1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When all is said and done, who will be more disappointing: Ken Giles or Ty Lawson?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RHU525, Apr 25, 2016.

?

Ken Giles or Ty Lawson

1. Ken Giles

27 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Ty Lawson

50 vote(s)
    64.9%
  1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Who will be more disappointing. Ken Giles or Ty Lawson

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Giles, because of what we gave up. He needs to be a multi-time all-star caliber player for that to be an acceptable trade (hopefully that will still happen).

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Off top, we gave up more to obtain Giles.

I pray the answer is Lawson, though.

Don't forget Kazmir, Gomez, and to a lesser extent, Fiers.

Bullcrap trades are running rampant.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Bears
    [​IMG]

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ty lawson came off of 3 DWIs and we got him for nothing.

Giles come off of a great season as a prospect and he cost the Stros a ton.

Yeah Giles is the GOAT here.

6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

That's why I said when all is said and done. We gave up a first rounder for him. With Houston's luck that pick will turn out to be the next Kawhi Leonard.

Giles still has time to redeem himself. We know Lawson is gone already.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Giles has 2 losses on the season... while pitching in 4 out of the 6 wins.

Yes, he's been a huge disappointment... and has to be better... but he still remains #4 or #5 on the list of players who's regression this season has the Astros where they are thus far.

Out of all those players (includes Feldman, Fister, McHugh, Gomez, Castro, Gattis, Tucker)... he actually has the age, the stuff, and a guaranteed tenure here to have the highest likelihood of a turnaround.

But day-to-day, wins/losses are largely determined by starting pitching.. and situational hitting... and both of those are currently at league-worse levels.

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I think that we are mad because we feel we gave too much for him.

9. Marteen

Marteen Member

Not even close. Giles has proven to be somewhat useful and has very little mileage compared to Lawson. There's potential and plenty of time to right the ship with Giles, but Lawson was just a clusterf*** that no one expected with the amount of experience he had.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If Giles turns out ****ty than he'd be the bigger failure due to everything we gave up. But he's shown flashes of what he can do while I can't remember a time when Lawson didn't look like a shadow of what he was just last season.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Like most have said, it could easily be Giles if he doesnt get back to where he was when we traded for him.

The thing about Giles is, we gave up the john for him. With Lawson, all we gave up was the toilet paper we wiped our ass with.

If Giles doesnt turn it around to become a top closer like we expected than we dont have a john to **** in anymore and just got **** on.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Off pure production...it would be almost physically impossible to be more disappointing than Ty Lawson.

When you factor in the prices paid to get them? Giles

13. awc713

awc713 Member

Casual reminder that 20 games into an MLB season is roughly the 9th game of an NBA season, and the second half of the 2nd game in an NFL season. So let's take a breather and calm down, folks.

Giles needs to pick up a few ticks on his fastball, but he had the same slow start last year.

Even if Giles does hypothetically botch the rest of the year, the rest of our farm is still in an excellent position.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The poll question didn't ask us to weigh what each player cost their corresponding team.

So on a purely disappointment basis, in my mind, Giles would have to be so bad as to be off the team by August to equal Lawson's ineptitude.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I hear about the "poor start" last year quite a bit, but when I look I just don't see it?

He gave up 2 runs in his first game last year, both unearned.

He then followed that up with 5 straight scoreless outings, 1 inning each and a total of 6 hits, 1 bb and 6 K's

Followed that up with a 4 run outing, but all unearned and while I won't pretend to know how that inning played out, he gave up 2 hits and no walks in that one

Then to finish up April he threw 3 scoreless and hitless outings of an inning each

So he did have the two games where he gave up runs, but the second of those seem to be much more on his defense than him, and 8 other outings last April that were scoreless.

This year he has given up earned runs in 5 of his first 9 outings. At least 1 hit in 8 of 9 outings.

I was fully in support of the trade when it happened, and still think it has a great chance to work out. If Giles figures it out this year, the back end of our bullpen becomes top 5 in all of baseball, if not higher...

But I just don't see the comparison that I keep reading about from many people about his bad start last year and his bad start this year

16. awc713

awc713 Member

I meant that his velocity was down to start the year. I have several friends in Philadelphia that shared this sentiment, i.e., that Giles' velocity picked up as the year went on.

I really hope it does. Throwing two pitches, one of which a 96-97 heater, just wont cut it. If you're going to throw 2 pitches, one needs to be 98+ consistently

17. Buck Turgidson

Oh, I'm pretty sure RHU will be

1 person likes this.
  18. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

90% of closers in the game have 2 pitches, one being a 96-97 mph heater if they're lucky. If they had 3+ out pitches they would be SP.

19. what

what Member

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M9xi6SS52pc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Luhnow is incredibly overrated. He's been below-average dealing with the riches he found when he arrived here in terms of draft picks and pieces.