1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the hell is going on in the Dominican Republic?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

Sorry, Buffett and his mediocre music remind me of that Yacht Rock episode, may not make sense if you hadn't watched the whole web series, most likely wouldn't make sense to youngsters even if you had.

Nevermind, carry on.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Subjective and rhetorical question from your POV, but I will answer anyway.

Not as ignorant as people who go to these countries with blinders on.

Judgmental: I assume you are saying that I am being judgmental of 'Third World Countries'. Absolutely not. I am wondering why anyone would think it's safe, compared to living in the US, to go to one of these places.

Here's the definition of Third World Country:

As a society, the term “third world country” refers to countries with high mortality rates, especially infant mortality rates. They also have an unstable and inconsistent economy. These are countries that contain massive amounts of poverty and in some cases have fewer natural resources than other nations throughout the world. These countries often have to rely on more industrialized countries to aid them and help stabilize their economy.

These countries usually lack economic stability because of the lack of a functioning class system. Usually, the country will have an upper class and a lower class. Without a middle class to fill the gap, there is almost no way for a person to escape poverty because there is no next step for them on the economic ladder. This also allows the wealthy to control all the money in the country. This is detrimental to the economy of the country, and both increases and helps to sustain the poverty running rampant throughout the country while allowing the upper class to keep their wealth to themselves.

These countries often accrue a copious amount of debt from foreign countries because of the constant aid they need from other countries to keep their economy afloat and provide some financial stability to the citizens of the country.
    This doesn't define the US.

Based on this, I would say that you are ignorant and judgmental of me, here.

Uprising likes this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

The US has massive amounts of poverty, in case you didn’t know. In any case, you come across as a condescending person who never traveled outside of his comfort zone. You try to paint the Dominican Republic as some dump, so since you like to be informed, read this:

https://aknextphase.com/the-dominican-republic-third-world-revisited/

Nice to know that the US travel advisory classified it as level 2: exercise increased caution. Sounds like a relatively safe country and best believe for people who travel to the US or even inhabitants going to big cities like LA or NY will exercise increased caution and that’s putting it mildly.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I wonder if they are using Joaquin Phoenix's cocktail recipes from 'The Master'.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You don't get it. I have no problem with these countries. There are great people everywhere in the world. I just don't think you should go there from the US unless you know what you're getting in to. If anything, I am condescending of ignorant Americans who think that a tropical destination deal doesn't come with some hidden costs (like lack of safety and healthcare).

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Not to derail the thread, but I'm increasingly skeptical of this kind of analysis. Looking at the paragraph above, you'd think there is some master economic magician czar that decides whether there is a middle class or not; rather than the result of choices people make. But I see this kind of analysis a lot when people talk about Latin American economic systems. Certainly, government corruption doesn't help economic mobility. But neither does a disdain for education, which I see in a lot in poorer Latin American countries. And yes, I've been to a number of the countries mentioned in this thread, and seen it first hand.