311

I don't think you know a lot of Muslims.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Well, that just goes to show how ignorant you are.

Please, enlighten me as to why you think that?

19. fchowd0311

Where do you experience having a large sample size of Muslims believing Obama is a Muslim? Coming from a Muslim family, knowing the Houston Muslim community for a large portion of my life, I've not heard of one Muslim who believes this.

The fact that you ran into a random sample of Muslims who do seems low in probability and too convenient in fitting your narrative.

Do you know many Muslims in Southwest Houston? Fort Bend County and Sugar Land more specificly?

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm married to one, and my family is largely Muslim. Also I'm writing to you from the middle east where I live...

Also I didn't say I think Obama is Muslim. I am telling you what family and friends here say. Maybe it's wishful thinking.