1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What was your favorite Harry Potter book?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketfan21, Jul 14, 2014.

?

What is your favorite Harry Potter book?

1. Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  5. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  6. Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  1. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

It feels weird asking my basketball brothers and sisters this, because I feel like most my friends think I'm such a geek for liking Harry Potter, but I am making this thread. Also making a thread for favorite movie to see how much the opinion changes.

2. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Picked Philosopher's (cough, Sorcerer's) Stone in the movie thread just because the nostalgia of seeing it for the first time sticks with me the most. As for books, the two biggest on-screen disappointments for me were Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince because they left out SOOO much information that, to me, seemed vital to the plot. With that in mind, the sixth book was the most interesting to me because it revealed the most about Voldemort's early life and intentions to be the most powerful wizard in the world. I really would have liked to have seen more of that on screen. I've always found that Harry was the least interesting character in the books...it's hyperbolic, to be sure, but I would certainly be most interested in a book or two about Dumbledore's or Voldemort's lives.

TL;DR...the book with most re-readability to me is Half-Blood Prince, so I'll go with that.

3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Prisoner of Azkaban and it isn't close. Lupin was my favorite professor in the series.

4. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Interesting to see Prisoner of Azkaban getting so much love. Of the first four, it was definitely my favorite, and I still considered it when choosing in the poll. I wonder if it is because the series began to take a dark turn with this book.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Are you 16 or 17? :confused:

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

First book came out in '97. If people started reading them when they were 8-14, making them 25-31 today. Got a problem with HP, bro?

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Goblet of Fire! Tournaments are fun!

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I've never seen a Harry Potter film or read any of the books. Is there any one in particular I should start with that you experts can recommend?

9. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

One. Easy reads, should get through the whole series fairly quickly

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Nope, no problem, but I think it's still a teenager book.

Regardless, I was asking the OP, but... if you'd like, you can answer, too: Are YOU 16 or 17? :confused:

[​IMG]

11. -Rockets

-Rockets Member

I'm probably in the minority, but the 7th was by far my favorite to read. Just the build up of anticipation leading up to the book release to flipping through each page knowing that a part of your childhood is fading away. Probably one of the best/worst moments of my life when I finally read that last sentence.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not sure I can pick one. All were good, and it has been too many years since I read them (I started in 2003, when I bought the 1st 4 hardbacks for 99 cents from a Book Club Promotion).

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

I really liked the first three. I think mostly because you actually get to see what normal life is like in the Wizarding world. I actually enjoyed seeing them in school, doing some of the more menial stuff. I hated 6 at the time I read it because they killed Dumbledore (I was like 10, so I wasn't used to beloved characters being killed).

I re-read all of the books last summer. To this day, I can barely stomach 5. I hate it.

14. Nook

Nook Member

What is your favorite Harry Potter book?

Hairy Twatter And The Philosopher's Bone.
    Harry Twatter And Her Chamber Of Secretions.
    Harry Twatter And The Prisoner Of Ass Ram.
    Harry Twatter And The Order Of The Pen1s.

YOUR WELCOME

1 person likes this.
  15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

None of them. I'm a grown man.

Yeah, it's twaddle.

16. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

23 and proud fan of Harry Potter and Disney alike!

And I couldn't tell if he was trolling either ha.

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

Mediocre writing... but, I can see why the kids and certain types of young adults/adults would love it...

18. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Order of the Phoenix.

BTW, has anyone read any of J.K. Rowling's adult novels? The Casual Vacancy was the most depressing piece of fiction I took in that year.

19. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I would say at the time of reading, the Goblet of Fire followed by the Deathly Hallows were my favorites.

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I liked 5 the best. That headmistress chick was so deliciously hate-able. Like a Nurse Ratched type of thing. Plus the part when Dumbledore kinda makes the wizard police his b****es (incidentally, I feel this part was spoiled in the movies because the 2nd Dumbledore actor didn't have the gravitas to pull it off properly... sucks the 1st guy died, he was awesome).

Though I have no especially great love of these books, really. I'd rather re-read Dresden files or Robin Hobb stuff for the 8 billionth time than read these a second time.