1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do college coaches get paid millions?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by HardenMvp, Apr 10, 2017.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just answer the question. Are you saying universities should bid for college athletes in a free market?

2. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

Yes.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This would create an unmanageable free for all that would destroy college sports (not just football and basketball) as we know it.

Some people want that.

What exists isn't fair but creating a workable system to pay players in revenue generating sports is quite complicated.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The issue you are bringing up is a good one but your solution is stupid.

First, players should be allowed to monetize their image and name with sponsorships but it would need to be regulated in a way to keep schools and boosters away from it. That should start with bringing back a NCAA football and basketball game and giving the players a cut like the NFL and NBA players get in their games.

They should take a percentage from all TV deals and put it into a pool for college athletes and it should be distributed equally. I think there is a question to if that should only include Basketball and Football players since they are the only sports that make money, all divisions or just D1 etc.

They should take a percentage of all merchandise sales from all schools and distribute some of that revenue as well.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I wouldn't say student athlete salaries are fixed at zero. They can be given full scholarships, which can be worth tens of thousands of dollars per year. If anything, most student athletes are vastly overpaid (basically those that play every sport besides football and basketball).

6. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Coaches get paid a lot when they can generate income. I think Mack Brown is a great example. He was paid an often derided $4mil. But he filled a stadium that generated $8mil door per game. Under his tenure they ha to expand the stadium because demand for seating was so high. Much less TV contracts, longhorn network, nike, parking, concessions. etc. Bragging rights and enrollment are in there somewhere. The football program pays for all other sports at UT and returns some money to the university itself. UT is on of the rare schools to do that, but Brown's salary was a drop in the bucket compared to what he generated.

To me it was funny when fans complained about wins and losses. UT has always been about the money.

7. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

This dudes thread is ****ing terrible.

These kids also get a free education.
    How many people do you know with student loans? Not any ex college football players.

We should just cancel college football all together you dumb ****

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It seemed like an impulsive thread start without much thought put into the issue at all. Before much discussion on the coaches, he pivoted to paying players and his fix there was wildly impractical.

I see your point about the student debt but other kids are still allowed to have jobs or pursue any financial opportunities they want even if they have a scholarship. That's what really stands out to me. I think that should be laxed a lot however you would have to heavily monitor any possible promises to potential recruits about being promised any kind of revenue stream before they commit to the school.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

AFCA, they're both unionized and individually represented, so they can leverage a system-wide work stoppage and more closely tie their value to the whole program's revenue than athletes, who are a fixed cost. What high school coaches get stipend pay? They all train in grad assistant programs, and end up with masters degrees so superintendents can justify giving them a management role and paying them six figures.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What do you mean 'stipend' pay? High school coaches in Texas tend to be the highest paid high school employees.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think its that simple. Why don't I get paid as a non-athlete student that attends a university that makes the entirety of the university possible in the first place? If they (players) want to get paid, that's fine... but they should disassociate it with the university as much as possible. make it basically a minor league... But that wouldn't work, since people wouldn't care, just like they don't really care about minor leagues in any sports in America. Clearly the association with the university, which exists as a place of higher learning matters. A non-scholarship in-state UT student is coming out of pocket $20k+ annually. Does that money go to the sports programs? No, I get that, especially in UT's case, the athletics department is a net source of revenue. But the athletics department exists because of the university existing.

I think there's a thought that since football is such a brutal sport in particular its even more unfair to those players. While I personally wouldn't care that much as I love sports and would be fine with the athletes getting paid or not getting paid, I don't think that's fair across the board.

None of the above means I'm happy with the current system, but I don't think its that simple either.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Coaches are the highest paid employees in alot of schools. . .this includes the principal

Rocket River

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That education is anything but free
    they is like saying McDonalds offers their employees free training

In college I had alot more freedom than Athletes
    I could actually GET A JOB . . . IMO the moment you prevent them from getting jobs . . . you take ownership of paying them
    They cannot miss practices and party all night and all the bullsh!t alot of students too
    They are truly employees on and off the clock

Rocket River

14. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

How many dollars do they pay for tuition when on a full scholarship? Zero?
    Free room/board? Zero $.
    Free good? Zero $

Shut the **** up. These guys are heros and stars at their respected school. Your argument is terrible. Like usual

15. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Lol employees? They are choosing to play football at school for free. An 8 year old game that they get to play for fun and get free school out of it.

What the **** am I missing?

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Until they crippled for life and kicked out of college
    Your argument is ignorant . .. as per normal

Rocket River

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You do realize a huge chunk of these athletes wouldn't even be in college without a scholarship, right?
    Would these guys be better off without a football scholarship and not go to college at all?

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I was as randomly surfing ESPN2 and watched 30 for 30: One and Not Done on John Calipari who's driving around in a Mercedes-Benz on the way to his private jet to catch a flight to recruit players.

Meanwhile, he's talking about asking players why they do it, and says 98% of the players respond that they want to financially take care of their mother. Calipari then goes onto say he also came from dirt and that's why players buy into his pitch. Pretty surreal watching a millionaire compare himself to the poor kids he recruits and profits from.

19. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

The dude is a ****ing idiot

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Cal makes me want to vomit.