1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would be the better fit for the last roster spot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sanjaylucknow, Oct 28, 2007.

?

Who would be the best option for the last roster spot?

1. Juwan Howard

51 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. Steve Novak

32 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Justin Reed

14 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. None of them (Mention your option)

33 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. Sanjaylucknow

Sanjaylucknow Contributing Member

Juwan Howard or Novak or Reed or someone else?

2. lpbman

lpbman Member

If Yao, Mutombo, Scola, or Hayes gets hurt, I'd rather Juwan.... If we're talking someone to get garbage minutes and last second prayer situations, I'll take Novak.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Mike Harris. :D

I wouldn't mind having Juwan back, actually, with Novak getting cut. He'll be a 12th man, but he's insurance if one of our bigs gets injured.

4. NothingButNet

NothingButNet Member

I want Mike Harris back, period.

5. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Getting either Harris or Juwon back
    would keep with our new theme of getting rid of players and then taking them back again.

James,
    Francis,
    Harris or Juwon (take your pick)

6. Barkley

Barkley Member

No way, Juwan Howard

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I can't believe so many people want Howard back...it's time for a fresh start without the guy, he's bad luck.

8. Barkley

Barkley Member

Agree but if you had a choice between Howard Reed and Novak who would you choose. We need a little size, especially at PF.

9. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

BAD LUCK?????????????

Call me atheist, but this is basketball and curses only go so far as affecting personal psyche of the player. Juwon had too many minutes in the old system, and wore down. He can hit the 15 foot jump shot and hustles for boards. He is far better suited for his veteran bench role this year than last year when we actually had to count on him to score (unbearable).

I would welcome JHO back, over anybody except novak.

10. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I would welcome JHO back, over anybody except novak.[/QUOTE]

i meant, i would cut anybody to make room for JHO except novak because I am just one of those guys who thinks Novak will erupt one day. Don't let another Boki get away, is all I can think about.

11. matty101

matty101 Member

JHO is actually needed very much on this team. His locker room presence and overall nature is what this team lacks. The only thing he doesnt have that we need is a winning background.

So....

I say 'other' and agree that Robert Horry needs to be brought back :D

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Novak. This is for position no. 15 on the roster, not for no. 9. We don't need Howard, adding him would just add a risk of taking minutes away which are better used by Scola and Hayes.

13. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

keep only 14

14. eman

eman Contributing Member

Mike Harris.

15. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Juwan who?

16. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Yeah, God forbid us losing a player who can maybe score 9 ppg someday and give twice as much up. Who cares?

I'm not saying that we should cut Novak and sign Juwan. I'm just still bitter about us cutting Harris instead of him.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

For both financial and basketball reasons, I would keep Justin Reed. If the Rockets cut him, it will cost them over $6M over the next two years ($3M this season and ANOTHER $3M next season, plus lost revenue sharing by going over the luxury tax threshhold), whereas cutting Novak would cost the team only about $1.2M by comparison.

Reed is capable of playing either forward spot, is a MUCH better defender than Novak and can hit the mid-range jumper. If Hayes or Scola goes down, he is capable of playing some minutes at PF. His limited action in the preseason was more due to a sprained ankle he suffered in practice than because he is a "cut waiting to happen".

If the team cuts him, then they must REALLY believe in Novak. Reed would be a more costly cut than Butler; and the team's unwillingness to include Reed with the JLIII and Butler cuts either says (a) the team isn't willing to pay luxury tax on Reed's salary next season, (b) a trade is in the works or (c) the Rockets might actually like Reed as a player.

While I love Juwan, there just isn't any room for him. If a 3-for-1 trade is made and a roster spot opens up, then by all means pick him up. He was a great locker room presence and team leader last season, so he could be of value to the Rockets even if he doesn't play. Still, there are a lot of dollars tied up on guys that may still get cut. Just fewer dollars invested in Novak than in Reed.

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Mike Harris. he has 'game' and heart!! :p
    He is one who could be brought in as an injury replacement without loosing much. The others are all inferior players. :p

19. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I don't disagree, but we've got a REAL Mike Harris bandwagon going here. Is he going to be this year's VSpan (well, VSpan with talent)?

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Mike Harris over Novak all day long.