1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where have all the white people gone?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

To the grave.

They are dying.

Two stories, lost of cool interactive graphics.

[rQUOTEr]Why death rates for white women in rural America are spiking

Uptick in white death rates

Improved medical care and public health are lowering death rates in modern societies. Since 1990, rates for African Americans and Hispanics have continued to decline. But beginning around 2000, white death rates began to climb for many age groups.

The chart below shows the overall death rates (calculated as a number of deaths per 100,000 people in each group). The second view shows the change in death rates since 1990, which more dramatically reveals the uptick for whites.

...[/rQUOTEr]

[rQUOTEr]
    A new divide in American death

An urban-rural mortality gap emerges among whites as risky behaviors work to defy modern trends

ite women have been dying prematurely at higher rates since the turn of this century, passing away in their 30s, 40s and 50s in a slow-motion crisis driven by decaying health in small-town America, according to an analysis of national health and mortality statistics by The Washington Post.

Among African Americans, Hispanics and even the oldest white Americans, death rates have continued to fall. But for white women in what should be the prime of their lives, death rates have spiked upward. In one of the hardest-hit groups — rural white women in their late 40s — the death rate has risen by 30 percent.

...[/rQUOTEr]

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I hate articles like this because it shows incomplete data, and doesn't show actual death rates. I suspect that white women are still dying at a much lower rate overall than men and minorities.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

well that wouldn't help OP.

4. rockbox

I was curious and couldn't help doing a little research. As I suspected, according to the CDC, white women have a much lower death rate than white men, black men, and black women. They only trail Asians.

The chart is on page 24 of this link.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

5. Buck Turgidson

OK. So?

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So... why should we debate or discuss their mortality rate in alarmist tones, if they overall have a lower mortality rate than just about everyone else?

It feels kind of like discussing the strategy the Rockets would need in the finals this year against the Cavs. (*sad face*)

pgabriel and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well it should be alarming to that white women who are the standard bearer of ultimate health in our society and a very very large group is going up in their death rate. Because more than like the reason for that is probably affecting us all.

The reason might be affecting African Americans for instance even if their death rate is declining. For instance, perhaps there is a big decline in death rate amongst AA because of improved health care or whatnot. But that big decline is hiding a slower rising increase from something else.

Or maybe it's just the stress of being squeezed into financial ruin from globalization and lower taxes on the rich.

8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I don't understand how this is about politics.

9. Buck Turgidson

Hell, I dunno, so let's talk about something else.

Now I hate to say this, Bob, but there is a serious topic to be discussed here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YWMhrGf2ylw?list=RDYWMhrGf2ylw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wish I were joking, but it's hard to hire responsible/respectable/trustworthy workers in the Hill Country. The tweakers will rip you off eight ways from sunday if you give them a chance. First thing I look at is whiteboy's teeth. It's not all of them, and it's not all just the whiteboys, but you sure have to be careful unless you want a few thousand dollars of equipment (tools, wire, trailers, whatever) stolen out from under you.

The Mexican workers, man, those guys are ****ing solid. They can't afford to **** up or get in trouble, all they want to do is work their ass off and wire some money back to their family in Guanajuato. Much respect to them.

10. B-Bob

Well, RocketsLegend, sincerely, there is a political bit to this and I think it's relevant to you as a Trump supporter.

Along the lines of what Buck just mentioned, formerly middle class white people, blue-collar types, have suffered pretty badly in the changing world. Meth is ripping up whole communities of white people in rural Texas. I've seen it, and that's what Buck is talking about.

Alienated, frustrated white people who used to be able to earn a decent living are a large part of the crowds fueling the Donald Trump phenom, so it's relevant.

(I know this post is a 180˚ different from my last one, but now I'm sympathetic to the topic, even if the original thread title and post were a little incomplete.)

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's not

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's the robots. The robots derked all the jerbs. Go Trump! Ban technology and make America Great Again!

There. Turned it into a D&D thread :).

red likes this.
  13. Cohete Rojo

Because they are people, too. Drugs play a large part into the increase in the death rate. I suppose if this were happening in the rural northeast we'd be hearing about this in the Democratic debates, but since it's mainly happening in flyover mid-western states...

14. rockbox

Drugs and eating like crap are not just a white women issue. It is an everyone issue. Is it a bigger deal now that it affects a demographic that has a lower death rate than almost all others?

We live in a society that thinks the things you buy and the things you consume makes us feel better and happier when the opposite is true.

15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Isn't the death rate 100% for every demographic group?

16. Cohete Rojo

No. Why would you think the death rate for middle-aged whites is 100%?

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If that were true the U.S. would have a population of 0 after one year.

18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

but you won't let those Robots defeat me..

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Most of the white people in my office are in the kitchen talking about The Masters.

20. B-Bob

The gals are secretly on meth tho. Take that to the bank.

peleincubus likes this.