1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the hell is going on in the Dominican Republic?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Went there in 2015. The drinks did not taste right at all. I am sure they are worse now.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Feds are eyeing Bootleg liquor.

3. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

There's a reason why it's one of the cheapest places to vacation at least this side of the hemisphere.

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

Legality. I am assuming those people don't want to end up on ABC 13 with their mug shots...

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

DR is a decent place to visit. Most of these deaths described look like random drug overdoses. Good for them.

6. Chamillionaire

SLIME IN THE ICE MACHINE.

IBTL likes this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member

This is mostly true but some of these resorts are considered higher end.
    Hard rock being one of them.

It can happen at any resort in most countries where there is any kind of 3rd world element.

We went to a resort in cancun recently where the alcohol was watered down. Generally by 2nd or 3rd drink we are feeling it and in this case nothing. We kept going and literally nothing. I suppose that is better than getting some weird additive.

Im at part where if i go to any 3rd world all inclusive resort im taking my own bottles of alcohol and gear. Thats really the only choice.

Even then its not like you can take a carbon monoxide monitor and lab kit everywhere.

I suspect if you tested your big mac at home usa location every time you might be disappointed with the crazy chemicals you find..
    To think 3rd world resorts will collectively get their you know what together is a unlikely.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't eat 'fast food' as a rule. But I hear you, crap is everywhere. My point is, why even go to a 3rd world country resort? There are other viable alternatives which are safer.

Vegas. Unless these people are going for some underage action, in which case, I hope do the world a favor and take a nice long carbon monoxide nap.

Sajan likes this.
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Went to one of the resorts where a death occurred recently back in 2012 or 2013. Had a good time and it was a nice resort. I'm on the side of it being silly to travel all that way and pay that money for something I can do here. Went to Costa Rica 2 years ago and it was a great experience. If we were to go back to a Caribbean-type vacation, CR is where I'd go again.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Probably poison from the alcohol. Who knows if it's intentional.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Wonder if the "crooks" there saw what was happening in Mexico and decided it was a great plan and they should do it themselves?
    Seems to make some sense.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think people are just trying to make money by selling counterfeit alcohol and just didn't spend the time doing any type of quality control. It's not like they are hurting their "brand". I bet you anything the resorts didn't even know. All they knew was they were saving money.

Making alcohol is a chemical process, and lots have people have died because people do it wrong. This is why there is regulation around this stuff.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well it's definitely the alcohol or drugs... (or both).
    _______

Dozens of Jimmy Buffett fans fall seriously ill in the Dominican Republic

A mysterious sickness left dozens of Jimmy Buffett fans seriously ill during a trip to the Dominican Republic, according to reports.

The Central Oklahoma Parrothead Association was vacationing in Punta Cana in April, staying at the Hotel Riu Palace Macao when a number of them were sickened.

"When all was said and done, I lost 19 pounds," one member told NBC News. "And I'm just grateful to be alive at this point."

Another member, Dana Flowers, told KFOR that 47 of the 114 people on the trip developed symptoms and many of them couldn't leave their rooms.

https://www.wfla.com/amp/news/world...usly-ill-in-the-dominican-republic/2081617311

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

We should probably just buy the one way trip at this rate...:eek:

Uprising and Asian Sensation like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Or his music

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The discrepancy in living standards could cause normal illnesses to multiply and get serious.

They should investigate if Latinos or locals get sick there as well.

Conspiracy.

17. Buck Turgidson

NSFW

"They're not people, James Ingram, they're Jimmy Buffett fans."

#37 Buck Turgidson, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Wut

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  19. TheresTheDagger

20. JW86

JW86 Member

@Xerobull you really this ignorant and judgmental? The US is a third world country in plenty of aspects and why should anyone care about that in the first place?