1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is going to show up with a killer mentality on offense and execute in the playoffs for us?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BallSoHarden, Apr 10, 2018.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

PJ has shown signs of being someone who is going to be an enforcer on defense for us, and so has CP. However, this team/system on offense seems pretty unselfish and that can come across as soft. Harden obviously has his abilities, and they involve smooth step back 3s and drawing fouls, but I can see him getting frustrated when teams throw things at him that he hasn't seen. Clint really doesn't control his ability to be a beast offensively, it really is up to how teams play the paint and if they allow room for lobs. NeNe was kind of that guy for us last year until he was injured, and this year he's declined so he won't be the guy again. We see guys like PJ, Ariza, and Ryan hesitate and pass off on wide open 3s, I can see them doing this in the playoffs, they aren't killers. Ryan has to take two weeks off after each dunk attempt. Blame it on the system, blame it on having too many options, but we need someone to step up and be a clear and consistent threat.

It really has to be someone else if the team game plans against Harden works. I would say Gerald Green will have the killer mentality, but won't be able to execute at the level to carry us to a championship. My vote would be Eric Gordon. He has the ability to drive in with playoff level contact if the 3 is defended well somehow. Eric Gordon at the beginning of this season had extra spring in his step and had some plays that were nasty. Eric Gordon turning into the Hulk wins a championship, not being the passive player that complains to the refs. We need to see Smash Gordon just as much as Splash Gordon. I hope he puts it all on the line this post-season since he will be given the minutes to and has the skills to do so. EG is the real key to a championship.

#1 BallSoHarden, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    jevjnd likes this.
  2. kevtse

kevtse Member

We really need some role players to step up. I think it will be EG and Tucker.

To be honest I really have not much faith in playoffs Harden.

Jontro likes this.
  3. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Unselfish offense comes off as soft? Unselfish, yet we run more iso-ball than any team in the NBA? What are you even talking about...

The team is going to do what it always does, and that is score a ton. Harden and Cp3 will do what they have done all season, and will be supported by the array of weapons we have around them. I also suspect, obviously, that our defensive intensity is going to get throttled the hell up. This team can clamp down defensively when they want to, and it's really beautiful to watch when it does happen. Personally, I cannot wait to see this team playing for something that everyone involved wants so badly. Something which they all have been preparing tirelessly for: playoff success.

#3 HakeemOnlyFan, Apr 10, 2018
  4. RyanB

RyanB Member

Fans are really getting bored smh

5. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

GMFGreen

Corrosion likes this.
  6. OTMax

OTMax Member

I think we'll have a balanced attack and each game will have Harden/CP3 and another guy who goes for 20+. I would've said Gordon would come out and smash, but with his injury I don't think that will come to fruition. On defense I can see CP3 turning it up and PJ staying the same pitbull. I don't foresee any unexpected role player to go nuts on either side of the ball. Who knows, Nene, Joe or Ryno might go nuts.

7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

EG is gonna hit some daggers

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

i expect a lot of surprises from iso joe (& cheese).

ghettocheeze and hakeem94 like this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

just curious who would you have trusted to carry the rockets farther last year..regular season then playoffs?

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

everyone needs to step up from harden, cp3, mda, jeff, capela, ariza, ego, down to the last bench player who logs in minutes..

just like \every championship team.. where everyone steps up.. from the superstars, the coaching staff, down to the last bench player need to step up

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i pity the league...rockets gonna demolish everybody

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we shall not be gentlemanly whilst using that broom

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The ONE with the Beard making the most salary?

All counter measures against him, he has to deliver.....but I can see Gordon and GG taking some responsibity on Offense.

I think we have too little trust.

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I can’t wait for Thursday night playoff rehearsal with hopefully the whole squad healthy.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Can we start the playoffs already...

No new threads unless it's a max kellerman breaking news thread

hakeem94 and ghettocheeze like this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Teams are going to pull defenders from Luc, Ariza and Tucker (Joe Johnson if he plays). All 3 (or 4)
    need to step up and shine.

The great Rill Russell was known for blocking shots. He said he didn’t try to block every shot; instead he
    would pick and choose the times he tried to block shots. In the minds of the offensive players, they must
    have felt like I was trying to block everything.

I believe the defense will be similar. Sometimes they will send extra help to defend Harden/CP3...sometimes
    they won’t. It’s up to Harden/CP3 to recognize when the help is coming and from where. Ariza/Luc/Tucker/JJ
    also need to recognize when and from where and be ready to step up. Communicate.

#16 ApacheWarrior, Apr 10, 2018
  17. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Similarly to how our team has played all season then, right? As I'm sure everyone here knows, we've had almost each and every major piece of this team injured, or out of the lineup, for a significant amount of time this season.

Let's take a look, shall we?

7 of our top players have played:

Clint Capela: 73 games
    James Harden: 71 games
    Eric Gordon: 68 games
    Trevor Ariza: 66 games
    Ryan Anderson: 66 games
    Luc Mbah a Moute: 60 games
    Chris Paul: 57 games

That's ninety-nine combined games missed from seven of our top eight players. Ninety-nine. Almost one hundred games missed for a team that added several important pieces in the off-season. Even with this being just their first season all on the court together, and with that very first season's number of games played while completely healthy notably limited - this team has still steamrolled the rest of the NBA.

Again, I'm sure everyone here knows, but allow me:The Rockets are posting a 64-16 record as of now, which is far and away the best record in the league. We broke our very own all-time franchise win record... almost a month ago. With two games left to play, this Houston Rockets team has the best offensive rating of not only this season, but the best offensive rating recorded in NBA history. We are also just outside of having a top 5 defense as well. We've got heart, hustle, and plenty of killer-instinct. Getting home court in the playoffs while your roster is rarely whole is one thing, but setting the league on fire while your roster is consistently short-handed is entirely another.

Seemingly anytime this team suffers a loss, the faith our fans have wavers far too much. We just had our second home loss of 2018. Yes, that's right, our second. Our other home loss of 2018 was on January 4th, to the defending champs, in a game we played well enough to win. Oh yeah, Harden (the league's MVP) wasn't on the floor for that one.

It irks me that a good portion of this fanbase seem so eager to not trust this team. I mean, I get that last season was brutal, but this isn't last year's team by a long shot. We should all be able to see that. I'm not going to let the effort-level in these last handful of games of the regular season, which are absolutely meaningless to us, define my expectations for this year's postseason. A handful of games in which we are sitting guys simply for rest, and are clearly not giving 100% effort in. This is our team playing this situation smart. We should all be thankful that we are even in the position to do so.

I can't sit here and honestly say that I need to see everyone on this team 'step up' and have some killer-instinct, because I feel I've already seen that all damn season long. I expect it to continue, and so should everyone else.

Handles, topfive, vlaurelio and 2 others like this.
  18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I'm excited to see what these guys can do. We should have beat San Antonio last year. I am firmly in the James Harden concussion tin foil group. We just got better by adding Chris Paul at the spot that Beverley used to play. Harrell never played meaningful minutes for us last year anyway. We went from an average starter to arguably the best floor general to ever play the game.

I know Paul has that killer instinct. We've seen it. I want to see Harden show the world that he does too. We've all seen it too. The steely-faced step-back assassin. Houston has known for a while that he's one of the best in the league, time to let the world know that they are lagging behind.

We added depth, defense, and quickness. We can go toe to toe with anybody. I can't believe these guys are as good as they've been.

My only concern is that they've looked lackadaisical the last few games. As if they have forgotten what they're playing for. That attitude better hit the door the moment the playoffs start. There is no room for error. Ask Hakeem. How many last-second shots did we have to make and our opponents have to miss for us to win back to back? Nothing is a given.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

CP3 is the leader of this team. He's the captain of the ship and Harden is the ship.

We go as far as CP3 can guard Harden.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

bobby brown, obviously. he's gonna **** up the west conference.

mark my words, bobby brown will be the finals mvp

im being serous /srs

ghettocheeze likes this.