1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which of our Astros will be All-Stars in 2018?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Merla08, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Hey guys, I haven't been this excited about our off season since... well, since 2017 lol. This year feels different though. I feel like this team is positioned for a repeat and we should be the favorites to win it all again.

That being said, to win a championship, you need All-Stars and I'm expecting this team to be loaded with them! Who are your picks to represent the Astros in the summer classic?

Springer - Yes
    Bregman - Possibly
    Altuve - Yes
    Correa - Yes
    Yuli - Possibly
    Marwin - No, but deserves to be
    Reddick - No
    McCann - No
    Gattis - No

Verlander - Yes
    Keuchel - Yes
    Cole - Yes
    McCullers - Yes, if healthy
    Morton - No

Giles - Yes, will turn his career around

2. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Oh and AJ Hinch

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Keeping in mind that pitchers are selected by managers and the reserves are by managers/players and the final slot is by internet vote...

Springer - Starting
    Bregman - Starting
    Altuve - Starting
    Correa - Starting
    Gurriel - No
    Gonzalez - No
    Fisher - No
    Reddick - No
    McCann - No
    Gattis - No

Verlander - Starting
    Keuchel - Yes
    Cole - No
    McCullers - Final Slot
    Morton - No
    Devenski - Injury Replacement
    Harris - No
    Giles - No

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

A bit optimistic on the pitching (especially Giles). Yuli is a hard no. Will be tough for Bregman just because of the glut of talent at that position. But the big 3 and Verlander/Keuchel seem likely.

5. Merla08

Merla08 Member

With our lineup, I can see Verlander and someone else winning 20 games this season and our top 4 guys winning at least 15 games. It would be amazing to have 3 or 4 of our starting pitchers make the All-Star team.

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This is a fun exercise.

Springer, Altuve and Correa are easily the three most likely position players. Verlander and Keuchel are the most likely pitchers.

After Springer, Altuve and Correa I see three guys who each have a chance to make the team but that I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. Bregman is the most likely of these three guys to make the team though.

Bregman is a really really good 3B but in the AL alone he has to compete with Jose Ramirez, Josh Donaldson, Manny Machado, Adrian Beltre and Kyle Seager. The amount of really good 3B in the AL will make it tough for him to make it as a starter. However I see no reason why he could sneak in as a reserve.

Gurriel is a solid 1B but I just don't see him putting up the power numbers he would need to make the team. Although the vast majority of the top 10 MLB 1B are in the NL so if he has a really strong start to the season there's always a chance he could sneak in. I wouldn't count on it though.

Gonzalez should have been an All-Star last season but I'm just not sure how likely it is that he repeats last years performance. Will he still be a good player that provides great value due to his ability to play all over the place? Absolutely. Is he going to put up a season nearly identical to what he did last season? Most likely not.

Springer - Yes
    Bregman - Possibly as a reserve/fan vote.
    Altuve - Yes
    Correa - Yes
    Gurriel - Not likely unless he has a monster first half
    Gonzalez - Not unless he matches last year's monster numbers
    Fisher - No
    Reddick - No
    McCann - No
    Gattis - No

As for the pitchers, I see Verlander and Keuchel as the most likely All-Stars.

Verlander has the name power and should have no problem putting up numbers worthy of an All-Star selection. The fact that Hinch is in charge of (to a certain degree) choosing the pitching staff should only increase Verlander's chances.

If Keuchel starts the season anything like he did last season he will have no problem making the team. If he's healthy, he's nearly a shoe-in for the team. If he's not healthy then he probably won't make it.

After Verlander and Keuchel, McCullers and Cole are the other two pitchers most likely to make it. With our lineup, our pitching staff should have no problem piling up the wins. If McCullers pitches anything like he did April-June of last season he can easily make the team. Same for Cole... if he pitches like he did back in 2015 then he can easily make the team as well.

Now, it's highly unlikely that any one team would get four pitchers into the all-star game so I would only bet on Keuchel and Verlander at this point.

Verlander - Yes
    Keuchel - Yes
    Cole - No but has a legit chance if he can revert back to 2015 form
    McCullers - No but if he repeats last year's 1st half performance he could very well make the team again
    Morton - No
    Devenski - Probably not given the fact that Hinch likely won't call on Devo for multiple 2-3 inning appearances at quite the rate he did during the 1st half of last season.
    Harris - No
    Giles - No

7. Buck Turgidson

Which ones will wear rings?

That's all that matters.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Springer, Verlander, Keuchel, Cole. Or...1st team ever with 5 SP as all-stars?

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Everybody who was an all-star last year... plus Cole.

10. SuraGotMadHops

The locks will be Correa, Springer, Altuve, and Verlander.

I think Bregman is going to rake this season and he will make it too.

McCullers and Keuchel highly likely but will depend on their health.

I don't think any relievers will make it this year, unless Peacock stays in the pen and performs like he did last year.

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Bregman was our playoff All Star, I pick him to be a lock.

mikol13 likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Bergman had a couple of huge hits and played good defense but other than that he hit .208 with a .673 OPS in the playoffs.

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

He’s ok.
    In my opinion he played the best defense of any player on any team in the playoffs.

#13 mick fry, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  14. bobrek

Which is essentially what I said. He played good defense and had a couple of huge hits.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Didn't even see Sean get in a game, but pretty impressive offense for a pitcher if you ask me.

16. bobrek

Not Sean...it was Dave

17. Buck Turgidson

I just had to look it up...Dave played 17 years in MLB.

That's impressive. '98 Sean 5th starter was also impressive, if you have to lose your job to somebody, Randy Johnson is a good one to tell your kids about.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Just good and a couple? Who would be you playoff mvp? Just curious, probably a good argument for a few guys.

19. juicystream

We are just young whipper snappers compared to bobrek.

20. juicystream

Jose Altuve?
    Carlos Correa? Actually hit well in all 3 series.
    George Springer?
    Anybody but Reddick?